Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

West 50 V1, Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

West 50 V1, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
YUKONFLYR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West 50 V1, Questions

Did a search, anyone know if its ABC, is it a modded Webra or just the crankcase with West parts inside.
Any known problems.

Thanks

Richard
Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: West 50 V1, Questions

They used a Webra carb, case, head and crank and put in their own cylinder and piston. It's a great motor!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

AWESOME engine-
Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: YUKONFLYR

Did a search, anyone know if its ABC, is it a modded Webra or just the crankcase with West parts inside.
Any known problems.

Thanks

Richard
Runs like an absolute bear and is not at all fiddly to setup, start, or run. The odd example seems to have had early running rod problems, mine included, but the repair and return service was top notch. Most have no issues whatsoever and I would not worry about it.

One negative with the motor is that it is side exhaust. With all that well-mannered power, it is a shame about the plumbing in the breeze. But somehow it seems to move along just fine anyway. I used 9-6, 8-8, 8-9 APC sport props at first [in a Magnum R] then moved to clipped 8.8" APC pylon props - I am currently messing with 8.8-8.5, 8.8-8.75, and 8.8-9 trimmed to 8.1 - 8.2", and hand launches are still fine (nothing like outrageous excess power) and top speed is smokin'.

If you're not running a Jett you'd be doing alright with one of these.

MJD

Old 03-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

I ran some numbers comparing the Jett-50 with the West-50 (just on a 9x8 apc) and the West had a 200rpm advantage. I admit though that depending on which prop. you use they can go back and forth but I was surprised that the West was up to the 9x8 job. 17.5K as I recall.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:48 AM
YUKONFLYR

Thanks guys, sounds like a real runner......

I guess I will have to try out this engine with a side order of a Magnum to go with.....

Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: YUKONFLYR

Thanks guys, sounds like a real runner......

I guess I will have to try out this engine with a side order of a Magnum to go with.....

Or a decent Q500 - I think you could mount it with the cylinder at 7:30 and the pipe underslung, I mean to try that when the Magnum it is mounted to "retires". The Magnum flies okay but is overrated IMHO -yes I have one, two actually, the second is spare parts but luckily not needed yet.. [8D] They do look fairly nifty though.