Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Topspeed on a Sig Wonder

Old 04-29-2003, 05:16 AM
WerHop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Topspeed on a Sig Wonder

Hi

I have a sig wonder with a Norvel .15 as a powerplant - there are two questions regarding this plane

1) what is the best prop to get the highest speed for this engine and plane

2) does anyone know the topspeed of such a plane

werner
Old 04-29-2003, 04:02 PM
KevinSheen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Wonder is powered by an OS .15. I've tried various 8x4's and 7x6's on it. I like the ability to hand launch with the 8x4 (it virtually flies out of my hand). The 7x6 is a little faster but I have to give it a good chuck to launch.

If you're out for pure speed, go with a small diameter high pitch prop but honestly, the airfoil is so thick that if you really crave speed, you better find a different plane. Don't get me wrong, my Wonder if fun to fly and it is relatively fast but I've seen old ultra sports that would leave my plane choking on dust.

How much does your's weigh with the Norvel?

good luck,

Kevin
Old 04-29-2003, 04:27 PM
WerHop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Weight of Wonder

Hi,

It weighs roughly around 1.1 with a full fuel tank.

the norvel weighs around 160g incl muffler

werner
Old 04-29-2003, 09:38 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did a sig wonder with a Nelson 40 F1 engine, it was fast, but not as fast as a Diamond dust or something with the same engine. I'd say maybe 180ish. We had a radar on it that said 270 something, but after much debate it was concluded that reading was way out.

I flew one quite a bit with an OS25, it was probably 120, somewhere in there, it's not a super fast bird, but they're fun
Old 04-30-2003, 12:45 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sig Wonder speed

I am going out on limb here but I would say that ultimately a Sig Wonder might be capable of a higher top speed than either a Diamond Dust or a Whiplash.

It is a simple matter of total induced drag. A Wonder is a "nothing" of an airplane, just a teeny little wing really. It is nothing more than a lifting surface sufficient to support a power plant, that's it. The same concept as a Bearcat or Gee Bee. Beef it up enough, put enough horsepower on it and don't think there is any limit to how fast it would go.

There was a post I recall many moons ago on the old RC Online about a guy claiming an unofficial speed record well in excess of 200 mph with a heavily modified Wonder.

The biggest problem with the airplane is visual, it is miniscule. Keeping it in sight is difficult. A fellow at my club had one with I believe a 15 in it and it was plenty fast but darn tough to see.

The idea of a Sig Wonder with some kind of monster power plant is pretty interesting if you are daring enough to try it. If I was going to give it a shot I would surely cover it in florescent orange on top and black and white stripes on the bottom. Even at that it would be tough to see unless you are young and sharp with lightning reflexes and eagle vision.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:18 PM
WerHop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

do you know what this guy modified all - some people say if you make the wing thinner it will go faster, but then it will be more difficult to hand launch because the speed will need to be more to fly proper.

one can make the fuzz more streamlined and make the thinner wing then it should go quite a bit faster - what are your remarks
Old 04-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Sig Wonder speed

Originally posted by Dustflyer

There was a post I recall many moons ago on the old RC Online about a guy claiming an unofficial speed record well in excess of 200 mph with a heavily modified Wonder.
I think what you remember is Jeremy Ferguson's Wonder that posted just before you. I think I remember it took more then one plane to figure out how to modify and keep in one piece when over powered. Maybe Jeremy will share some of the mods made to his Wonder.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:14 PM
LGM Graphix

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys, yeah, I had egg on my face from that post, should have discussed it with the guys with the radar gun before I posted the speed we THOUGHT we had. Having flown Jets now that DO go really fast, I know the wonder wasnt' doing what we though, and our conclusions reflected that as well.

Anyway, for those wanting to mod their wonders, here is what mine had.

First, it was clipped wing by 1.5" on each side 3" total (basically, I didn't put the wingtips on) It was a slightly thinner wing made from foam. ( I cut the core based on the quickie 500 templates I had) The wing ran a carbon fiber spar top and bottom with carbon fiber plates for the wing bolts and the wing was fully sheeted with 1/16" balsa. The tail was a stock tail, but with carbon fiber tape epoxied top and bottom to act as a spar. The vertical fins were glued on with 1/2" triangle stock top and bottom to give them more stability.
The fuse is where I goofed, it was a fuse from an old wonder I had, I didn't change much except I put a top cowl half on the nose to cover as much of the engine as possible. It lasted pretty good for about 200 flights (about 75 of these were with the nelson) but finally the dowel plate in the front let go and the wing parted company with the fuse. I still have the wing, but the rest got destroyed including the engine.

If I was to do it again, I'd keep the wing as I had it, that worked good, but I would use 4 bolts with 1/2" spruce or ply blocks fiberglassed into the fuse. A bigger fuel take would have been nice too as I only got about 2.5 minutes on a tank, also, the engine was cantankerous without having a bladder tank in there, it ran fine at speed, but on the ground I think it had a hard time drawing the fuel with no tank pressure but at speed the little pitot I had put in probaby gave it enough.

The airplane was all covered in ultracote, the wing was cut as one piece, and the spars were full length from tip to tip.

I'm not gonna do it again, but maybe one of you guys will
Old 04-30-2003, 05:15 PM
LGM Graphix

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh, and I never claimed any speed records, official or unofficial, the only unofficial speed record mentioned was that bandit that broke 300mph or whatever in the UK
Old 06-30-2003, 10:45 AM
WerHop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

Got the wonder with the norvel .15 to go 144km/h on one run, no wind and a nice descend to get some speed and off you go!!!

the plane has not been modified at all, only the exhast baffle taked out, i think i get more rpm's without it and it goes really well, i am still going to try the new prop 7x6 on it, we want to race the guys at our club who have a OS wankel 30 or something like that on theirs. We will try to get so fast like them, otherwise i am putting the novaross .15 on it

werner