Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Refueling Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Yellowsierra02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refueling Valve?

I was wondering what you guys where using to refuel your tanks? I've heard the Great planes Valve is bad to leak/air bubbles and its inline with the carb. My tank has 2 vent lines and one fuel line. It looks like somebody would make a refueler that could hook to the extra vent line. So instead of having It inline with the Carb your would be just running one line to the other vent line. Does this make since?

Justin
Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Yellowsierra02

Default RE: Refueling Valve?

I guess I could use this one and block one side off. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=DUB334
Old 04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
YUKONFLYR

When I first started this hobby, I used the fueling valves. Robart makes one that is streamlined, that flips up............

Then I went to a third line with a plug.......

After that I now only use two lines, one for the engine fuel supply and one vent. I pull the line prior to the filter and use that as the fill line. Less complicated, however for my fully cowled mustang, It still has the robart filler.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Fxrs_tim

I use a Jett refueler (www.jettengineering.com). I've gone to bubbleless tanks on all of my planes now. You'll get much more consistent engine runs and don't have to worry about air bubbles in the line due to vibration, etc.. I put a filter just before the carb and just fill from there (disconnect fuel line on the tank side of the filter). If you're running a cowled in motor that you can't get to easily, run a t-fitting on the fuel line (between filter and tank), and run a fuel dot to the side of the plane.

Tim
Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

three line fuel tank for me-with the third line plugged and used for fueling/defueling and the tube in the tank with a 2nd fuel clunk
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Say it with me....FUEL DOTS on TWO LINES.

I had the GP and Robart valves and couldn't throw them away fast enough as both developed air leaks. Now I use fuel dots and aluminum Ts on the two lines and never have issues.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had nothing but problems with an expensive fueler from Slimline installed on a fuel sipping 45 four stroke. My first and last experience with fuelers. Now I use fuel dots and either two or three lines.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

My Take

In 15 airplanes I built I used the DuBro Fuel Valve. Only in one did I encounter a Air Leak.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD745&P=ML

If I would reseat the Valve it would stop the leak.

Dubro offers a rebuid kit for the large Valves I am not sure about the smaller ones.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD687&P=ML

Personally If I needed to I would continue to build and use these Valves in projects.

Ian
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

The small inner o-ring does swell up if left to sit for the winter months. It's best to replace with Dubro rebuild kit. More often the case is that the brass plunger will not release once you disconnect the refueler, then the fuel will dribble out. I too use about 23 Dubro fuelers and have a case of re-build kits for them. Take's only a moment or two to replace inner o-ring. I mean, it's no big thing, if you like the ''Three-line" set-up, no biggie. MM
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
HaveBlue

I use the dubro valve in two planes, I did get the rebuild kits to, but haven't used them yet..no problems thus far and they have been sitting around for 6 to 9 months between using them..but many swear by the dots..I am keen to try these out myself..but as for a refueling valve..haven't had a problem with the dubro unit...when you think about it you can see that these valves have the capacity to cause problems but you do need something in fully cowled engines
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Some cowled designs make access to the feed line difficult, but the pressure line is usually easy to grab. Stand the plane on its' nose and fill through the pressure line, when fuel spills out the carb...you know you're done.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Yellowsierra02

Thanks for all the repleys! I may just use the fuel dots/plugs. There only $.95 for two. I liked the Fueler valve because it looked nice/neat but Im using this on a Jett .60LX and dont want to chance running my motor lean with air bubbles. I wonder if theres some way you can keep the Fuel dot setup looking nice? Maybe some how you can use clips to hold the fuel line in place? If not I guess it want hurt to have it hanging out the bottom of the cowl.

Thanks

Justin
Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some fuel dots actually come as a "system" with a housing you install in the side of the fuselage and then the fuel line and fuel dot are pulled out and inserted back into the housing. Very clean installation and multiple anodized aluminum colors to choose from.

http://www.pspmfg.com/FuelDots.html
Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Yellowsierra02

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Some fuel dots actually come as a "system" with a housing you install in the side of the fuselage and then the fuel line and fuel dot are pulled out and inserted back into the housing. Very clean installation and multiple anodized aluminum colors to choose from.

http://www.pspmfg.com/FuelDots.html
Thanks Kmot! Thats exactly what I was looking for!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Yellowsierra02

I just ordered two!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I just do this......

either a filter (best way) or an inline connector.

In fact, this installation originally was a dubro valve. I had not used one in a while, figured I would give it a fair chance. Lasted on there exactly 3 flameouts. Why no 3 line? This is a bubble tank in there. Experiment was successful... learned what not to do.

Appearance is 100% secondary to 100% reliable.

Three-line system is fair game too. A few of the planes I fly are configured that way when using conventional tanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78646.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	927494