Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

OS 1.20FS needs home, any thoughts?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OS 1.20FS needs home, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
John A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 1.20FS needs home, any thoughts?

After 8 years my Staudacher did a figure nine, with my help of course

I want something fast and attractive for my OS 120 Surpass E. The obvious choices seem to be a Texan (which one?) or an old 60 size pattern ship. I've got some other ships on the boards so an ARF would be nice, but a good kit is also a consideration. I'm a good builder and have vacuum bagger and foam cutter handy. A buddy of mine has a full size RV-4 that I could pattern a paint scheme after if someone has a good kit for that motor.

BTW, what would be a good prop match for your recommended plane and would you have a guess as to what kind of speed to expect? Is there an aftermarket exhaust worth spending any money on, or is there any benefit to running just the exhaust header and leaving the muffler off? Noise isn't an issue at the field.

I've done a little pylon racing in the past (.15 and .40) and know I'm not going to get into those speeds, but I would like something that turns a few heads
Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: OS 1.20FS needs home, any thoughts?

I think I would look toward the AT-6 (Midwest) as you mentioned, or one of the 60-90 size P-51 aircraft. Top flite version is great, and the H9 is not bad either.

Warbirds of any type seem to be a natural choice, since you will be wanting to run a heavy 13x12 or 14x10 prop - or something along those lines for decent speed.

As for a quick pattern aircraft choice...... look for early-on 4c powered designs..... Summit 3,4 - Phx 9, Challenger, Dick Hansons Diaotel and Run-Around, Blue Angel 2, Miss Beetle ..... aircraft of that nature that were designed for early on OS120, Enya120 and the first YS120 engines - all had retracts ..... they tended to be quicker than what is out there today, and with the right prop they can still haul buns.

Also hunt down Dan at Carolina Custom Models (look in classic pattern forum, DeadStick)... see if he has the Tom Atkins T2A-Mk3 or Mk4 available.

Bob
Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 PM
John A

Thanks for the reply, Bob

I've done a bit of looking on the warbirds thread since I've posted. Seems the TF Mustang is out till July with retract issues, and I really don't like the looks of the H9. Just has a cheap feel about it. Maybe it's just the obvious non-scale looks. The World Models one looks to be attractive, but I need to look into your suggestions. All in all, I think the Mustang is sexier than the Texan, but what really counts is how well it flies. I think the Texans I've seen are much better behaved than other warbirds. One of the Bridi birds was what had leaped to mind, but I remember a few of the choices you have there and I'll look them up.
Thanks again. Might have to see if my old Perry pump still works. I've got a 4 cycle one from back in the day, but it's probably not going to work right since it's been at least a decade since I used it.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

glad to be of help.

I was pretty happy with the H9 mustang.... looked fairly good. Its not masters scale, but not bad. Flew very well.

also maybe look toward.... yes... COX. They have the old Pica/platt aircraft, including the T-28 - which is a very good flying design. Not sure how well the 1.20 will fit.

And on the pumps.... there are better ways than pumps.... putting the tank on the CG is not a requirment, and most pilots never could tell the difference.

Oh.... dont forget to look at Thunder Tiger. Two nice reno birds. Yeah, the bear had some problems a while back, but an OS120 would hardly be overpowering it... and the production is better.