Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Picco .46 laying around

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Picco .46 laying around

Old 04-25-2008, 10:37 PM
onesubdrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picco .46 laying around

I've got a picco 46 laying around from my DF days, and am looking for a prop-speed plane to put it in. I don't mind deltas, infact kind of like them, but don't want to hand / dolly launch. I have a set of retracts, so that's an option too. The biggest thing I don't like about the pusher planes is the way the exhaust sits, but I can get over that )

I prefer ARF as my building time is very limited right now, and I'd rather fly than build.

I've thought about the Bobcat 50, but thinking my engine may not be quite enough for it - I figure it's more of a Jett 60 type plane.

Thought about a Quickie 500 type planes, but none ready for retracts, and think that their wing thickness is a little stout (but maybe I'm wrong)

Any suggestions? To recap, speed, retracts (to increase speed), etc. Oh yeah, the picco is a rear exhaust, which I think may cause some problems on some airframes.

any suggestions would be great, and thanks in advance

Wayne
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Picco .46 laying around

Welcome to RCU first off! Those Picco's are bad *****. [)]

The rear exhaust limits you quite a bit. I really think the Rifle by Angel would be a good fit but I think he has discontinued them or at least took a break from making them for awhile.

The Patriot and F-20's are too draggy for the Picco so I would say your best options are the quickee airframes like the Viper/ Predator or a delta like a Dust/WHip/Phenom/ Demon.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
onesubdrvr

Razor

Thanks for the info, as people post suggestions, I'll check them out The picco is AWESOME, I had thought about getting the red-arrow (will hobbies), and just dropping my fan unit in there, but decided against it. I like the ease of starting a standard prop plane. The next DF unit I get will be a full scale model.

Is it possible you could post a couple of links for me? I appreciate the info, but have a tuff time googling them, can't seem to get the search string right.

Thanks!
Wayne
Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 AM
onesubdrvr

Well, after some research, and more consideration, I've narrowed my decision to 3 possibilities (until someone else throws more ideas my way)

I think I'm going to either
1) Go simple with a q500 design (ie predator)

or

2) Go with Either the Nitro Planes Flying Swallow or the Lanier Shrike - does anyone know the feasibility of putting retracts on these?

3) Go with the Nitro Planes BobCat .50, modify the fuselage to encapsulate the pipe, and hope that the strong motor will push it the speed I want (120mph +)

can I get a vote from you other speed guys as to what YOU'D do?

thanks and thanks for the welcome!
Wayne
Old 04-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Razor-RCU

What does the Picco run? 9" prop.? Getting 120 from the Bobcat has been difficult for folks since it is a big airplane. I actually have the smaller version (Super Falcon-25) with a Webra-50 and Ultrathrust muffler which is a fun combo. This size lends itself more to your application.

Also, from what I have read on here the GP Viper seems more popular than the Lanier Predator. I think this is based on the structural integrity but I do not know any specifics.

Here are a few pics for you:

Super Falcon-25
Rifle
Whiplash
Phenom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72300.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	937132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22405.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	937133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85208.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	937134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23274.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	937135  
Old 04-26-2008, 08:08 AM
onesubdrvr

I'm honestly not sure what the picco will run. I suspect that some point this weekend I'll pull the DF unit off of it, and test some props. I imagine it'll turn a 9"x9" at 21k or so, but won't bet on it until I bench test it.

On the Super Falcon, is there anyway to install retracts?

The Rifle is a nice looking plane, but you don't think it's made anymore?

Rolling take-offs are pretty important to me

Thanks again
Wayne
Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 AM
cncswiss1

http://www.speedmodels.nl/

go to the speedmodels tab,
the strega has retracts, is made for a 46 re engine, and is molded so almost an arf.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 AM
onesubdrvr

Thanks for the Link on the Strega, that looks like it could be a great model for me, and I've dropped them an E-Mail

Wayne
Old 04-26-2008, 09:27 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

The APC 9" sport prop's max safe rpm is 21,100. I would look at the 8.8 or 8.75 pylon props in the 9 to 9.75 pitch range. They are rated to 25,500 rpm.

That engine would shine in a clean/fast plane and if you need wheels on and cheap, I would look a the Viper, but you will need the strength mods for sure so read the threads about the Viper.

This is kinda related to your engine:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7407271/tm.htm
Old 04-26-2008, 09:50 AM
onesubdrvr

Thanks for the reminder on the prop, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

It's no so much the cost I'm trying to keep down as the build. I used to really enjoy building, but now, with 5 kids, full time school, full time work and a side business, I don't have time to concentrate on it like I would like.

Do you know anything about the shrike / flying swallow as far as speed comparison with the Q500 planes? I know they are light, and designed for speed, but look alot like a stick design, so maybe it throws me off a little. I've never seen a q500 plane in person, so maybe it's hard to really judge by that, I'm a see fly kind of guy I guess.

Thanks again
Wayne
Old 04-26-2008, 10:41 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

The Shrike and the Swallow are best left to the sport 46/55 class engines. An engine thats resticted to a pylon prop wount have the thrust to get the most out of those two. With a good normal 46 sport engine, those two planes would see about 100mph. The same engine on the Viper would see about 125+. Ive had the ARF Shrike and just didn't like how it landed. The Viper will land very slow, almost trainer slow. Flys like it's on rails,( if you have expo dialed in). But you need to do mods to mount a DF engine in any plane not intended for Rear intake/ rear exhaust.

Speed Models has one working model and the Strega that could work for your DF engine. (still looks like rear carb clearence issues)
http://www.speedmodels.nl/

Or look at other planes (ARF's) and a new engine, The least time/easiest
Old 04-26-2008, 10:44 AM
onesubdrvr

Thanks for the input everyone, a Q500 frame it will be (well, depending on the info I get back from Speed Models on the Strega, as it states it won't be released until June)

I'll let everyone know what I pick.

Thanks again
Wayne
Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Razor-RCU

Great advice from Freakingfast...I was gone yesterday-

Sounds like you have made up your mind (good choice too) but I wanted to address your inquiry.

The Rifle was made my a member right here in RCU named "Angel". He just built a few for us folks who were interested, he is now focusing on a T-38 propjet I think.

The "Super Falcon-25" could be retro-fitted for retracts but it would be a lot of work. It is a somewhat fragile model so strength mods would need to happen also.

That Strega is slick! Pheonix Models also makes a Strega ARF for like $89 bucks, Still4given has a few that are flown with Jett-50 and YS-1.10 power. Have you considered a CF prop.? I would be nervous running a standard APC, although the pylon hubbed ones are rated pretty high RPM-wise.

Keep us posted and have fun!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:56 PM
onesubdrvr

Well, I'm still considering things. I think I'll likely just go with the Viper 500 now, and fly the heck out of it. I'm also considering the Matney Models Dawg Gone It, which is the same design, but all composite, and a little stronger, maybe better considering the strength of the motor, but I don't know that I want to spend an additional $300.00 for a fiberglass/composite plane.

I'll still order a Strega when released, but in the meantime, I'll get my self wet with a 130 (+/-) mph quickie design.

Wayne