Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OS drops .32SX

Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default OS drops .32SX

Sad times, but true. The only real performance engine left in the OS lineup has been discontiued as they announce the new .35AX- an engine that is rated at a meek 13,000 RPM. [&o]

In my opinion, the .32SX was the best engine OS ever built, and they sold it for years. But alas, it is no more, and Tower is out of stock now. So if you've been planning to build a little speed plane you'd better get to your LHS and pick one up to put on the shelf for a while. I just got back from an hour's drive to my closest hobby shop and picked up one of the two he had left in stock.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: OS drops .32SX

major bummer

well I installed 2 into a Nitro planess Cessna 337 (25)

and then I have one in a Kange F3D-30

All Run great!

I wonder how much performance is lost on the AX?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

major bummer

I wonder how much performance is lost on the AX?

No way to tell until they hit the US market and folks get some numbers. Information right now is sparse and conflicting. MAN reported 13,000 RPM but I have seen some other numbers that cannot be verified. None near the 18,000+ the SX would turn unfortunately. I find it odd, though, that the .32SX is discontinued and sold out before the .35AX is even on sale in the US.

As a diehard OS fan I hate to say it, but their lineup looks less and less attractive every day with the new over priced four stroke alpha series and the low revving AX line replacing the proven and well liked FX/SX line. (I will admit to liking the .55AX, but wish they'd left the .46FX alone!)

I still like a lot of the OS engines, but I find with each new design I start hunting NIB engines they've dropped.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The OS32 sx was a great engine and I can't tell you how many gallons of abuse Iv'e poured through it.
I hear the Weba 36 is a hot number and there is allways a Jett 35.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have seen a Jett .35 run, and it is an impressive engine, but you cannot get one for $100.00. That said, I am sure it is worth the price and I may own one in the future, but OS and Jett are in different leagues all together.

My last .32SX ran for almost ten years on a wide variety of planes and survived terrible crashes. I flew it on a Jerry Smith fun fly, a pylon racer, three spads, and a Diamond Dust that lived long enough to get recovered. On the day I lost that DDust with my .32 on it the engine was blowing as much fuel out from under the head as it was out the muffler and still turning 18,000 on the stock muffler.

I hope my new .32 lives half that long.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The .32 is versatile, you can 3D with it, I even flew AMA fast combat with one. It was the best all around engine they made. The CV .15 would be the one I thought was over priced, the .32 SX was a bargain.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:53 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

how does a super tigre 34 w/ a carb compare?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Lomcevak Duck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry MJ, I can't say as I've no experience with that engine.

I have heard good things about the Thunder Tiger .36, but again I've not run one myself.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:52 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its good to see the OS fans of many years coming around to the reality of the engine quality they are getting for their money, the most over priced engine in relation to quality that I have seen in years. No, have not had one in many years, since they went to the cheep cylinders, and the worst bearings in the industry. Now they add insult upon insult with the 4 bolt head system which has got to be more problems coming with the engine, and yet you just keep buying the junk, so they keep recucing cost and quality. I pay a lot less for my Thunder Tigers with better bearings and true ABC construction. They last much longer and outrun all of the equal OS powered things out there. If I want a hard running engine, I pull out a Jett 35, 50, 60 or 90. Yes, twice as expensive as a OS, but more than twice the quality, idle, transition and longevity. Don't know how much running it takes to wear out one of these things, several are over 7 years now and still going as new. Admit they are well cared for as they deserve, and looks like they will outlast me. Hope my grandson enjoys them as much and long as I have. Have not had another diesel Cad either. ENJOY ALL
Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rmenke I started getting that feeling a few years ago with the introduction of the .46AX. Their engines will grow fewer and fewer in my hangar if they continue with the current trends.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think the fx and sx line were the last of the great engines my .61 and .50 still run great and all have several gallons through them
Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
evan-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's all electric anymore anyway.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:04 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what rpm do you get from a JETT .35 with a APC 8x8 on 15% nitro?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BSE .35 R/C with muffler ABC 18,200 9x6

BSE .30 R/C with muffler ABC 17,600 9x6
Old 05-15-2008, 01:16 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm, I don't see much superiority with the Jett .35, if any. The only Jett .35 I ever saw tried for AMA fast combat was mediocre, it had nothing on a Fox .36, definitely not in the same league as a Nelson .36.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I must take exception with the remarks about the OS .46AX design. It seems obvious that the author has not compared the design with that of the FX. I am attaching 3 photos so you can see the differences in the cylinder and head design. It is not a rehash of the older FX engine, but a new and different design for OS. The first time I saw this same type cylinder-head configuration was on a Super Tigre engine many years ago. I think the .91 still uses this design and a 4-bolt head.

In the first photo where both the AX and FX have cylinder heads, the FX is on the left and the AX is on the right. Note the light area back of the fins on front. This is the front transfer port. Notice it is wider on the AX. You'll also see that the head bolts go into the eages of the transfer port area. If they had used a 6-bolt head on the AX with the wide transfer port, the bolts would extend into the transfer area.

The solution is the method I mentioned I first saw on Super Tigre engines. Note in the 3rd photo that the cylinder of the AX on the right extends upwards above the cylinder block. On the FX, the cylinder sits down into the bloch and it flush with the top. Now look at the two heads. The AX head has a deep groove machined into it to fit down over the raised cylinder, giving a tight seal. The FX head sits generally flush with the top.

Works good on Super Tigre and on OS and doesn't need 6 bolts.

As for the rpm range of the AX engines, specifically, the lower rpm and higher torque of the AX series, I think OS is manufacturing to sell to the greatest number of fliers. Most people do not fly speed planes, not very many, actually. The really popular kit now are scale, acrobatic scale and warbirds, and 3D planes. Both of these types tend to drive the flier to a larger prop. If I am selling the most RC engines in the world, I figure I would aim right for the casual scale and 3D/fun fliers.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67496.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	950085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55814.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	950086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25487.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	950087  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No doubt that they are in business to make money. If they are made 100% in Japan by Japanese workers who make a livable wage, they have to know where the market is to compete.
One thing about head bolt arrangements....no way can a 4 bolt design be any better than 6 bolt. It might be barely adequate, but that's about all.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 PM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Other than the model airplane news mag, are there any pics or info on this new .35 engine? I knew this was going to happen when a friend mentioned it a couple of weeks ago.
I think that the Thunder Tiger .36 is a good compromise though. I have an 8-8 on mine and it is turning over 18,000.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

I must take exception with the remarks about the OS .46AX design. It seems obvious that the author has not compared the design with that of the FX. I am attaching 3 photos so you can see the differences in the cylinder and head design. It is not a rehash of the older FX engine, but a new and different design for OS.

Hi Ed, I'm not sure if by "the author" you were referring to rmenke or myself, but I have had many .46FXs and had the AX. I still have an FX and maintain that I prefer it to the new AX. I saw and acknowledge the design and advantage of the grooved AX head that it may prevent some head leakage as the engine ages. When I ran the AX I appreciated the low RPM torque for swinging large props for 3D type flying with a little more grunt than the FX, though I can think of several better choices for both scale and 3D applications than the .46AX.

My experience has been that the FX was a more versatile engine and I will buy a NIB .46FX over a new .46AX any day of the week.

-Respectfully, Steve
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Ed_Moorman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My point was that some people have accused OS of trying to save a few cents by dropping 2 head bolts when this isn't true. This design has worked for years for Super Tigre so OS seems to have copied it. I will admit that OS does not seem to be catering to the high speed fliers any more with its AX series.

I also know many people who love the FX. If I recall history, many people complained when the SF series came out, claiming that the FSRs were better. The same for the FX when it came out. Now it's the AX. Shoot, I remember when the OS .45FSR and the Super Tigre .45 were the 2 hot engines. Those 2 would turn with a tuned pipe. Personally, I thought the ST 45 was the cat's meow.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am certainly in tune with going fast, but long stroke or not my .46 AX is way more powerful than my .46 FX was. It is sad to see the .32 sx go away but I think generally the performance of the newer engines exceeds the previous lineups.
ED, you are right. I know many people that claim many of the older engines run better but I have not found that to be the case. I am just worried about the .25 FX. I just love that engine and hope that it does not go away as well. It was the first FX engine and it looks like it will be the last.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Jburry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm.. Chalk me up as another fan of the AX46. Running mine with 11x6 (hardly a speed prop), taching 13K on the ground. In the air, it's winding out beyond 17.5K, and my mustang is pushing 100mph. Removed (lost) the baffle. Sounds awesome. Pulls hard.

Since I've owned it, it has always started easily, has never deadsticked (50+ flights), and always pulled hard. Once the idle was tuned, transition has always been clean and responsive. I mean it's not a jett or a nelson, but it's no slouch either. The P-box muffler acts like a tuned pipe for me when the baffle's out. Seems happiest unloaded to 16.5+, and once in that range, it doesn't fall back below that without having to resort to a LONG vertical climb. The little black speck kind, almost.

I couldn't be happier with it. I've got a 5# mustang with a 100mph top speed and unlimited vertical.

I bought an ST .46 for a friend last fall too. Turns very similar on the ground RPM at half price, on it's first run. Seems to be a promising engine in it's own right. If that friend ever gets off his ass and finishes his plane (his first), I'll get a better idea of it. I was impressed by it on the stand, though, I must say.

J
Old 05-16-2008, 10:12 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How well will the AX respond to a tuned pipe and "undersized" prop in a speed plane application? With regards to the .32 SX, I already know the answer to that question.
Part of the speed plane deal is the illusion of speed and screaming sound is part of it. The low revving combos don't have it, even though they might be within 10 mph of a much higher revving set up.....
Old 05-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Jburry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll find out later this summer, within reason. I'm not gonna allow it to tach much above 15K on the ground, longevity is important to me and my wallet. 17.5K or so does sound mighty impressive going by, but noone in my club flys glow fast. Last year there was a king kobra that gave me a run for my money (but fell short by 5 or 10 mph), but it recently re-kitted itself. Rumour has it that the club pres. has built the same 'stang as I have and applied an AX to it too.... We'll see.

J
Old 05-17-2008, 02:32 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The P-51 is a majical design, it's faster than it looks like it should be.
Just think, at 18,000 rpm that piston is cycling 300 times per second, but if we don't get 10 years out of a OS.32, something is wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service