Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Putting a BIG carb on a Nelson ?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Putting a BIG carb on a Nelson ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 12:10 AM
turbine guy
My Feedback: (266)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a BIG carb on a Nelson ?

I have a Nelson sport Q500 ABC motor.
It originally came with a smallish Supertiger carb. -thats why the "sport" designation. Top end is a little off campared to the "race" Q500 Nelsons, but it does idle!

I have heard that some have put the Supertiger 3000! carb on this 40 motor and the top end doesn't suffer.

Can someone enlighten me on performance gains and what's needed to convert?

Thanks,
Jake

[email protected]
Old 05-07-2003, 01:32 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Default os 7D

I got my nelson from perf. spec. They put an os 7D on it and said thats the only carb that will work. It works fine til it heats up then the barrel sticks. Maybe i am running too hot or something but it locks up tight until it cools off. I was going to try a jett red carb and see if that works but havent tried it yet. Dont even know if it fits.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the clearances on your bearings... your crankcase shouldn't get that hot...

As for the ST3000 carb... that's a very small carb for a 30cc engine... it is the same carb as on their 10cc (.60) engines. So that would make it about the right size for a Nelson engine.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Mac-The-Knife

Default Carb fr the Nelson

If it is the same size for the Super tigre engines,.60 and up I use the ASP .60 carb and the I.D. of the carb is 4.30",It tunes A hole lot better and it helps the S.T. engines I use on them.I think Horizon hobby has them for around $25.Take care-Wilburn
Old 05-13-2003, 12:48 AM
Fly Fast n Left

I have talked to Dub Jett and asked for a red jett carb for the jett Q-500 motor and I am just going to machine the carb down and make a shim. The difference between the jett and the nelson carbs is .008". As to the actual hole through the carb it should be close to 9mm or 3/8". I have a perry carb on my Q-500 engine and it turns the same rpm's as the stock air barrel carb. The jett carb is a very nice piece of equipment. What is this ASP .60 carb about? A buddy of mine has a Q-500 engine with an O.S. 7D on it and I can turn about 400rpm's quicker

Jacob
Old 05-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Mac-The-Knife

Default Asp 60 size carb

Hi,I use the ASP 60 size carb for it's throat size (4.30") and it tune's realy good.The OS 7D throat size is A lot smaller and I put it on my Super tigre engines,60 and up and have put it on A Enya 60X that is blue printed with A pipe and it turned A Master Airscrew 9/8 at 20,000 rpm's and it tuned A hole lot better than the carb that was on it and with that carb was only hiting 18,500 rpm's.I also think the large Magnum carb 60 and larger is the same I.D. and O.D. as the ASP carb and it tunes good.Take care-Wilburn
Old 05-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Fly Fast n Left

Wilburn-
Will the ASP carb fit in the nelson with out modifications? Do you have a part number that I can order from Horizon directly? I can turn a 8.8X8.75W at 19,600rpm's on the ground on 15% powermaster.

Jacob
Old 05-17-2003, 03:50 AM
Mac-The-Knife

H Jacob,I went the there web site and now they are not selling te ASP engines anymore.Which is not good for me becouse I canot buy anymore ASP carbs from them.I will have to do some seaching for the carbs now. The carb O.D. is 5/8".I will let you know what I find.Take care-Wilburn