Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Phoenix Strega YS110 lost today!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Yellowsierra02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Phoenix Strega YS110 lost today!

Well I got my Phoenix Strega and YS110 project finished about two weeks ago. It was a great flying plane and was really fast. Im going to miss it. I was at the flying field today showing my buddys the new plane. They really liked it. I was on my third flight. I flew it around for 2-3 minutes and it was doing great. I started into some nice barrel rolls and then it happened. The plane was not responding. No up down, left right and I tryed to pull the throttle back but nothing. The next thing I know my plane hits the ground. I was using my DX6 and Im about 100% sure the Receiver went bad. At first I though the battery may have slung loose when I was doing the barrel rolls but I had it zip tied in place so that was not possible. I also noticed the prongs where badly bent on the reciver so that shows it was still pluged in and when it hit the ground the battery slung out causing the plugs to bend over. I flew alot farther away before I crashed so im sure I was not out of range. I mean it was only 50 yards away so it definatly wasnt out of range. I noticed the day before that the aileron servo twitched for a second but didnt think anything about it. Its one thing when you make a mistake and crash. Its another thing when its totally out of your hands and all you can do is watch your plane hit the ground. It was a sad sad day but I held my head up and tryed to hide the pain that I deeply felt. I think the motor is fixable but the plane, reciever, two servos, battery and a few other things are trash. I cant keep but thinking that the stupid AR6000 reciever caused me to loose my plane. It makes me sick. []
Old 05-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Phoenix Strega YS110 lost today!

DX6??
Old 05-25-2008, 12:59 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bummer. No matter how high-tech and fool proof they say the new stuff is, it still relies on thousands of microscopic connections to work perfectly, and there is no margin for error.....either this stuff works 100% or it doesn't work at all.
I love the idea of getting into bigger stuff, but I'm not wealthy enough to take setbacks of this magnitude in stride.
Like Billy H says: there are those who have crashed, there are those who are gonna crash and there are those who are crashing right now.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:26 AM
still4given

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One question, did you use a 4 cell or 5 cell battery?

I lost three planes on Spektrum do to the use of 4 cell flight packs. If the voltage drops below 4.8V, even for a split second, it can cause the receiver to reboot, which takes up to 6 seconds. That is normally too long to wait to gain control of your plane. I don't use anything but 5 cell packs now. Some guys use the capacitor that Spektrum sells and you can also send in receivers and have the upgrade done to them. I just use 5 cells. So far, so good.

Blessings, Terry
Old 05-25-2008, 01:58 AM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What else can one say.....Sorry.....

I've had a Viper 3 years ago that went brain dead and strait into the runway at high speed. There wasn't much left to do a cause of crash.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Yellowsierra02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: still4given

I lost three planes on Spektrum do to the use of 4 cell flight packs. If the voltage drops below 4.8V, even for a split second, it can cause the receiver to reboot, which takes up to 6 seconds. That is normally too long to wait to gain control of your plane. I don't use anything but 5 cell packs now. Some guys use the capacitor that Spektrum sells and you can also send in receivers and have the upgrade done to them. I just use 5 cells. So far, so good.

Blessings, Terry

I used a 5-cell pack. I read the voltage on the pack and it said 5.7 volts. It was alittle low but do you think it went below 4.8 after I pulled two servo controls? My controler was at 10 volts and doesnt start beeping intill 8.9 volts. As far as I can tell on the motor it broke the valve cover, one rocker arm and maybe a pushrod cover. Im not sure if Im going to build another Phoenix Strega or a World models Dago Red. I like them both but I almost want to try something different. Its discouraging and may take a month to save the money to build another but I dont want to give up yet.

Justin
Old 05-25-2008, 12:02 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I lost three planes on Spektrum do to the use of 4 cell flight packs. If the voltage drops below 4.8V, even for a split second, it can cause the receiver to reboot, which takes up to 6 seconds.

Blessings, Terry
The new A123 cells are particularly good for this because of their extremely flat discharge curve. Just a little bit more insurance against a brown out failure.

You are correct, 6 seconds is a LONG time to be watching your plane do whatever it wants without control. Unless you get lucky and have a lot of altitude and/or the nose pointing up when it goes out, it will probably taste dirt.

Mark
Old 05-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Kmot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you used a DX6 in a standard sized model airplane with a large glow engine it is possible you had a failure due to the AR6000 receiver getting its signal blocked. That is why Spektrum sold the DX6 as a Parkflyer radio only, and advised strongly never to use it in a standard model airplane with a glow engine.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Yellowsierra02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've used the DX6 since it came out. I've never had a problem with using it with my gas planes but I guess theres a first for everything. I may sell the dx6 and get a DX6i. Even if it blocked the signal it shouldn't last as long as it did. It felt like 30 seconds before it hit the ground but im sure it was only 4-5 seconds. I just hope in the future if I crash its my fault. It really sucks watching your plane fly out of control and just being able to watch.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:15 PM
jeffk464

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yup, same thing happened to me with futaba's fassst system. Very frustrating.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:36 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have a bunch of guys now running the JR spektrums with multiple satellite receivers on board and it looks like for the most part interference and drop-outs are a thing of the past but early last year there was carnage. I've not seen a single Futaba fassst system at the field. I have a bunch of planes and it would cost too much to change away from 72 MHz and I don't have problems. There has been a learning curve thou. I’ve had bad luck with Polks, Berg and PCM mode, yes you may not agree but we all must set up our own set of rules. I stick with dual conversion for the most part, my exceptions is the JR R700 for my slower fun planes. There are receivers within the same brand name that are my favorite and those I hate, for instance the Hitec 555 or Electron 6 (both discontinued) are great xvr's and the newer Supreme IIs will be used in a shotgun target plane because thats all I find it good for.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
airbusdrvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Blessings, Terry
The voltage for this to occur is something like 3.5 to 3.8 volts and the long reacquisition time is only for the older non-upgraded spektrum and JR receivers. Most older Spektrum and JR receivers that do not have this fast recovery feature will be updated by Horizon for free. Just send it in their service department.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Yellowsierra02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the repleys and suggestions. Its good to here that im not the only one this has happened to but I definatly dont want it to happen to anybody else. I flew my pulse xt40 today with my DX6 and had no problems what so ever. Actually I flew it nearly out of sight and still had no problems. I think I just had a bad receiver. There man made so there not going to be perfect but for the most part they seem to be good. Hopefull I dont have another bad experience like this but Im sure I probley will. I guess its a risk you take.

Happy Flying

Justin
Old 05-26-2008, 12:41 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm with Kmot...I thought the DX6 was a "Park Flyer" system?
Don't remember exactly right now, but doesn't it say something in the instructions about not using that rx. and or system with larger/high powered airplanes?
I could be wrong of course, but seems to me that I read that somewhere when the DX6 first came out?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was your pack at 5.7 with a load or without? Technically a nicad is considered discharged at 1.1v giving you a dead 5 cell pack at 5.5 volts. Also its not so much the voltage but the available current or lack there of that will get you in trouble. And actually you will pull MORE current through your servos with a 5 cell pack as opposed to a 4 cell. If you have never had issues with the "Park Flyer" receiver in your sport planes then by your own account I would look at the battery. It may have only taken a 15min fast charge to save your Strega.

Gary Szetlak
Old 05-26-2008, 04:40 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was using my DX6 and Im about 100% sure the Receiver went bad.
Its one thing when you make a mistake and crash. Its another thing when its totally out of your hands and all you can do is watch your plane hit the ground

I'm sorry to say, but using the DX6 and AR6000 is probably build/pilot error, just not dumb thumbs.
Spektrum says that the DX6 system is for parkfliers.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/FAQ/tm.aspx?m=18

http://www.spektrumrc.com/FAQ/tm.aspx?m=23
Note this line in particular.

The AR6000 receiver is designed for parkflyer and mini helicopter use only and even when used with the DX7 transmitter, the AR6000 must only be used in parkflyer type of aircraft.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1535

THE RADIO SYSTEM AND ITS CORE ADVANTAGES

The Spektrum DX6 is a 6-channel computer system designed to be flown exclusively with parkflyer airplanes and micro/mini helicopters.
Sorry to see you lost your airplane, but it probably could easily have been avoided in this instance.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:00 PM
still4given

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not advocating using the DX6 for nitro driven planes, but I must say that other than a low voltage reboot, I had very good success using them before the DX7 came out. I was careful where I mounted the receive though.

I know that they say the LV is around 3.8 but in each case I had over 4.8 showing on a 1A load on my flight pack. That is why I don't fly with 4 cell packs any more.

Care must be taken not to bottom out the throttle servo. That puts a big draw right from the get-go. It doesn't take much more to pull a small flight pack down enough cause a reboot.

Really sorry about your loss. BTW, I won the Gold class in our last RCPRO race in Kingman flying my Strega with a YS 1.10. It is a really good combination.

Blessings, Terry
Old 05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I lost my LR1 two weekends ago with a the same results. mine went in at over 200 lol. i had pulled up into a fast climb doing rolls on the way up. got pretty high. I was trying to break 200 in a dive with it. i started the half loop to the down leg and lost it. no control at all. i use a 4 cell NiMh 650 pack on it. i guess i will have to switch to 5 cell packs my self in every plane.

with a 5 cell pack you should be drawing less amps because of the high voltage but you have the same draw in wattage
Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Yellowsierra02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I lost my LR1 two weekends ago with a the same results. mine went in at over 200 lol. i had pulled up into a fast climb doing rolls on the way up. got pretty high. I was trying to break 200 in a dive with it. i started the half loop to the down leg and lost it. no control at all. i use a 4 cell NiMh 650 pack on it. i guess i will have to switch to 5 cell packs my self in every plane.

with a 5 cell pack you should be drawing less amps because of the high voltage but you have the same draw in wattage

Do you use a DX6 with your LR1? I wish they didnt quit making those planes. Im guessing that with the load it pulled the battery below 4.8 volts. I simply found the battery pack in the wreakage and pulled it in to see how much voltage it had. It said 5.78 volts. Im sure the DX6 wasnt the smartest thing to use but Its always worked so good before. I have NEVER had a problem with the DX6 before Electric or Gas. I think the pack was simply discharged to much and it caused a reboot! It really hurt to lose the plane. I really loved the plane but I can build another. We all learn from mistakes. Im glad nobody was hurt and I have not lost the love of flying. Im may not have the funds to build another plane at the moment but I still have the love of flying.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Kmot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You may indeed have had a battery issue only. It's hard to know after the fact.

As for the DX6 in standard glow models, I have read lots about people using them and not having any problems. At least, until they have a problem!

At an AMA Convention recently (one or two years ago) the designer of the Spektrum radio was holding seminars. I attended that seminar. The question everyone wanted to know the answer to, was "why only park flyers and not a standard glow" plane?

His answer was because the AR6000 receiver could potentially be blocked from getting its signal by a large chunk of metal. I.E., a glow engine. They had tested it to the ends of the earth, and that was the reaosn why. Because it could get blocked if the conditions were right. So for that reason alone, it was deemed to be sold as a Park Flyer radio only, menaing small electric motor powered aircraft.

A year later, we all know what happened when the DX7 came out. Double receivers at 90° relationship to each other. Full coverage no matter what, where, and how big that chunk of metal engine is.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 AM
airraptor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no i had the AR 6200 6 channel for the dx-7
Old 11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

were you using digital servos, if so there is your culprit, they draw up to 2 amps under full load per servo, so using a larger 5 cell pack will help, also nimh pack have higher internal resistance, and often drop badly under large amp draw
Old 11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There's something ironic about this when people like me are walking around who have flown middle of the road AM and FM equipment for the last 30 years and never lost control due to radio failure. Not that I reject the idea of going 2.4gHz, I just haven't done so yet as I have a good stock of 72mHz now that's doing the job, and I don't fly with large groups. I think I will treat it like laser eye surgery, and wait until it's been around a bit longer.

MJD
Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
airraptor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i switched to 2.4 along time ago and I will never go back. I thinks it is alot better and worth it to get the bugs worked out. 72 megs had problems when it came out and now they are fixed. JR has also speed up the reboot time so these crash's should be close to gone now.

CP said it best and like how i tell all new guys i teach. all R/C planes will crash. maybe not today but some day. I know some planes that have flown for over 20 years but they all got recycled sooner or latter. i just wish i had the cash flow to replace a 20,000 jet when they go in.