Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Magnum engine issues, please tell me they are better than this!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum engine issues, please tell me they are better than this!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 12:33 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Magnum engine issues, please tell me they are better than this!

Ok, first question, who services the west eurotech 50 engine in north america?

Secondly, please tell me these engines are better than this experience.

here is what happened, now, before you think I fudged something up, here is my background experience.

I've flown high performance engines alot, Nelson, YS, Ducted Fan, and turbines. I don't run them lean, I don't NOT follow instructions.

So what happened, that's what I want to know.

Situation:

Airplane: Magnum
Engine: West Eurotech 50 with supplied header and pipe.
Prop: APC 9x7
Fuel: Power Master 10%
Plug: K&B
Temp: 18C (about 66F)

So, I do EXACTLY as the instructions state. Needle open 1.5 turns from closed, Prime engine, connect ni-starter, and the engine starts instantly. Let it run about 40 seconds at that setting and throttle up. At about half throttle, I hear POOF and a puff of smoke comes out the pipe (and it's still rich, the fuel and mess on the back show that)
So, the engine quits right after that. I pull the plug, the coil is smashed up inside the plug and little bits of metal are all inside it.

Very pissed off, I pull the engine, pull the head, uh oh, metal everywhere. Mark and pull the liner, hmmm, no scores, pull the piston, hmmm, conrod bushing doesn't fit the crank pin at all, it's very loose, pull the piston, the bottom of the piston skirt is broken. I mean a BIG piece of the skirt is missing!!! Well, I know where it all is, it's not really missing, just mostly through the engine and pipe. Ironically, no scores on the piston either. Just broken, clean away.

So, what gives? the engine wasn't hot when it quit, there was lots of fuel residue, and I have run engines of this type before.

So, I guess my main question is, who services these engines in North America, and how long am I going to be without an engine?

Jeremy
Old 04-22-2003, 02:35 AM
LGM Graphix

well, the host my pictures were on is screwed up, so no point in having them there :S
Old 04-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you did nothing wrong, just a $h*t happens got a bad one. micro fractured piston caused the crank to go which caused the skirt to go more which caused the crank to go more, you know the story then pop.
if you were in the UK you'd get a three day turn around, no idea over the pond.
We've had nothing like this here, nothing even aproaching a problem and its fair to say our club has some of the very first V1's and probably get more running than most. Other than the tunned MVVS 40's nothing we've seen here lasts better, tho we did kill a few 40's from over use, like i said, the 50's are still strong.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:55 PM
LGM Graphix

I got a phone call from Alan at Weston UK today, they have wonderful customer service. He informed me that my engine makes #6 out of over 2000 sold that have had this problem and that they will ship me a new engine ASAP.

Despite the engine problem I had, due to the customer service provided by Weston UK, and Modelbau USA, I am still satisfied, I will post a follow up once I have the new engine.

Jeremy
Old 04-28-2003, 12:20 AM
klave
My Feedback: (17)

I had the same problem, connecting rod failure. modelbau sent me a new engine right away, and I have had 12 flights on engine
with no problems. the magnum is rocket, flyes great.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:50 AM
LGM Graphix

My new engine arrived today, with the exception of UPS still being a totally worthless company that raped me with a broker fee, I will be putting the new engine in very soon.

Can't wait to run it!!!!!

A super big thank you goes out to Alan at Weston UK and Camilo at Modellbau USA, they have both shown outstanding customer service, and given me great confidence in their product!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If it is truly the 6th engine out of 2000 that failed, that isn't too bad... I would consider a 0.3% failure rate on high performance engines like the West are normal (that's very good actually)... And thumbs up for them if they have the guts to admit that, and replace the broke engine without problems...
Old 05-07-2003, 11:25 AM
simonbsimonb

Default west engine

looks like your screwed if you didnt use prosynth fuel then no warrenty is available
from weston uk

cant understand what happend though bad luck

iive two of these motors and both were hand started when running in with a rich needle setting on a 9x6 prop using prosynth 5 % ( difficult to start because piston ws very tight ABC typical ,but after two or three tanks engines run really sweet

now achiveing 22,000 plus on 10% nitro using 8x9 apc
Old 05-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 out of 2000 is not bad, unless your one of the 6 :-)

Klave had one of the 6 and Modelbeau made good on it promptly.

Magnum flys great, fast, just needed a little tail weight
Old 05-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a look at my post (#46) in this thread....

Did any of you guys meet any of the problems I met with the WEST engine?

This thread]