Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Retracts for the Patriot?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Retracts for the Patriot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:35 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retracts for the Patriot?

Friends

I am going to dust off some partially finished Patriots I have and gitr-done!

1. is the old ARF, all together, just needs an engine and retracts
2. is a 40 sized Kit, same thing with this one. All together but no engine or retracts.

My question is, what retracts would you guys recommend? Any suggestions are appreciated

thanks!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retracts for the Patriot?

Stay away from mechanical units. Other than that, go nuts!
Old 06-14-2008, 10:35 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

I am building the 40 sized patriot now.I almost have it done. I am using
Robart 605hd on the mains and the 607hd on the nose. These are the air up/air down retracts
that are supposed to be for the big patriot. they fit good. I am using 2.5"wheels all
around because of the thick SOD grass that I fly off of. so the 3/16 wire is a big plus for me.
I also doubled up on all the landng gear blocks.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Spring Air (605's??) and be done with it-

Post pics please-
Old 06-19-2008, 07:12 AM
phjoker

I am getting there. I fully sheeted the wings, and put the aileron servos in the wings.
I will be using the torque rods in the wings for flaps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50164.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	973674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90391.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	973675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91570.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	973676  
Old 06-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Grodus

I have a set of Hobbico mech retracts in mine. Mains operate with a retract servo, nose with a std servo. Fly mostly off grass, and in 16 yrs the gear has NEVER failed to operate. This set up cost 100.00 or less.

Cody
Old 06-19-2008, 12:59 PM
SpeedBoy

What advantages have the air retracts against the mech retracts about function once installed ???

I have been using the mech for 6 years and like Grodus has never failed , mine are Dave Brown.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:10 PM
phjoker

I am not sure. I never used the mechanical retracts.
everything I have is air. I am only using the robart 605 & 607's
because I had them laying around and they fit nice.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:03 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Spring Air (605's??) and be done with it-

Post pics please-

didnt see them on retracts.com what did I miss or not see?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

I had Hobbico mechanicals in mine. They developed way too much slop for my taste.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:23 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

The spring air series you want for a patriot is the 100 series, either the 101 or if you fly from grass I'd use the 101 HD, same gear but with 3/16" struts instead of 5/32".

They used to make a slimline 100 series as well, but I don't think they were needed for the patriot.

You can get either a belly or firewall mount nose gear in that series.

http://www.retracts.com/Retrax_100.htm

As for benefits of air vs mechanical, there are many IMO.

1. They are easier to set up, you have only one pushrod from a servo to a valve, easy, doesn't have to run a dead straight line, doesn't even have to be a retract servo.

2. Your air valve servo can be a micro servo, saves a large amount of weight over a retract servo

3. In a patriot you save one full servo since you need a retract servo in the wing AND one in the fuse for the nose gear if using mechanicals.

4. There is no chance of a bent gear wire causing a gear to stick in the wheel well and have the servo stall, drain your battery and boom, no more airplane....

Yes it does take up a bit more space if you consider the air tank and fill valves, but they weigh almost nothing so you can mount them where-ever you want to. Generally speaking, mechanical retracts have plastic bodies as well, I have broken many a mechanical retract over the years, never had a problem with air.

The only downside to Spring Air retracts is the wheels don't stay tucked in the wing without air pressure so transport can be a bit of a pain, however, you can retract the gear, put a small 1/8" dowel into the frame to keep the air cylinder from moving and lock them in the up position for transport, just a small bit of extra work.

I definitely prefer air over mechanical
Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Grodus

I admit, my nose unit has slop, but it works and it works all the time. I could spen $15 and buy another unit, after 16yrs, I've got my moneys worth I think. I deal with air systems in my turbine powered airplanes. 90% of my maintainance issues involve either the retract or the brake system. I keep the patriot so I have something that know will operate correctly at the field. Their is something to be said for simplicity. If you have good luck with air systems, that's great, use them. Personally, I would never consider air gear in a Patriot. Just my opinion.

Cody
Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 AM
SpeedBoy

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

As for benefits of air vs mechanical, there are many IMO.

1. They are easier to set up, you have only one pushrod from a servo to a valve, easy, doesn't have to run a dead straight line, doesn't even have to be a retract servo.

2. Your air valve servo can be a micro servo, saves a large amount of weight over a retract servo

3. In a patriot you save one full servo since you need a retract servo in the wing AND one in the fuse for the nose gear if using mechanicals.

4. There is no chance of a bent gear wire causing a gear to stick in the wheel well and have the servo stall, drain your battery and boom, no more airplane....

Yes it does take up a bit more space if you consider the air tank and fill valves, but they weigh almost nothing so you can mount them where-ever you want to. Generally speaking, mechanical retracts have plastic bodies as well, I have broken many a mechanical retract over the years, never had a problem with air.

The only downside to Spring Air retracts is the wheels don't stay tucked in the wing without air pressure so transport can be a bit of a pain, however, you can retract the gear, put a small 1/8" dowel into the frame to keep the air cylinder from moving and lock them in the up position for transport, just a small bit of extra work.

I definitely prefer air over mechanical
Thanks LGM Graphix that's answering some of my doubts that I had

I've never had Spring Air Rtetracts , the only reference wich I had from it were a buch of guys getting a hard time on the field with his own , I guess they has had something wrong on it .

Btw I think another downside to Spring Air Rretracts is his cost .