Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

YS 120AC vs 120NC

Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Rod Bender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default YS 120AC vs 120NC

I am trying to find out what the significant difference is between the AC & NC YS 120 engines? Other than the air chamber? Is one better than the other? if so why?

I have a YS91 & 110, both with the AC design, and am looking to purchase a 120, but wanted to know which design was better and why?

Thanks in advance, Greg
Old 07-03-2008, 04:43 AM
C_Roundy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: YS 120AC vs 120NC

Well, I will tell you what I do know. First, back across the years that YS still manufactured any 1.20's (ending about 2002/2003) There had been the SC's, NC's, and apparently some AC's.... I will explain the basic history thus > SC's are sought after hard by guys that like to build their own race engine from a basic block. NC's were right out of the box supercharged and compressed pretty hard (that was their death knoll)... If you sent one back for service at that time you would get it back decompressed.

If you want to understand the mind of MR. Y. and what drives him, it has always been exactly what engine he can build and still pass tech. inspection at the F.A.I. pattern competitions. Starting WAAY back in the day of fast turn-around pattern .60, .80, and .90 two strokes. When the well deserved rewards of his efforts in that era (with his original pump design) paid off he made something almost magic right out of the gate with his FIRST supercharged fuel injected Four-Strokes. They are ALL historic in regards to a specific power output (in proportion to displacement) especialy for a four-stroke engine! ...

I realise that the second paragraph is off your requested topic -BUT- we both know what you really want, the magic bullet. Yer gonna have to work for that.

Chuck Roundy
RC Country hobbies
Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 AM
PJ_TankPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: YS 120AC vs 120NC

I am curious about your reasons for wanting a 1.20.

The new 1.10-S is a half pound lighter than a 1.20 with equivalent power.