Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

The Need For Speed!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

The Need For Speed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:21 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Need For Speed!!!

Usually I fly S-L-O-W.
But every so often, I feel the need for speed.

I used to race Quickie 500.
This time around, I don't plan to go racing, but I do want a GO-FAST.
I want to get an engine from Dub Jett and put it on something that will go 140 plus.
I want to blast down the runway at 5 feet off the deck just below Mach One.
Whatever it is....it needs to be an ARF.
I invite your suggestions.
Regards
JC
Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: The Need For Speed!!!

Why not a Quickee, they come in ARF...
Old 07-04-2008, 09:54 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

Usually I fly S-L-O-W.

I want to get an engine from Dub Jett and put it on something that will go 140 plus.
Regards
JC
Easy:

1. Buy an ARF Quickie, like a Viper or Predator.
2. Make the mods recommended for durability and sheer survival as recommended on here and on the Q500 forum.
3. Buy a Jett 60LX, break it in exactly as they say to, then bolt it on the Quickie with a suitable pylon prop as recommended by Jett.
4. You can do 3. at the same time as 1. & 2.
5. Go fly.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:05 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-05-2008, 11:51 AM
TIA

140 with a Jett 60LX? Really?

Wow that sounds cool!

Any problem balancing the cg with this motor and larger fuel tank combo?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:34 PM
freakingfast

[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 07-05-2008, 10:47 PM
MJD

Would a weighted prop nut (brass) work to fix the CG ? This plane has over 200 flights on it and I pulled the engine because the crank broke.
I think adding a weighted prop nut would merely reduce the time it takes to break the crank. The precession forces generated by the heavy brass nut at 20k+ rpm and 20g turns would be pretty cruel to the engine I think. I'd sooner get it as far forward as possible but mounted to the engine case or the mount.

MJD
Old 07-05-2008, 11:07 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need weight, just put a slug of lead wrapped in foam into the backplate recess.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:20 AM
freakingfast

The point of the post was missed. In order to eliminate confusion. DELETE.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: MJD

Would a weighted prop nut (brass) work to fix the CG ? This plane has over 200 flights on it and I pulled the engine because the crank broke.
I think adding a weighted prop nut would merely reduce the time it takes to break the crank. The precession forces generated by the heavy brass nut at 20k+ rpm and 20g turns would be pretty cruel to the engine I think. I'd sooner get it as far forward as possible but mounted to the engine case or the mount.

MJD
Is this post in the wrong thread? I do not see the above original quote here in this thread. It seems the concern was that it would be nose heavy because of the 60 engine and larger tank. Since the 60LX is a forty size case it would not be an issue. A Jett 8 oz tank may work will in a quickie if the 2" diameter isn't too big.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:17 PM
robert92679

Why so high up?? Gotta get it down low.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

MJD
Is this post in the wrong thread? I do not see the above original quote here in this thread. It seems the concern was that it would be nose heavy because of the 60 engine and larger tank. Since the 60LX is a forty size case it would not be an issue. A Jett 8 oz tank may work will in a quickie if the 2" diameter isn't too big.
You got me there - there was a message there that had this in it.. really.. [sm=bananahead.gif]. Something about fixing the CG problem with a heavy prop nut.

WTHeck?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
daven

A post was editied by the original poster and removed the content. I deleted the now empty posts to clean up the thread, although now it has a hole in it.

Not sure I would use an engine with a tuned pipe on a quickie, why don't you look at the sport Jett 40/46/50 with cast case and side exhause. All will get you to 140 mph with a quicke style airplane.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: daven

A post was editied by the original poster and removed the content. I deleted the now empty posts to clean up the thread, although now it has a hole in it.

Not sure I would use an engine with a tuned pipe on a quickie, why don't you look at the sport Jett 40/46/50 with cast case and side exhause. All will get you to 140 mph with a quicke style airplane.
If the engine is to have other uses beyond all out top speed, then the Sport Jett .50 is perhaps a more versatile choice, as it is a perfect drop in for so many .40-.46 sized sport aircraft. But isn't the 60LX also available in SE to be used with the tuned mufflers? Now I forget..

Actually I have started work on a on old Doddger quickie kit, to which I am fitting a FIRE ST X .45 with tuned pipe and fiberglass engine/pipe cowling. For what purpose I am not sure, other than to give the engine a home and to do something fun.

MJD

Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

But isn't the 60LX also available in SE to be used with the tuned mufflers? Now I forget..

MJD
Yep
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80420.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	985712  
Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Usually I fly S-L-O-W.

Regards
JC
Lots of good info here........

Viper ARF....
SJ-50 engine ...... if you want, up it to include the LX muffler.
8.8x8.5 prop
No issue hitting 140.

You will also see quite a few posts about the Weston Magnum. Fun little plane.
Same engine as above.
Only difference here is you have no landing gear.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM
David Hill
My Feedback: (2)

The Jett engine are great, but to be honest, pick up a used Nelson SS 428 motor, they are real cheap now and will last forever. I have bought a few and put the OS 61FX carb on it using a sleeve insert. It will ldle farelly well and boy does it go. I have one in a Vector and another in an old Prather Toni. I bought the carb and engines on Ebay for $160 total. It is almost 2 ounces lighter than the Jett 50. The Vector does over 150 and the Toni in the mid 140's. I had a Jett 50 in the Toni and it was almost 8 mph slower.

David
Old 07-10-2008, 12:32 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Yep, used Q-500 engines are a good value. Just ensure you are getting a good engine and not one that has been abused.

Im not sure on that 2oz though. AAC and the short muffler might add up to close... not sure.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
daven

I agree with Bob, some of the Jetts and Nelsons I've seen on the auction site I wouldn't touch.

I've sold 5 or 6 Nelsons there over the past year or so, and you use to get $225 for a good used motor, but now its down closer to $150. I've kept the few short strokes I have left and will sell them to any local that is interested in moving up to that racing class.

I use primarily Nelsons for racing, but love the sport jetts, and have them on all of my sport planes. Great idle, transition, and unload. Tough to beat. A 428 nelson will only be happy spinning over 19k, so I don't see it as a great option for most sport planes.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM
YUKONFLYR

8 or so years ago Performance Specialties sold Nelson Sport engines with a carb on it for sport use. Not sure if it was a basic quickee engine with a carb or not. Not available anymore!

I purchased a Nelson Q500 engine of the auction site. Prior to running it I pulled it apart and found the rod small end siezed to the piston pin. I replaced the pin for $8.00. On 10% the engine will spin almost 19000, I think it was 18600 and it is mostly worn out. Not much compression left compared to a new one. So I paid $150.00 plus the $8.00 for the pin. Not bad for a x racing motor that will now be used as a pylon trainer engine.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:42 PM
daven

For sport flying, even a worn nelson/jett will haul butt. The Short Strokes were unbelievably reliable motors considering the rpm and stress on the case/piston/crank/etc..

I had close to 200 flights on a Q40 motor and it was still competitive. I don't think we'll see that with the Long Strokes unfortunately.

The difference between a top of the line motor and an average one is only 5-10 mph. Means a lot over 2 1/2 mile course, but very little to a sport flier.

Nelson did have a sport version available, but I don't think many were sold. They were quite a bit more expensive than the Jetts at the time.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM
David Hill

Hi Guys,
Don't get me wrong, Jetts are great sport motors, I have several. All I was saying is the Nelson SS with an OS carb is a great go fast engine. It may not idle quite as low as a jett, but if you take out all of the liner shims and set the clearence to .012-.015 it has tons of torque and will unload even if you pull it down in the low 18 k on the ground.

David
Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
russm

d.hill, your telling me you achieved 140+ mph w/ your toni-sj50 setup? what prop ?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
David Hill

Hello,
No , maybe I did not say it clearly. With the Nelson it is in the mid 140's. The Jett 50 was 8mph lower, around 135 or so. The best prop I found for it were reworked Rev-Up 9x8 1/2 props. I cut them down to 8 3/4 reworking the blades a bit like we used to do for racing. The Bolly 9.25x7 CF is also a great prop.

David
Old 07-11-2008, 07:02 PM
russm

what is a pranther toni?