Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

west eurotek VS. Jett

Old 05-15-2003, 12:40 AM
jetsett
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default west eurotek VS. Jett

West Eurotek/ or /Jett .50?????
Thinking about getting one of these engines. What True RPM's are you getting with these engines? I have a YS.45 on my magnum right now. I am getting around 18,000 running 8x10. However, it is a little "tempermental". I am wondering if a Jett or West eurotek can produce these RPm's with the 8x10.
Thanks
Don
Old 05-15-2003, 01:53 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 8X10

Don,

I remember trying the 8X10 on my Jett FIRE 50 and getting 18,000 plus rpm, I can't recall the exact number.

I flew my Diamond Dust once with that prop and didn't get any increase in performance, it was actually slower. I was better off with the 9X10 turning 16,000.

I have learned from experience, at least in the case of a Diamond Dust, that there is more to speed than just rpm. You must also have a certain amount of thrust for a given amount of weight and drag. The best way to illustrate this is to use an extreme example. If you turned, say, a 5X10 at 32,000 rpm on a Diamond Dust do you think you would go twice as fast as with a 9X10 turning 16,000 rpm? I don't think so. In all likelihood you could never launch the airplane let alone even fly it with any kind of speed at all.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: west eurotek VS. Jett

My Sport Jett 50 with a SS Jet muffler would turn a 9x8 APC at 18,000 plus rpm. My thrust calculator shows the 9x8 with a much higher load factor then the 8x10.

If you go with a Sport Jett I would consider the shorter SS or Quickie Jett muffler for the smaller props.

The Jett does cost more but you can't beat the quality or service.