Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Flight times?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight times?

Hey guys!

I finally got my first 'speed' plane going and got in 6 flights today. This going fast stuff is addicting!

So the plane is a gp viper 500 with a jet 50 fire my problem is the fuel burn I have a 6 oz tank that only last 3 minutes Does that sound about right?

Any tips on maybe getting this combo a lil fast?

Steven
Old 08-02-2008, 10:17 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Flight times?

ORIGINAL: Flying freak

Hey guys!

I finally got my first 'speed' plane going and got in 6 flights today. This going fast stuff is addicting!

So the plane is a gp viper 500 with a jet 50 fire my problem is the fuel burn I have a 6 oz tank that only last 3 minutes Does that sound about right?

Any tips on maybe getting this combo a lil fast?

Steven
A little fuel burned on the ground and a little left in the tank plus three minutes of flying, yeah that sounds reasonable. If you poke around on Jett's website, somewhere there is a comment on fuel consumption, which says something along the lines that to make power, his engines burn alcohol and nitromethane, and they do that quite well. In other words, yeah they eat fuel, and why not? To produce more power, you must burn more fuel per second. If you had an OS .50 producing the same power, it would suck the tank dry in the same time. Sure, there can be differences in fuel consumption rate due to the efficiency of the respective engines, but you won't find those differences to be very significant.

MJD
Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Any run sheet data from a dyno facility will include the fuel consumption per hour. Any tweak you can come up with to increase that figure is a good one, except for gross underpropping. Even the combat .36s average 2 ozs per minute.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! 2oz/min on a .36?

I thought my .32SX was one of the most efficient engines I'd ever run.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should try burning a little nitro. Racing .40's go through 3 oz/min on 65% fuel.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:37 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

It seems like that's about right for fuel consumption. Is your tank near empty after the flight? If there’s a lot of fuel left than you may be foaming and its lean quitting. On my viper and stock tank with a Webra 55 I have my timer set to 3 minutes. When the timer goes off I throttle back and make one cool down lap (for my brain, not the engine ) and land.
Same routine with my Diamond Dust, but that OS 46 ducted fan engine eats 8oz. in 2 minutes 45 seconds so my timer is set to 2 ½ minutes. I like to set up for landing and I don’t want the engine to quit/lean at WOT, the glow plugs last much longer, that’s why I use the timer.

If you are using pylon props now, try a APC 9X9 for the heck of it. I swear by these on my YS 45’s. Just inspect it for white marks on the blades near the hub after each flight and replace if found. It may take 30 flights to show if ever.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:17 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Yep, and my K90 boat motors would drain a 22oz tank in 1:45. Fuel = HP. Plain and simple.

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

You should try burning a little nitro. Racing .40's go through 3 oz/min on 65% fuel.