Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike 40 ARF

Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Shrike 40 ARF

I'm assembling a Shrike 40 ARF. The arf has a aluminum wing tube and bolt locations. The instructions want me to remove the covering on the fuseage comon to the wing root. This is so the wings can be permanatly bonded. I'm thinking why bother??? Any one build one of these keeping the wings removable? If so how did things work out?

Regards,
Bart
Old 07-31-2008, 03:18 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Shrike 40 ARF

ORIGINAL: b.bixel

I'm assembling a Shrike 40 ARF. The arf has a aluminum wing tube and bolt locations. The instructions want me to remove the covering on the fuseage comon to the wing root. This is so the wings can be permanatly bonded. I'm thinking why bother??? Any one build one of these keeping the wings removable? If so how did things work out?

Regards,
Bart

The alm tube is the structural member that connects both wings to the fuse. Without it, the wings will come off before it gets off the ground. You should be able to find the hole in the fuse for the tube. Cut it out, insert the tube/wing halfs, mark the wing outline and then remove the covering. I would try to keep as much covering on the connection as possible to keep out the gunk. Both wing halfs must be connected to the common tube, takes very little to keep them in place. ENJOY
Old 07-31-2008, 07:40 PM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All the required holes are in the fuselage. I plan on using the Al tube. I just didn't want to glue the wings to the fuselage. I plan using bolts to hold the wings tight against the fuse, just like any IMAC type aircraft.

Regards,
Bart
Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I own the 40 Shrike but not the ARF. What you are trying to do may work but some reinforcement around where the wing will bolt on may be needed. G force stresses would be absorbed by the entire wing root if glued on and at isolated points if bolted on. The size of the 40 Shrike will easily fit in most trunks or back seats so why not make the wing permanent?