Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

BTE Delta Vortex and Jett muffler help

Old 08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Zman39
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default BTE Delta Vortex and Jett muffler help

I was hoping that someone that has installed a nelson or Jett muffler (I am using the Jett 90L with red tuned muffler)on the Delta Vortex could give me some ideas on how to modify wing to handle this muffler since it wants to hit it. I can't really side mount it because I have retracts and it wouldnt take long at all for the wheel well to be soaked with oil.

Any info much appreciated.

Z
Old 08-04-2008, 02:15 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BTE Delta Vortex and Jett muffler help

side mount put exhaust over wing.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:38 PM
ArthurD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just cut the wing sheeting to give the muffler room. Same thing happens with the OS91FX.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Zman39

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ArthurD

Just cut the wing sheeting to give the muffler room. Same thing happens with the OS91FX.
Do you fill in the hole with something in a concave shape? or just leave it a hole? I was thinking of trying to figure out to take some real thin aluminum sheet and form it but maybe I am not needing to do that?

Thanks

Z
Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM
ArthurD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Covering the hole was tried, just to make it pretty, but it really served no other purpose. Just carefully trim away the balsa sheeting and fly it. You may want to CA the Monokote at the edges. If all this makes you nervous you can always use a spacer (extension) between the muffler and the engine.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
ArthurD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tell us a little more about the retracts. What did you use? How did it affect flight performance?

I tried that along with a Webra 1.20 engine but the whole thing was too heavy. I've been through seven of the Delta Fighter 90 ARF's (almost the same thing as the Vortex) and the best set-up I found was the OS91FX with UltraThrust muffler, 12X8 APC prop, fixed landing gear, racing wheels, no canopy. With the Winged Shadow "How Fast" unit it consistantly will do 128 MPH. They're a lot of fun, easy to fly, make you look good and they look great in the air or on the ground. Only problem is how to transport it to the field. I have to let part of it hang out of my trunk.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just rotate the mount....

sorry camera needs batteries
Old 08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Zman39

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ArthurD

Tell us a little more about the retracts. What did you use? How did it affect flight performance?

I tried that along with a Webra 1.20 engine but the whole thing was too heavy. I've been through seven of the Delta Fighter 90 ARF's (almost the same thing as the Vortex) and the best set-up I found was the OS91FX with UltraThrust muffler, 12X8 APC prop, fixed landing gear, racing wheels, no canopy. With the Winged Shadow "How Fast" unit it consistantly will do 128 MPH. They're a lot of fun, easy to fly, make you look good and they look great in the air or on the ground. Only problem is how to transport it to the field. I have to let part of it hang out of my trunk.

The retracts are rom-air, which I am not sure are made anymore. If i didnt have those laying around, I would have looked for some on ebay, very consistent and fairly light. My next choice would have been spring air. I can't tell you about flight performance yet as she is RTF as soon as I figure out this muffler situation (probably just cut a hole. I have four servos in rear (2-elevons 2-rudder for airbrakes). I then put a 5 cell 2000 mah nimh pack in very back and no tail (dead) weight was needed. Total RTF weight dry is 7.9 pounds, not bad.

Also trying to find out what prop will work best on this Jett 90L. I would assume it will have considerable more power than OS 91 but also heard it likes the smaller props to rev higher than a 13x8 would let it.

Once I get these two things ironed out, I will hopefully fly it this weekend.

Z
Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
ArthurD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like you have it worked out. Outstanding on the balance without adding dead weight to the tail. It will make very pretty landings if the CG is where the book says. Looks like the space shuttle coming in; nose high, slow, under control.

The OS91FX, even compared to Jett or Nelson. is a suprising package of power. I've had all three on these Delta's and the OS is my favorite for several reasons. And initial cost is NOT one of them. The OS is a very powerful, light, high power-to-weight ratio, good running engine in the exhaust and prop configuration mentioned above.

Let us know how your package turns out. It will be interesting to follow your progress. You'll have a lot of fun with it.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zman39

I was hoping that someone that has installed a nelson or Jett muffler (I am using the Jett 90L with red tuned muffler)on the Delta Vortex could give me some ideas on how to modify wing to handle this muffler since it wants to hit it. I can't really side mount it because I have retracts and it wouldnt take long at all for the wheel well to be soaked with oil.

Any info much appreciated.

Z
lets try these pix
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93824.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1005813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83609.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1005814  
Old 08-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Barry_DVRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does this help?

Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10416.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1007137  
Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 AM
Zman39

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys, appreciate the pics. Love the look of the pipe but it looks like it would interfere with my front retract. Anyway, I got it on and will give it a go this weekend!

Thx
Z