Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Nova Rossi - Any one using ?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Nova Rossi - Any one using ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nova Rossi - Any one using ?

I'm wanting to know if anyone is using the .15 and .21 airplane engines for their speed planes? They have hard to believe rpm figures on these two ( 34,000 ) I also read somewhere that the .21 was selling on sale somewhere for 80.00 - anybody know anything? Thanks in advance
Old 05-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

They are built for these rpm levels... and for use with a tuned pipe...
I saw one running on a muffler and it didn't perform very well... IMO these things are ment to run on a pipe.

80 bucks? That must be for an old model or something... the new models are very expensive...
Old 05-19-2003, 11:44 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I thought about using car engines also because of there high power and high rpm's.

But they wont hit those rpm's with any prop or pipe. I think it would be a pain getting the engine to rev up high with a prop and get up on pipe to achieve those rpm's. If the engine is not on pipe it will run like any other sport engine.

It would be like driving the nitro car with a gear way to tall and it never revving up high enough to get on pipe to hit max power. The power is on the pipe and not full time.

Then again it may work with a prop modded. Kinda of hard to tell unless someone tries it.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:29 PM
Paulus

A lot of guys over here are using novarossi 20 engines on their club 20 racers with a irvine magic muffler and an APC 7x6 prop. Reliabiltiy is great and these engines almost never burn plugs.

Paul
Old 05-20-2003, 10:39 PM
FlooredCOBRA

well i would for for the 20 size plane engines then instead of the car ones. The .15 and .21 car engines also requir the higher 20 to 25% nitro in them as well
Old 05-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Schu

I did find the plane version of these engines on the planethobby.com site and there is a .21 engine there for 80.00 but it is not the one w/ rear exhaust and tuned pipe ( it's 250.00 )and I don't think that includes the pipe. Unreal spec's on the second one but could'nt seem to find the spec's on the lower price one. I was hoping to get a first hand account from someone that's using one-- anyone out there w/ first hand experience ? Thanks
Old 05-21-2003, 12:28 PM
LOONY BOY

Schu
I know that here in oz people do run nova rossi rex engines in quater midget pylon but I don't know enough about it.
If you e-mail john hughan at ([email protected]) I'm sure he can help you out.
This is his site http://www.alphalink.com.au/~hughan/frames.html
scroll down untill you find Aussie quater midget class, there you will find a breif explanation on the engine
Old 05-21-2003, 09:23 PM
boater
My Feedback: (2)

Default Nova Rossi

I have bought one of the $80.00 Nova Rossi engines. It is timed for lower RPM and a muffler. That could be corrrected with some careful machining and knowledge of where to end up. I'm afraid if you want a high RPM motor for a speed plane out of the box, you're gonna have to pay more and go for the fireversion thats about $240.00 plus pipe and header.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:47 AM
Schu

Thanks for the answer Rudy - I guess you get what you pay for. Out of curiousity- what rpm's were you getting and what was the prop size? Dale
Old 05-22-2003, 03:35 AM
boater
My Feedback: (2)

Default Nova-rossi

Haven't run it, used for parts for one of my old nova-rossi motors, a side exhaust front intake. That one used to hold the NAMBA National 6 lap record for 21 Mono. The ports on the new engine are no where near the old one. But got to admit Nova-Rossi does some great machining and uses great metals in thier engines. I rate them at the top. No wonder the car guys pay big bucks for them, they are worrth it. Top of the heap in cars, they run great in boats, but need a little porting and head volume help. There are new marine engines coming out now that will beat Nova-Rossi's out of the box, but a modified N-R will run with most anything.