Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Phoenix f-20 tigershark

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Phoenix f-20 tigershark

Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 AM
JT Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix f-20 tigershark

I just received this ARF yesterday - looks pretty good for the price. I will replace most of the hardware as usual with this type, seal all the surface gaps, etc. A couple of questions though for those of you who have assembled them. 1. The 'blue' engine mount doesn't appear very substantial (quite narrow beams) and would need to be shaved for a SJ .50. Are people changing mounts or adjusting the one that came with it? 2. The vertical fin is epoxied on the top of the fuse but only about 1/3 of it's length is supported by the turtledeck slot. The rear 2/3 portion appears to be just 'butt' glued to the top. Do you think this is sufficient or are you using triangular fillets to add more support? Suggestions are welcome............Hammer
Old 08-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix f-20 tigershark

1) I used the blue mount for my Webra Speed 50 GT and it has not been a problem.

2) I assembled the empannage exactly as advised in the construction manual. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13054.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1014923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84560.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1014924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25363.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1014925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12110.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1014926  
Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM
YUKONFLYR

I used a Rossi 53 which has a bigger crankcase than the Jett. I just kept grinding carefully and after I cut away the excess that is in front of the engine lugs. I then drilled holes to mount the engine and threaded them with a 6/32 tap. I did not use any nyloc back up nuts since the cowling had to go on first. I have had no issues with the 6/32 capscrews and I could not make them strip with a standard hex screwdriver. They are still tight.

I drilled three holes in the bottom of the vertical tail, two near the rear and one in the middle. Drilled the coorisponding holes in the plane and then used bamboo cut to about 3/4" and then epoxied the tail on. I thought the tail may be sufficent, however with my heavy Rossi on the nose, a little tail reinforcement helps for peace of mind and a little counterweight without adding lead

Check out the other thread on the Phoenix Tigershark. The book control throws are way off. I had a H@)) of a time keeping the plane from piling in with the stock control throws. Also you need dual rates.......I tried without and it almost cost me a plane

Richard
Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 PM
JT Hammer

Thx. I'll go ahead and use the 'blue' mount with the SJ .50. I have to order another engine, as I sold mine earlier this season in another model ready to fly. Kinda wish I hadn't because I had that engine working super well! Does anyone know if the SJ .50 needs a spacer between the engine and the muffler for it to fit under the tigershark fuse? By the way I have read the longer thread on the f-20 - very informative!...........JT
Old 08-20-2008, 03:25 AM
YUKONFLYR

SJ 50 would fit no problem with no spacer. The nose is very small and the bottom of the cowling has to be cut to make room for the exhaust outlet on the cylinder.
The stock spinner backplate with my ARF is bent and makes lining up the cowling difficult. Maybe consider a different spinner as well.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 AM
JT Hammer

Right! I was planing on ordering a 2.25 spinner when I order the SJ .50. You guys might be interested to know that a clear canopy is available for this bird. I don't care much for silver painted one. It's listed under replacement parts at Towers. Apparently the silver one is just held on with tape, so it should be easy to remove, then do a bit of cockpit detail and fit the clear one on. I ordered the replacement canopy through my LHS.....JT
Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Hammer:

When you order that sports Jett engine, be sure you speck the LX model. Its good for a lot more rpms and, IMHO, is still very user friendly. ENJOY
Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
JT Hammer

Hi there Rmenke - still terrorizing the spectators I hope? I'm not aiming to break any speed records with this one. With all those wheels hanging down and a big wing it's not going to be very quick anyway. I believe it will be able to do a few pretty manuevers and it is real easy on the eyes. I plane to finish this bird up nicely and just use it as an everyday sport plane - reason for using the plain 'ol sj .50 (boo hoo). By the way have you seen anyone fly a G.P.'s Sportster .40 ARF with a Jett LX (.60)? I had one with a good .46 in it, and it was a ball? Anyone - How aerobatic is the Phoenix f-20 from your perspective?..............Hammer
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: J.T. Hammer

Anyone - How aerobatic is the Phoenix f-20 from your perspective?..............Hammer
Fully aerobatic it seems to me.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/8FW5ZDB82315XVR5
Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I've seen a club buddy put a Magnum 52xls with stock muffler but internal baffle removed in the F20. VERY respectable speed buzzing the runway. My guess in the 115mph range. Nice power for under 100 bucks to go with inexpensive plane.