Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Quick Cheap Speed Build

Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 PM
YogoBlue
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Quick Cheap Speed Build

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Not new to rc but I want somethin that just flat out cooks. No record speeds, cheap, easy arf style.. Recommendations I dont feel like building a patriot.
Maybe something done around a 55AX? I dont know I usually fly large scale stuff so all is game I guess.

Combos? Ideas, Hypothetical Bench Racing? Name Your Game!

Thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Quick Cheap Speed Build

ORIGINAL: YogoBlue

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Not new to rc but I want somethin that just flat out cooks. No record speeds, cheap, easy arf style.. Recommendations I dont feel like building a patriot.
Maybe something done around a 55AX? I dont know I usually fly large scale stuff so all is game I guess.

Combos? Ideas, Hypothetical Bench Racing? Name Your Game!

Thanks
The standard non-propjet recommendation is a Quickie 500 ARF such as the Viper or Predator, strengthened/toughened as recommended here and on the quickie forum. To that fit the hottest .40-.46 size engine you choose to.. examples are TT .46 Pro with aftermarket muffer at the moderate cost end (goes pretty quick from what people have said here), or any "small block" (.40-.46 case size) engine you want that runs to your satisfaction - should be good for anything from 120 mph up. Or go fancy and fit a Jett .50 with racing muffler, or find a West .50v1/pipe combo from a broken Magnum, or whatever. Figger on 150 or a bit more.

Dunno if anyone has fitted a 55AX to such an aircraft but I am of the impression it is not a high rpm engine and might need a good prop load to do anything useful speedwise, ie. 9-8, 9-9..? Guys..?

You looking for a "prop jet" or just something quick and easy that does the trick? The one thing I'll suggest is to remember that just because something looks like a jet, does not mean it is fast. Look at the frontal area, wing thickness, etc.

The Matney Zoomer is an example of a model with similar speed potential and a bit more styling than a Quickie.

MJD
Old 08-12-2008, 09:01 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what he said
Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ditto!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would recommend a delta like what Mike Conner kitted or a Diamond Dust. Building one of these isn't much more work than putting together an ARF that has substandard covering, weak firewall, weak gear blocks, wrong incidence angles, etc.
The reward of building a little delta will be a cheap model that really cooks, [even with a .55AX?].
Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 AM
YogoBlue
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Makes sense thanks. A guy at our field runs a super sportster with a 46ax I belive.. my god that thing is fast for a sportster. That motor can crank for an OS kind of cheapie.
Is there a place I can find plans for the diamond dust as it seems they only have the park version?

A friend of mine is building up the phantom and strapping on our ole standby smallies evo 46 with 2 blade props they sure scream but blow bearings often.

THanks again, and if anyone else has input please let me know.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
russm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think patz got around 125 mph w/ the viper-55ax setup. it is on another thread somewhere.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: YogoBlue

Is there a place I can find plans for the diamond dust as it seems they only have the park version?
If you want a plans built delta, hit Mike Connor up for a set of plans to his delta:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6034143/tm.htm

Mark
Old 08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mmattlockx:

Great advice as to the the cost effective airframe. If you want to scoot, gotta have reasonable power and rpm ability up front. A OS, other than the Ducted Fan units are just not designed for the rpms needed. Yess, a Jett 60LX would be ideal, but your talking big bucks, worth every penny. Alternative is a Webera 55speed, 10 X 10 apc prop after carefull breakin. The thing is not far behind a Jett 60 in performance. Must also buy a Jett or Nelson pipe. A K & B screamer 48 is a ok cost effective engine, but way behind the Webra, way above OS. A good delta design will scoot and slow down when needed. Usually are a pain in the tail unless you install retracts. The Viper type is a better overall user friendly bird, but space for fuel is a problem. I usually scratch build a fuse using the same basic moments, just a 1" or so in the front and rear added along with width for fuel and reasonable install room, and cowell in the engine area. . My jett 60LX powered home brew will run with the best of the local Q-500s with 12oz of fuel, landing gear user friendly and land like a hot sport airframe. If we had a decent grass field, the Jett would probably be in a Delta, a Mike Conners delta design for overall user friendly. My "Speed Racer" delta with OS 46 is fun, but yawn, go sleep performance with fixed landing gear. There is just no substitute for a good engine, a gotta have if you want to be impressed. ENJOY
Old 08-14-2008, 03:22 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Alternative is a Webera 55speed, 10 X 10 apc prop after carefull breakin.
If one was to go the Webra 55 route, I think you may want to buy an APC 9X10 too. That should turn 16,000+RPM with 10% and a Jett tuned mufffler.
A OS 55AX will turn a 10X10 around 14,000 (air and ground rpm) with a tuned muffler/pipe but that prop/engine combo should only be used on a quick airframe or it will lug down in the air.
A Jett 90 LX will turn a 10X10 at 16,000.

A K&B 48 or a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro with a Jett tuned muffler and APC 9x7 or 9X8 will be cheapest and reasonably quick power I can think of.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

or a rossi 53 with a jett muffler pretty good value and good reliablilty