Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Cosmic Wind - Graupner

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Cosmic Wind - Graupner

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:35 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosmic Wind - Graupner

Well I went to the shop for a prop and bought a plane instead. It's the graupner "cosmic wind". It is suppose to be an electric but I will be powering it with a glow engine. Here's the problem - What size? The directions are ALL in german and the figures all metric!

Well through my fantastic math schooling, I think the figures are about - Wingspan = 42.25" with a wing area of about 284.25".
It also ain't to long. I thought when I looked at it, that it had around 500sq" but when I measured it, it came up short.

So do you think it could handle a .46 or so. The whole wing is sheeted and it will not be doing pylons so it should hold up I think.

I would like it to hold it's own, against all the little toni, miget mustangs, etc,. running around.

Oh yeah by the way the kit is awsome.
Dave
Old 02-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Cosmic Wind - Graupner

Maybe something around a .32 would be better ?

Dave.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:38 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

Maybe something around a .32 would be better ?

Dave.
I was thinking the same thing. I had a three OS .32 FSRs (back in the day). They were great motors. Probably the best OSs I've ever had and I had a bunch of them. I don't know anything about their current .32s but this size motor should do fine on that plane.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:23 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First engine I thought of was maybe the new Norvel .40, 2nd was the O.S. .32SX...The .32 is a strong running engine that likes to rev.

A .46 would be awfully heavy for that size airplane IMO...
Old 02-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That small of a plane would probably move out pretty good with an
old OS .25 FSR.....NIB, of course....

I love the FSR's myself....especially the .60 ringed versions. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Dave.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:53 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably could be considered about the same size as the old .15 size pylon racers? What were they called, Quarter Midgets? I had a Stafford kit of a Midget Mustang in the early 70's that was about that size IIRC.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:23 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,

I've looked at that plane a few times at Hobby Warehouse, just wasn't sure what I'd do with it. Looked great, was wondering when someone would buy it. I was personally thinking about a Nelson q40 motor, but I'm not quite right. The O.S. .32 SX would be perfect in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:52 AM
John A

My old club had a guy with one of these

http://www.shop.graupner.de/webapp/c...r=1081&lang=en

This is the only one I know of that Graupner did. It's just over 400 sq inches with a 47 inch WS and a length of 38". Is this it? That's an electric Formula one model with an all up weight of over 5 pounds. IF, and that's IF you strengthen the firewall, a .40 SHOULD work. I will probably be flamed for it, but I'd hang a trusty old Fox 40 BB in it It actually weighs less than the Norvel 40 by almost an ounce, and has a nice bark to the exhaust. The Fox is also cheaper, but are more hit and miss on how they run out of the box. Mine is perfect across the board, but some of them you have to adjust the taper on the needle to keep it from loading up in the midrange. That's just my thought.

A 32 would be sweet, too. Remember that Electrics typically have their main weight (the Battery) further back and you need to keep it light up front or you'll be adding a lot of lead. I wouldn't be too concerned, as this is a 1997 design (no lipo) so that AUW is shown with a 12 to 16 cell 1900 ah NiCd pack
http://www.delago.de/ariane/images/n97grp1.jpg

Note that it is long discontinued, so spares for that plastic body won't be available.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:59 PM
MOJO65-9or10

You guys all rock. Dave I love that plane, the workmanship is great. The sheeted wing looks so good I should just hang it, unfinished, in my room.

It is the plane in the picture attached above. I measured the wing at 384 square inches, which includes the area of the ailerons.

I figure that it should have between 27-30oz's of wing loading with a 14oz engine. "I think"

Dave
Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Dave, did you ever get the Graupner Comic Wind off the ground? My local hobby shop has one, I'm thinking about snagging it.