Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)
View Poll Results: A poll
OS 46AX
4.35%
OS 55AX
32.61%
OS 75AX
41.30%
SAITO 82
21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Best Engine for GP Revolver?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:52 AM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best Engine for GP Revolver?

I currently have a 46AX and heard that the 55AX is recommended, so can I get away with the 46AX or does the 55 make that much of a difference. Specs show the 46 at 1.65ps and 55 at 1.75ps.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:01 AM
YUKONFLYR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Best Engine for GP Revolver?

The problem with small motors is that if you do not have enough power you have to change it out with a larger or more powerfull engine.

If you start with a really large or powerfull engine......you only have to throttle back

Then if you are bored you can always increase power again[8D]

If you go with the OS at least put a Jett Stream muffler on it
Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

beachbrada:

Was going to vote on your engine choises, but all are not suited to go quickly. The Jett 60LX would be my engine of choice, well worth the price tag in rpms and quality. But, if you need something in the lower range that is almost, and I mean almost as good, find a Webra 55 Speed, follow recommended breakin closely or you will loose the power available, add Jett or Nelson muffler, 10 X 10 apc prop. Caution, you may pull the wilngs off the thing, but not many if any will be able to run with you except the Q-500's. ENJOY
Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Revolver with the O.S. 75AX running a APC 13 X 9 prop. I used the MAC's "sausage" pipe with a 1/2" extension to get the pipe out of the cowl. This thing is a SCREAMER! I had to tame the controls way down with extreme low rates. It gets all kinds of comments. On a windy day it will slow down and fly backwards. But the downwind passes are like lightening.
Never touch the prop. Just snap your fingers on the spinner and it fires the first time - every time.
One of my favorite plane/engine combinations.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 75 AX, there is no substitute for two stroke cubes.

I had two Saito 82 Golden Knights and happily sold them both at a swap meet. Sucked down gobs of fuel with little to show for it, about equal to a good 50 size two stroke in terms of power.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 AM
russm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

had the 74ax setup. good for around 115mph w/ a 11x8 apc prop. sleek, slipery airframe. saw one fly w/ a 46ax. boring
Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

The 75 AX, there is no substitute for two stroke cubes.

I had two Saito 82 Golden Knights and happily sold them both at a swap meet. Sucked down gobs of fuel with little to show for it, about equal to a good 50 size two stroke in terms of power.
If 4 strokes aren't all that powerful do you know why so many people prfer them? Is it because of the way they sound?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If saying an 82 is = to a 50 two stroke then thats good for the four strokes it used to be that you had to double the cubic inches to have the same power ie: a 1.20 four stroke would be = to a .60 two stroke.

the 4's are more effiecient when it comes to props because of the lower speeds and larger dia.'s 4's sound quiter but are generaly louder on the meter, which means the 4's are easier on the ear's.

If and when i get one of these I will put the saito 125 in it and swing a 15x8.

Ido port work on mine 4's. my saito 65 turns an 13x8 apc at 9,400-9,500 about the same as OS 91 f's

the 4's are close if not easier on gas for the same given power. the two strokes lose some fuel out the exhaust.

A OS 70 should put you at around 90 on this plane and sip fuel.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There were four choices of engines given and I was trying to steer beachbrada away from the mistake I made on the Saito 82s.
And yes beachbrada, some folks like the sound. Some warbird racers use 4 strokes because the rules give a displacement handicap to the 4 strokes which was quite fair....until the advancement of the YS supercharged engines and now that's about all you’ll find in gold class.

airraptor:
"If saying an 82 is = to a 50 two stroke then that’s good for the four strokes it used to be that you had to double the cubic inches to have the same power ie: a 1.20 four stroke would be = to a .60 two stroke."

FF;
(The 82 is stronger than most engines in its class, but I believe it was at the expense of fuel economy and loss of smooth low idle, an aggressive cam? For the amount of fuel it used I could have ran two 55AXs. If you have the 82 in a clean plane and it propped for speed expect two things, #1 When you let go of the plane it will roll, so be ready to take off, kill it or chase it down. #2 Unless you have a 600' runway, dead stick landings will be the norm.
From what I’ve seen, the other size Saitos seem to run sweeter.)

“the 4's are more efficient when it comes to props because of the lower speeds and larger dia.'s 4's sound quieter but are generally louder on the meter, which means the 4's are easier on the ear's.”
FF;
(Fast or quieter, hummm, let me think? I’d go electric)

“If and when I get one of these I will put the saito 125 in it and swing a 15x8.”
FF;
(Like hot landings, nose over’s and tall landing gear?)

“Ido port work on mine 4's. my saito 65 turns an 13x8 apc at 9,400-9,500 about the same as OS 91 f's “
FF;
(Is the 91 sick or is that the way it is? = 1.23HP)

“the 4's are close if not easier on gas for the same given power. the two strokes lose some fuel out the exhaust.”
FF;
(Yes good 4strokes do have better fuel economy for the same power output, but what about physical size and power to weight?)

“A OS 70 should put you at around 90 on this plane and sip fuel.”

FF;
(With an OS FS 70 and an APC 11X10 or 12X7(unloaded 13K..close enough) the numbers work. Is 90 fast?)

It looks like we will only agree on disagreeing. Oh well different strokes for different folks,….sorry about the pun.[&:]
Old 08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
russm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

for those of you who have not had one of these planes, the landing gear is very weak. a oversized engine on the front compounds the problem. the firewall area will hane to be heavely reinforced. the fuse is also very weak where the landing gear connects. has to be reinforced from the inside. this plane is not made well enough to support a big engine.the jett 60lx would really be the best choice, but you would need a in cowl muffler.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No way can you beat an engine thats doing 20,000+ rpm

It has a sound all its own ,

Can't beat a JETT for cost and performance.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:21 PM
brewski

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Webra 55 is in mine. Sweet! Very Sweet!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:08 PM
figger007
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

does anyone know where i can fin the thread about the revolver that did 170mph i cant find any where?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 PM
stryker11
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Revolver with a magnum 52 on it, This thing is a rocket, I clocked it at 121 mph with a 11x7 prop before the motor was broken in. If your flying from a grass field you cannot taxie. Someone really goofed when they made the landing for this plane...I had to take a landing gear from an old plane i had, and it works pretty good, The gear that comes with the revolver is for looks only. and I have seen the Reactor from GP, it has the same problem. and they are both way over priced...oh! one other thing, I fly off a short grass field,The Revolver tip stalls really bad, this is the hardest plane to land i have ever had. I've been doing this about 30 years. Having said that, if you want speed and good looking plane this is it...
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 PM
figger007
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have a long paved runway so that shouldnt be a problem. I have one plane that goes 140 and one that does 154 and was thinking about buying this to try and reach 170+ with electric. I think i could do it with the right combination like a 7x10 or 8x10 turning about 25,000 rpm. I was also looking at one of those FB5 planes but there are so $$$$ and not much room for batteries. I think you could reach a higher speed with electric because the gas or glow motors just can come close in rpms which is what you need for top speed.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:26 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any of you running the Revolver with a tuned pipe or a tuned muffler? Was wondering how its fitted into the cowl ... Thanks!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:16 PM
russm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

check out the revolver thread on rtf-arf. the last couple of pages has a nice setup useing a jett90lx w/ a tuned muffler.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 PM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

russm - TQ!