Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

patriot with 91 Super tiger

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

patriot with 91 Super tiger

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Mattyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default patriot with 91 Super tiger

hi

Getting myuself a patriot to use as a practice jet before taking on my D/f. was wondering if a super tiger 91 which weighs and has same dimensions as a 60 size would be any good. only other engine i have is a gms 47 .

or do i need to buy a new engine?

Mattyb
Old 05-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sure, it will do the job, but it won't be a screamer... put a 10x10 on it...

If you want to use that Patriot to get used to high speed planes however, you have to look at other engines...

What D/F are you looking at?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Mattyb

Already have a D/f spectre, bought it last weekend. had the cash and the oppurtunity so graabbed it.

cant seem to attach the pics, says to big.

Looks like i will have to find someone who sells Jett engines
Old 05-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super Tigre

You want to go fast, really fast? You need power, and I mean bucket loads of power!

A Jett 50 is fine for a 2lb 14oz Diamond Dust like mine but for anything heavier you better rustle up some ponies.

After strapping a Jett 60L on my Whiplash I'm spoiled, I'm putting a Jett 90L on my Patriot.

I don't know what the ST will do but if you've got it laying around I say strap it on and go for it!
Old 05-22-2003, 05:09 AM
Mac-The-Knife

Default Super Tigre 90

Hi,I have used the Super Tigre 90 on some planes and it is a good and tough engine.If you would put A larger carb on it or you can still you the same carb ,just smaller throat on the STcarb,run A good pipe and A high piched prop you could realy get A patriot to move.I would use it.Try the APC-10/10 ,or the patern APC 11/10,11/11 or the 12/10,12/11,12/12 props.,Mac
Old 05-25-2003, 12:40 AM
eugene

Default Patriot power

Mattyb, The Patriot should build out to5.5# .. those huge engines are unnecesary for good performance..I have built five Patriots over the years, and the best performance was with a Webra Speed 50,, and a 9-9 APC prop... weighs about 12 oz. w/o muffler...stock muffler is OK, but a pipe is better...With fixed gear, this will give you 125-130 mph, plus great handling ., without adding more weight in the tail to balance...good plane to practice Hi-Po fllying...
Old 05-25-2003, 01:04 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 90 Powered Patriot

Eugene,

I respect your experience having built five Patriots but you must realize that guys like me are nuts, not to mention the rest of the people on this forum. 125? We want to go faster than that, especially if we are practicing for jets. That's the whole reason I got involved with the Diamond Dust in the first place.

I've thought about that 50 vs 90 stuff. I agree that a Jett 50 or 60L would probably be the most use friendly but once you get used to 150+ anything less is pretty slow. There are Patriot flyers and then there are "extreme speed" Patriot flyers!

To go really fast with a Patriot you need power, bucket loads of power. A 50 won't get you anywhere near jet speed.

As a model jet enthusiast I think the higher wing loading and speed of a 90 powered Patriot will make it an excellent training tool for keeping up jet flying skills.

Matty,

I would say if you can handle a 91 powered Patriot a DF will probably be boring and a jet positively a piece of cake.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:23 AM
Mattyb

actuallyh guys,

thanks for the info but i couldnt find anyone who sold an artf patriot. So i have ordered a magnum combo with motor and pipe.
Thanks for the info though guys.

Mattyb
Old 05-25-2003, 03:31 AM
Rudeboy

Don't forget to order some spare props... when the engine is new it sometimes stops at TDC...=> prop is gone on landing...

Landing with the engine still running...same thing, very bad on props...
Old 05-25-2003, 04:35 AM
plumberdeluxe
My Feedback: (209)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a patriot with a rear ex. 61 and a hatori pipe. I run 11/9 or 10. I would guess around 140? It came in at 5.75 pds. No extra weight, just some forthought. Good luck on your project. No matter what you run, the plane is rock solid stable at all speeds. You should like it. The 90 sounds heavy. I would try to turn the prop faster without the extra weight. I like a strong webra or os, and a good lightweight pipe. The jett should turn that thing into a real pants-poo--r. Hope this helps..............................Dave
Old 05-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Mattyb

i know i should do a search but am at work and dont have a great deal of time.
What prop do you suggest for the weston eurotech 50v1?
Old 05-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Rudeboy

I have had the best results so far with an APC 8x8...

I tried an 8x10 today, but the engine doesn't cut it... only out of a dive... Speed is much better with the 8x8. This engine needs (loves) to rev.

I haven't cut the header much yet (only 1/4"), but I now get the impression the engine gets better every time I run it. It only has about 25 flights on it so far. It screams now, but I think it will do even better when it is properly run in.
Don't baby this engine however... it runs great right out of the box.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Mattyb

what do you mean by cut the header?

cant wait to get it. Still a 3 week wait for it to come over from the UK
Old 05-25-2003, 11:45 PM
Rudeboy

There is a bended piece of alu pipe with a flange that bolts to the engine. This thing is called an exhaust header... the tuned pipe is connected to this thing by means of a piece of silicone tubing.

You can change the tuning length of the exhaust system to a higher rpm band by cutting a piece off the header or the pipe.

The engine-pipe combe that comes with the Magnum is already tuned pretty well (that was the whole idea of the thing... no fiddling with the tuned pipe...), but there are people on this forum who seem to think there is more to be had from this engine.
So when this thing is properly run in, I'll start taching it, and tuning the header length for max rpm... rpm=SPEED... hehe

By the way... the tuned pipe is held on by some wire straps. Now I used a pair of tweezers to tighten them straps, but the pipe still came loose the first time I ran the engine. So I retightened them right after they came loose, when the whole thing was still very hot, and it hasn't moved a bit since... I guess them things just stretch a little when they get hot, and when you retighten them when they are hot, you take out all the stretch. (they streched almost 10mm actually)
In the manual is stated you should use epoxy to hold the pipe connected to the header... I don't like that... how can I fiddle with the damn thing when it is glued stuck?
Old 05-25-2003, 11:51 PM
Mattyb

ok i see now.
this is my first plane with a tuned pipe.

I HATE WAITING!!

Thanks for your help.

Please keep me posted, will be interested to see how many rpms you gain once engine is finally run in.