Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Airframe for Jett 60LX

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Airframe for Jett 60LX

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 PM
liquid_TR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airframe for Jett 60LX

Hi all,

I need some fresh ideas about putting my Jett 60LX in a new airframe.

As you can guess Im after pure speed..

heres the challenge: Im afraid the brands that are available to me are cermark, Nitro planes, hangar 9, world models, seagull, kyosho and phoenix models.

I recently lost my beloved phoenix F20 with an 55AX + UT muffler on it, tho I dont think it could handle the power of the 60LX if I bought a new one.

All suggestions are welcome!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Airframe for Jett 60LX

That engine would sit nicely in a World Models 40 size Dago Red
Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thought, Many here have 61fx's in that 40 size Dago. Put an 11/7 apc and get out of the way
Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

You already have an airframe for it. Put it on your Delta for a real rush. It has been done before and it will be fast.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:10 AM
liquid_TR

Mike, Im still waiting to maiden it with the TT46 Pro Ive made a skid landing gear for it, but still Im gona land on asphalt - Once I get used to it, I will probably upgrade it to 60LX power
Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

CH:

Still drinking that bathtub booze I see. Just can't picture any OS engine except the DF design giving much speed on any prop. Doubt that a 61 fx can reach 14,000 as long as it has any size prop on it. Yes a OS 90 VRDF would be interesting, otherwise the fx is a big yawn. Regardless, ENJOY
Old 09-19-2008, 05:20 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the OS engines can be retuned to turn very good numbers. The thing with OS is they are building engine for the health of our hobby. They set the engines up for low rpm high torque. this lets you turn larger props at a lower rpm. this with the stock "baffled" muffler keeps the noise at low levels which alot of clubs require. I have a guy in my club that retimes the OS engine's and with the Jett muffler turn very respectable numbers som are with in 500 rpm of the jett engines. for an example the new OS .35AX turns an 8x7 apc at 20,200 with the gold muffler. my jett 35 LX only turns that prop around 21,000.
the OS 55 turns an 11x7 with red muffler at 14,000
Old 09-19-2008, 06:48 PM
liquid_TR

and also stock 55AX does 12800 on 10x9 APC and 14600 with UT muffler..

lets not talk about other engines tho.. I like all kinds of engines, piston or not.. dont worry about it
Old 09-19-2008, 06:52 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: airraptor

the OS engines can be retuned to turn very good numbers. The thing with OS is they are building engine for the health of our hobby. They set the engines up for low rpm high torque. this lets you turn larger props at a lower rpm. this with the stock "baffled" muffler keeps the noise at low levels which alot of clubs require. I have a guy in my club that retimes the OS engine's and with the Jett muffler turn very respectable numbers som are with in 500 rpm of the jett engines. for an example the new OS .35AX turns an 8x7 apc at 20,200 with the gold muffler. my jett 35 LX only turns that prop around 21,000.
I am not surprised they can be retimed/fiddled for lots of power - you are taking an engine with design parameters aimed at one type of performance and turning it into something else, and that takes skill and labor that only a few people have. Otherwise, you have to pay Jett or another company or an engine-head to build that engine for you. I imagine there are more brands than OS that could be similarly hopped up by someone skilled, as long as the engine was sound mechanically and had the right basic bits.

How much work does he put into these engines? I imagine some port mods, what else? Just curious.

MJD
Old 09-19-2008, 07:04 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

I am stuffing my 60 LX into the GP Viper
Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
liquid_TR

Well if had access to GP, i would want to try the "V" Viper too.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 AM
C_Roundy

ORIGINAL: MJD

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I am not surprised they can be retimed/fiddled for lots of power - you are taking an engine with design parameters aimed at one type of performance and turning it into something else, and that takes skill and labor that only a few people have. Otherwise, you have to pay Jett or another company or an engine-head to build that engine for you. I imagine there are more brands than OS that could be similarly hopped up by someone skilled, as long as the engine was sound mechanically and had the right basic bits.

How much work does he put into these engines? I imagine some port mods, what else? Just curious.

MJD
MJD, the fellow that airraptor is talking about is fascinating.
I was introduced to him a few years ago, through a life long friend of mine that I helped recently to start on the fast track towards building, tuning, and flying techniques to dwell in a speed range that few ever reach. At first I found this engine guy's analysis and conclusions about 2-stroke breathing principles employed (IN ENGINES THAT HE DID NOT DESIGN) a bit arrogant -and- ignorant, so of course we butted heads. But I realized from the start that he really did understand alot of things about engine breathing that most guys who think they do; ahhhh...... really dont.
Soo..., I withheld judgment regarding his judgmental opinions as I percieved them to start with, buried the hatchet, stayed fiendly with him, and proceeded to just let him see some of what I accomplish across time with my engines and airplanes, so that maybe we could find some common ground and learn from each other. Sure enough, the wisdom in my old age to decide to play it that way paid off HUGELY.
In the years since, when he comes in to our shop to buy engines to play with, averaging twice a month, and more often than not, more than one engine; I am privileged to talk with this man about the subtle balance that our 3rd stage, highest output engines have.
Whether they started life as Jett Engineering or Nelson thoroughbreds or cheap Chinese sport horses, or Japanese proud brand (O.S.), or anything ever produced in the European Union, they all have one thing in common, they need to breathe. So to answer your specific question about how hard it really is to learn to re-time an engine of one brand compared to another; I would put it to you like this>
Any 2-stroke can be modified for any timing, the trick is knowing what you are achieving.
I have learned that when you are talking with someone who actually has the cahoney's to ruin, break, destroy, LOTS of engines across decades for the purpose of learning those engines; Listen to that person. C.R
Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Jett engine are make very good power most are better than the retimed cheaper engines but they dont last anywhere near the Jett engines do. The jetts will last many seasons i would guess maybe three to four times regular engines. My next Jett will be a 120 if I can get one.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: C_Roundy
MJD, the fellow that airraptor is talking about is fascinating. ....
I have learned that when you are talking with someone who actually has the cahoney's to ruin, break, destroy, LOTS of engines across decades for the purpose of learning those engines; Listen to that person. C.R
Yeah, if he's spent that much effort learning what makes them tick, then he is a good person to listen too, agreed! And he serves as an excellent example for people that think you can fart around for 20 minutes with a Dremel tool and turn your .46FX into a fire breathing monster. Well, that is, if they listen to anybody's advice..

Thanks C_R

MJD
Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody care to volunteer his contact info? I have a few simple questions to ask but really don't want to open the floor here in RCU, the answers are all the same. PM me
Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

DAIMOUND DUST

LIGHT + LOW DRAG = SPEED

JETT .60LX FIRE