Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sundowner Formula 1... and Evo 40GX?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Mav-Ric
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sundowner Formula 1... and Evo 40GX?

Ok so here is the deal. I have been dying to get my Sundowner Formula 1 in the air already. Financially, I am now able to complete it and just require the electrical components (servos, batteries, etc). I have been doing some research to see what type of engines people have been putting in this plane. The geneal population (who has chosen to go gas, anyway) has been placing either a Evo 26cc or 35cc on it. I have learned that indeed, the 35cc will make it go faster; however, there are a few drawbacks such as the fit (which can be done, however very snug), and landings tend to be hot. I have not read much more.

Just to give you an idea of the type of pilot I am, I typically enjoy to fly by the seat of my pants. I truly am not happy unless I'm flying Mach 3 with my hair on fire - inverted, and just inches off the deck. I tend to push the envelope and when I fly, no one really knows what awesomeness is about to occur next - I like keeping people on their toes. I'm usually the only one flying when winds are blowing hard in every direction possible. Crosswind landings give me a sense of euphoria. I don't know much about building and tech stuff. I have a very much experienced builder friend who helps me build my planes. He'd rather build, I'd rather fly. It actually makes things quite simple when it comes to my planes.

That being said, I went ahead and picked me up an Evolution 40GX. Again, I am not extremely versed in the tech department. However, after reading the specifications on the 35cc and the 40cc, I discovered that they are not very different in demensions, but quite different in their output. One thing that actually stood out was that the 40cc engine is actually 1.6 oz lighter than the 35cc. Otherwise the 40cc is just slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY bigger than the 35cc.

Has anyone tried this set-up? What are your experiences? Even if you have not tried this set up, after reading the Specs on both engines, is there any reason not to try it? Any information/opinions will help!

Listed below are the specifications on Evolution Engines 35GT2 and 40GX (retrieved from Evolition's website).

35GT2
Type:2-stroke Gasoline
Displacement:2.15 cu in (34.60 cc)
Bore:1.39 in (35.50 mm)
Stroke:1.38 in (35.20 mm)
Cylinders:Single
Engine (Only) Weight:1493 g (52.8 oz)
Crankshaft Threads:M 10x1mm
Benchmark Prop:19x8 @ 8,200
Prop Range:18x8 - 21x10
RPM Range:1,400 - 9,000
Fuel:Gas/Oil mix 40:1
Mounting Dimensions:182 x 84 x 118 mm
HP:4.1 PS @ 8,500 rpm
Cylinder Type:Ring
Carb Type:Walbro 2-Needle WT561
Crank Type:Ball Bearing

40GX
Type:2-stroke gasoline engine
Displacement:2.4 cu in (40cc)
Bore:38.0mm (1.5 in)
Stroke:35.0mm (1.38 in)
Cylinders:Single
Engine (Only) Weight:1451 g (51.2 oz)
Crankshaft Threads:M10 x 1mm
Prop Range:20 x 8 to 22 x 10
RPM Range:1,500 to 9,500
Fuel:Gasoline w/oil mix 40:1
Mounting Dimensions:182 x 84 x 118mm
Cylinder Type:Ring
Carb Type:Walbro 2-needle
Crank Type:Ball bearing
Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sundowner Formula 1... and Evo 40GX?

Mav-Ric:

Admire your direction, but am afraid that Sundowner is designed for sport flying and not speed, same as Little Toni, Shoering, Alley Cat. Wanna really scoot, around 200. Get a foumula 40 and install Q-500 Jett or Nelson. The Jett 60 LX will also fit in the same space and give you throttle and HP. Enjoy
Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I may be wrong but the 40, I believe, is the replacement for the 35. Kinda like the YS110. A 110 in a 91 size frame. I dont see why it wouldnt work. If it were me, and Im fairly new to this hobby, I would get the 40.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:32 AM
nesikachad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Give her hell and I like your style.

PICS or DIE.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:26 AM
nesikachad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mav,

First off, I am a little guy when it comes to experience with RC so take what I say with a lime, some salt, and a good snort of cactus juice. Second, this is my favorite airplane thus far, so I’ll be long winded in this post.

I am on my third 80” SD, it’s been a steep learning curve. It’s turning into my personal “Eleanor/unicorn”; the one I just can’t seem to tame. These hogs are a bit CG sensitive and ignoring this will result in some pretty violent snaps when you get aggressive with the elevator at anything below full boogie. This is how my last one met its demise. I just recently discovered a very long winded thread about the plane and it talks about this issue in depth. I wish I’d of found it sooner, I’d still have one in the hangar. 3" seems to be the magic number for the Evo 35 which is what I have(had). I think the manual calls for a bit more than this. Also, the book says to balance the plane inverted. Several “old timers” felt this was backwards.
What my limited experience showed me:

The fuel tank seems huge for a gasser and with an AUW of around 13.5lbs I think you can trim some fat with a smaller cell. There are a couple things I did and a few more I plan on for the next one. It should greatly simplify the issue of fitting the cowl over the engine.

The Evo's shake like a paint mixer with Parkinson’s disease at idle. It's cool in my book, reminds of a NHRA Comp Eliminator car. (especially if you run them on 117octane VP racing gasoline like I do, aaah the smell of race gas. . .) The rear portion of the cowl that attaches to the fuse and molds around the lead edge of the wings began to come off of my plane on the maiden. I guess I didn’t prep the surface well enough for the epoxy. So I used some screws to reinforce the seam with some small button head, allen socket servo screws. It gave it a very "tough/hot rod" look when it was finished. A dab of CA on each hole was all it took to hold the buggers nice and tight. It generated numerous compliments.

On the cowl there are two balsa "cheek inserts". I say ditch them. It makes life so much easier for “opening the hood”. Scuff the inside of the cowl and lay up a piece of glass to reinforce it. Better yet, lay it up and have a portion stick out past so that it sucks up underneath the rear cowl. Maybe even build it up enough to run a row of screws there too. Do this and you'll have miles of room. Mount the ignition module in the fuse and it should help with the balance. I had to mount both receiver and ignition batteries in the rear compartment to get mine to behave and I later wished I’d of put the ignition behind the firewall.

Throttle linkage:

Have an old helicopter? I used two ball link joints from an Align Trexx 600 carcass and bent up a piece of rod with the servo mounted up in the cowl. It lay right across the top of the cylinder ribs with about .125" clearance and ran like a raped ape. Ditch the idle stop screw and you'll only have two small holes in your cowl for the mixture settings.

Some claim the engine gets too hot inside without serious swiss cheesing and baffles on the vents and head. I never had an issue with heat and my vents were untouched. I did add some aluminum mesh screen just because it looked cool. Some say to block off part of the intake side because the carb sits right there and it ends up getting a ram air effect. I think a velocity stack will solve the problem without butchering the look of the plane.

I did make the mistake of letting my vent line get too close to the exhaust. It melted and I fought some peculiar engine issues until I figured it out. My solution was to take a fuel dot and drill the center out of the plug and insert the vent line onto it. This way it was positively managed and couldn’t rattle or wander around the engine compartment. I’m sure there’s a cheaper/easier way but I liked the “purpose built and functional look” of it. The plane is already a pig so the tiny weight addition wasn’t a concern for me.
The landing gear axles are a weak link! They just flat out suck. I think H9 melted down some old coat hangers from a dry cleaner when they made these. I'd really encourage you to go with a carbon gear and titanium axles. You'll gain an extra inch or so of ground clearance which may be desirable since your using the bigger engine. Anything less than a picture perfect landing is going to spread parts faster than a pair of thighs on prom night. The wheel pants need to be opened up on the bottom. The factory tires will balloon and catch. A few guys nosed over due to this. On my next one I plan to actually fit bearings on my wheels because I’m so sick of tail draggers that wander all over the place due to poor fitting wheels and axles. This plane already requires a pretty long stretch of runway to settle down so another 100 feet is of little consequence to me where I fly.

Good luck buddy. This is by far my favorite airplane in my hangar. I have the little one now too sitting in a box waiting on a 91 OS. Can't wait to get home and get them put together for next summer.

Cheers

Old 09-21-2008, 10:36 AM
jaka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
If you like speed and excitement ...why not fly pylon racing?? The Sundowner model isn't made to fly that fast.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 PM
rpvpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did that same setup. The 40GX is a great replacement for the 35. It's the same motor only bored out a tad, and lighter by a smidge. It'll make your plane heavy in the nose, just like the 35 will but it's doable. Like other's have said, it still won't be a rocket but it'll be a nice grooving plane. Keep the speed up on landing and you'll be fine. Everything fit in the cowl except I made a hole for the idle adjust screw to just pop out a bit, that was my only clearance issue. Also, the recommended aileron throws are VERY consevative in my opinion. I ended up with their high rate setting as low rates, and all I could get for high rates and I never use my low setting.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 AM
nesikachad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Moki 210 from Chief aircraft or DIE.

I have one in my new on and WHOLLY @#^% does it punch nice holes in the sky. Sounds nasty too.

Good luck.

C
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 PM
ggroyal1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am almost finished with my Sundowner with the Evolution 26GX (slanted spark plug), matching tuned pipe and a Karl Mueller custom header. I wanted to try the 26 because of weight(33oz) and there are a few high performance upgrades that up the HP to 4.1 Some people say it handles a lot better with the 26. Will post results after flying.

George G. Royal
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30304.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1141631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39588.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1141632  
Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 PM
still4given

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm flying mine with a Super Tigre 2300 and though it isn't really fast, it flies very well.