Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

What is it ?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:36 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What is it ?

Well, I went to a swap meet and bought two used planes today. One plane I can’t identify because I was sure it was a Nitro Planes Bobcat, but it’s not the same as you can see. http://www.nitroplanes.com/usbojet5051n.html

It has the same dimensions as the Nitro planes version but there is no fiber glass and is very light.

The former owner said it was way over his head for him in regards to speed with a 50 two stroke…..those were the words that sold it. $75 and it’s cherry. The c/g is marked under the wing.

I have a 55AX that needs a home and my son splat my Outlaw so that frees up some servos, battery and receiver and I’ve got extension cable from my Sundowner 80” that I sold. It should be in the air tomorrow. I hope my son wont kill this one.

The bronze-red plane is a Top Flight Holy Smoke 40 that has tricycle landing gear and all servos installed, $25! It’s rated 25 to 60 size but 40 is recommended. Came with a perfect manual and blue prints.

Snagged a OS 91 FX new in box for $150 for my Enforcer delta pusher.

A new Macs muffled tuned pipe and C/L header $20 for the same engine but I’m not planning on putting it on the delta pusher, but would be perfect for inverted install on a warbird.
Finally found a Prather pitch gage $ 10

I feel like a hunter that bagged some kills and dragged them home, I just can’t identify the first critter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26511.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1041778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28718.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1041779  
Old 09-27-2008, 06:52 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What is it ?

ORIGINAL: freakingfast
The bronze-red plane is a Top Flight Holy Smoke 40 that has tricycle landing gear and all servos installed, $25! It’s rated 25 to 60 size but 40 is recommended. Came with a perfect manual and blue prints.

I feel like a hunter that bagged some kills and dragged them home, I just can’t identify the first critter.
I saw one of these fly at the 1993 AMA Homecoming at Muncie. The builder/owner wrote his name down as Ron "Delta King" London - he had installed a piped YS .60 and a single wheel retractable gear setup with wire tip skids. Man did this thing ever move out! The roll rate was pretty excessive too. He did a great job on the sticks, low blurry fast multiple rolls across the field and all that.

MJD
Old 09-28-2008, 03:45 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you see one of these things.......... run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looked good at first glance but the more you dig..........
I've found a lot of problems so far, for instance the wing tube is about .778" O.D. and that's fine but the wall thickness is only .008" thick!

This is NOT a Nitro Models Bobcat!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29520.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1042508  
Old 09-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

look on E-Barf in the arf section.... very similar to bobcat 50

chineeze clone of a chineeze copy
Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

chineeze clone of a chineeze copy
That's funny! What goes around.........

The last mod...I hope.
I cut a peice of 3/32" aircraft ply that fits closely inside the length of the wing tube. Then I cut two more ply strips two thirds the length and two strips of cabon fiber .007" thick a bit longer. I then CA'd the carbon on each side of the first part, centered in it's length and did the same with the two short ply strips. The assembly was finnsh sanded to slip into the tube then CA'd in place. The tube was slid into the fuse and centered and a dab of Shoe Goop was applied to keep the tube from turning. It added about same weight as a standard servo to the plane. I know that wount break but I have no clue how the wing was put together.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope! The former owner had torn out the nose gear bracket and did a p*** poor repair, couldn't tell by the outside, there he spent some time. If he had left it alone it would have been easier to fix so it’ll take somthing more than a feather touch landing. That's two bad repairs he didn't tell me about. He's a new club member, didn't he think I'd see him again?

The thing should have been in the air this morning. No deal on this plane LOL.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:08 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FF:

Club member found one of those bobcat type things at a flea market for $100. nib. Looked fine, flew like a dog twice then embraced mother earth when one of the booms fell off. Club guy is not the best builder or pilot around, just a note to be careful with the thing. .
Old 09-29-2008, 02:27 AM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thx rmenke for the heads up.

The way I figure the if it fails and it lawn darts, the engine is at the other end of impact and the only servo of value is a Hitec 5985 on the elevator.
Lets just call it a crumple zone.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Thx rmenke for the heads up.

The way I figure the if it fails and it lawn darts, the engine is at the other end of impact and the only servo of value is a Hitec 5985 on the elevator.
Lets just call it a crumple zone.

Wrap Rx in two layers of bubblewrap and call it dual airbags!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, it flew great! I got 6 flights on it and I stuffed it in the ground. Pilot error! The plane handled like it was on rails, fast roll rate, very hard pylon turns, back & front flips, tight inside & outside loops, knife edges, snaps, slow landings, fair top speed (stock engine & muffler 55AX APC 11X6) and the wickedest flat spins I'd ever seen, TOP GUN like.......and that’s what got me. The first spins I tried were up high and it popped right out when I let the sticks go. I did it again lower and shouted to a friend in the pits "Hey, check this out"
This time when I wanted it to stop, it took a while longer and the ground jumped up and got it. [:@]Oh well it's been a while and I guess I was over due. All the electrics and engine survived. The CG was the same as the Nitro Planes Bobcat but the nose must be in a in a down attitude and hold a bit of down elevator until it's up to take off speed or it will rotate too early and stall, the mains are further forward than the Nitro Plane's version. Not a bad plane, just needs going though before it should fly...what ever it was...