Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Couple TT pro46 questions on a q500

Old 09-27-2008, 04:51 PM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Couple TT pro46 questions on a q500

I'm building a Dominator 500 and I'm looking to use a thunder tiger pro 46 on it. First, using 15% fuel and a tower muffler, is a 9x6 APC prop gonna give me the most speed? I don't have the stock muffler so I was going to use the tower one. But, today at the hobby shop I saw they had in the clearance bin, a full Mac tuned pipe for the TT46. Is it worth the extra weight? Finally, the plans show a Sullivan 6 ounce tank mounted. I got the same tank and it's a very tight fit. I can make it fit but I'll have to stand it up on it's side. I was thinking of dropping to a 4 ounce tank, but didn't know if that would be enough capacity. I'd like to fly about 8 minute flights mostly 3/4 to full throttle. This is a sport plane so I'm not interested in going to a bladder type tank. Let me know what you think.

Mike
Old 09-27-2008, 08:04 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Couple TT pro46 questions on a q500

Forget the pipe unless you go wide open all the time.
9X8 would be a better prop choice. You will be happy with the Tower muffler over the long run. Be careful not to go much over 18K for long periods of time, the rear bearing is prone to letting go at the higher rpm. Otherwise you will love this motor.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Tower muffler will give you a little power boost over the stock muffler. I personally would not put a tuned pipe on a Q-500 but would go with a UT or Jett tuned muffler for best performance. I would also go up to a 9x7 prop and you might try a few of the pylon props. I made the sullivan 6 oz tank fit in my Dominator. It was snug but it did fit with a little foam around the tank. Usable fuel in a 6 oz tank will not give you 8 minutes at full throttle.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It will fly plenty quick with the TT46pro and the stock muffler.

Racing setup for 424 racing is the TT40pro, stock muffler, 9x6 stock APC, 15% fuel - generally 110-120 mph aircraft. For racing, a 4oz tank is pleanty.

The TT46Pro - use a 9x7 prop, or try the 8.75x7.5, 8.75x7.75W You probably want the 6oz tank for sport flying.

Skip the pipe. Tuned muffler if you are really after a bit of performance (as was noted).

Fuel tank - I was always fond of the Kraft/Hayse 6oz fuel tanks. They fit in most of the older Q-500 designs, and were pretty much a standard before most of us moved to the bubble tanks. If you have to go to 4oz for fit ...... its not that bad of a trade, just make sure its padded well.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:11 PM
BlackB12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll use the 6 ounce tank then. I see that once that tank is in, it's IN, unless I make a top hatch, but I've read that that's a bad idea as it sacrifices strength around the nose. The only way I'd be able to get the tank out would be to enlarge the opening in the first fuse former. I guess so long as the tank never leaks or full foams this isn't a concern. I bought a Great Planes engine mount originally for a Viper. It's the typical flat backplate mount. It should work fine on this q500. Might then run the fuel lines out the right side of the fuse.
Anything wrong with mounting the aileron servo "in" the wing rather than at an angle on two hardwood mounts? I've got the depth and it just seems so much easier to mount it this way to me rather than sink two hardwood beams into the wing.

Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 01:55 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have always set mine up to get the tank out through the former - cut it open so the tank fits through. And remember you also to squeeze some foam between the former and the tank.

Also..... two ways to get the tank out

1) tie a string around the front of the tank near the stopper - string that back under the tank into the fuselage

2) Cut a 1/2" - 3/4" dia hole in the center of the firewall. You can push the tank back through the hole if needed. An engine backplate mount (if used) will cover up the hole.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No problem cutting out foam for the servo, but I believe there is a carbon strip in there under the sheeting near the thick point of the wing, try to keep the servo as close to the aileron torque rods as feasable. You do not want to cut into the carbon strip.

Running the fuel lines is pretty common, if you mount the engine with the head at 9 oclock the fuel lines exit right behind the hear (a good place).

I use 1" filament tape on the tank and create a little pull handle by doubling a little extra tape back ontu itself at the rear of the tank, then you can just grab the handle and pull it out if needed. I prefer no hatch as I believe it adds to stiffness of the fuse and vibration costs you speed
Old 09-30-2008, 03:24 PM
liquid_TR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

engine wise,

I run my TT46 Pro on Mike's design Screaming Demon Delta with a 4oz tank (100ml), stock pipe, 9x7 APC and 5% nitro. I can fly for 5-6 minutes WOT and have a small reserve for landing.

5% nitro is all it needs. can do 200km/h level flight very easy with this airframe, confirming the engine can spin around and over 18k rpm in the air!

very respectable for the cost of this engine..
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
BlackB12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: daven

No problem cutting out foam for the servo, but I believe there is a carbon strip in there under the sheeting near the thick point of the wing, try to keep the servo as close to the aileron torque rods as feasable. You do not want to cut into the carbon strip.

Running the fuel lines is pretty common, if you mount the engine with the head at 9 oclock the fuel lines exit right behind the hear (a good place).

I use 1" filament tape on the tank and create a little pull handle by doubling a little extra tape back ontu itself at the rear of the tank, then you can just grab the handle and pull it out if needed. I prefer no hatch as I believe it adds to stiffness of the fuse and vibration costs you speed
Sounds good. I did put a few carbon strips at the thickest point of the wing under the balsa sheeting. I was thinking of putting the servo behind that. I did not yet glass the center of the wing so I was thinking of laying just a couple carbon strips on either end of that servo hole once that's cut, then glass over the carbon strips. Maybe this is overkill but oh well. The top of the wing I don't think I'll use any carbon under the normal central glassing of the joint.

Thanks for the fuel tank advice guys.

Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BlackB12

I did put a few carbon strips at the thickest point of the wing under the balsa sheeting...The top of the wing I don't think I'll use any carbon under the normal central glassing of the joint.
Did you use carbon strips at the high point of the wing on top? I believe the integrity of the wing on top is more important the then the bottom when it comes to folding a wing. Hence the 3/32 balsa on top and 1/16 balsa on bottom. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor
Did you use carbon strips at the high point of the wing on top? I believe the integrity of the wing on top is more important the then the bottom when it comes to folding a wing. Hence the 3/32 balsa on top and 1/16 balsa on bottom. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
It is not the integrity that is in question, it is the failure mode. In a wing failure caused by positive G's (e.g. - a hard pylon turn), the bottom skin is in tension and the top is in compression. Tension is a stable state and the bottom skin and spar will carry a tension load up to the point of the material failing at it's tensile limit. Compression is not a stable state and the top skin and spar are subject to elastic buckling failures. Depending on the skin thickness, rib spacing and other support details, an elastic buckling failure can take place at a small fraction of the actual material failure point. To counter this, a thicker skin is used, which is less prone to a buckling failure.

Mark
Old 10-06-2008, 07:08 PM
BlackB12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can someone help me on locating a place to mount the throttle pushrod? Since I'm using a metal plate mount there's no hole to have it come through. Should I drill the metal backplate mount? Plans show a flexible pushrod going under the tank but it's showing a regular nylon type engine mount. See attached pic.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77681.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	1047203  
Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Fxrs_tim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BlackB12

Can someone help me on locating a place to mount the throttle pushrod? Since I'm using a metal plate mount there's no hole to have it come through. Should I drill the metal backplate mount? Plans show a flexible pushrod going under the tank but it's showing a regular nylon type engine mount. See attached pic.

Mike

You've got it correct. Just make sure you have a straight line from your throttle arm to the hole and you'll be fine.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:54 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, drill right through the motor mount. I like to drill a hole at least 1/4" round so that a ball joint end can go through the hole. Just be carefull with the aluminum shavings when drilling and make sure you miss the back of the motor