Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weird Dust Range Check:

Old 05-24-2003, 06:41 PM
wuness

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Weird Dust Range Check:

My new Diamond Dust has a new GWS dual conversion Rx, used Futaba servos, and new batteries. My radio is a Futaba 8U. When I took it out on the maiden flight yesterday and did the range check, the servos began to buzz at 30 feet (engine off and antenna down) and developed serious chatter at 90 feet. With the antenna up, no problem. I then walked out 300 feet (with antenna up and engine on) and experienced only minimal chatter. We decided the problem might be the configuration of the looped Rx antenna and all that carbon fiber at ground level. An experienced Dust flier took it up and we flew it twice without any sign of problem. Is the range check problem I experienced an idiosyncrasy of the Dust design and not a serious problem or am I asking for trouble if I fly again? I would appreciate your input but I may not wait for an answer. Flying the Dust was such a thrill I need to get out to the field again. Wuness
Old 05-24-2003, 07:49 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dust range check

The looped antenna shouldn't be a problem.

I am a big believer in FMA Quantum receivers. I use them in my Dust and Whiplash and have never had single glitch. Jeff Gilbert uses Hitec receivers and has good luck with them as well.

Hard to say what is causing your problem but based on my experience it should not be the airplane.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

first dont do a range check with the plane on the ground. you will get interferance, get a friend to hold it up, and personaly i dont like the loop coz the aerial can hide behind those rods, mines out in free air.
if you must have a loop, then get your buddy to hold it so it isnt hidden, ie, you would see the circle.
i did get a strange problem with a GWS 8Ch RX in my dust, the plane acted nervous, it didnt feel like interferance, but more like bad CofG or design, i changed the Rx over and it became rock soild.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:13 PM
murrat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Also had glitch problem on Clipped Dust

I had glitch problem in flight. Almost lost it.
I am using a Berg 5 DSP RX, channel 37.

I passed range check at 85feet with someone holding up the dust. Antenna routed in loop as well.

I had three glitches in flight. After landing I noticed the pipe header was loose. Could this be the source?

Todd
Old 05-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yep, a loose headder give metal to metal vibration, bingo, interferance. was this the first flight? did it do it before?
if you didnt have the loose headder i'd be after your loop tho, interferance when its edge on to you is the sign
Old 05-25-2003, 07:45 PM
murrat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi phillybaby
This was my first flight with new engine an pipe, so never had a previous problem.
I didn't catch exactly what you meant about the RX loop.
If that is also a problem, do a see it with a flyby with the wing tip pointed directly at my TX?

regards
Todd

Originally posted by phillybaby
yep, a loose header give metal to metal vibration, bingo, interference. was this the first flight? did it do it before?
if you didn't have the loose header i'd be after your loop tho, interference when its edge on to you is the sign
Old 05-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i might be proved wrong by tests, but i just dont like that aerial looped round and then hidden behind the carbon leading edge. i like to aee aerials set in two axis in a L shape if possible, if not then out the back will do.
i would expect the glitch before comming past your self at head height or lower, not sure about wing tip.
flew mine today with no glitches anywhere, aerial runs up the fin and off the top