Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

what can I build that will go fast ?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

what can I build that will go fast ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:56 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what can I build that will go fast ?

Yes, we see that posted in here a lot.

It comes down to your model skill, pilot skill, and budget.

I thought I would take the opportunity to cross-link posts to an excellent example of a smooth, stable, aerobatic, powerful and fast aircraft project.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8013779

This aircraft and many like it were the core of pattern competition back in the days when a 120 mph, 1/4 mile long, 4-point roll was the name of the game.

No, this type of classic aircraft does not come in ARF.

But there are a lot of very good 1970s-1980s pattern designs out there still available as kits, semi-kits or just as plans - all will get the results most speed-minded folks are looking for.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 AM
I-Love-Jets

Default RE: what can I build that will go fast ?

Yes the classic CURARE .60 (the most famous Hanno Prettner design) still remains one of the best looking RC1 pattern planes.

The above linked formidable scratch built example obviously was built and finished in superior quality. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

There are still
[ul][*] Curare[*] Minare ( = Curare .40)[*] Curare .20[*] Curare .10 [*] COMET[*] LEOPARD[*] BLUE ANGEL
[/ul]
kits available from Germany (full glassed versions too). They are still very popular here for fast & fun sport pattern flying...

For addresses please check out the manufacturers listed [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7985017/tm.htm]HERE[/link].

To make these pattern planes faster than 150 mph, you just need a thinner wing (ca 9%) and thinner elevator and a performance 15cc 2-stroker (JETT .90 LX, OS .91 VR-DF etc).

Curare .60

Curare .40

Curare .10

Blue Angel .60

Leopard .60

Flipper Olympia .60

COMET II .60

Jetfire II .60

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68996.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1045275  
Old 10-03-2008, 10:45 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bob27s
But there are a lot of very good 1970s-1980s pattern designs out there still available as kits, semi-kits or just as plans - all will get the results most speed-minded folks are looking for.
Bob, is there a list of us kit suppliers for 40-60 sized pattern planes?? I have a RE Russian motor .60 that I would like to build something around, but haven't seen much for kits (no arfs) other than the super expensive EBAY ads for rare older pattern models.

I have a tsunami (pseudo pattern plane) that I will build around my Jett .50, but looking for something just a little bigger (but not too big).

I'd prefer something that I could hide as much of the tuned pipe inside the fuse??

I really don't know much about pattern planes, I guess I need to check out those forums...

thanks for the info.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

At one time the classic pattern forum has a thread with suppliers. I guess its not a sticky.

Dan at Carolina Custom Aircraft is who you want to speak with for your RE engine. A T2A-mk2 is the perfect RE project (glass/foam). Reasonable 1980's type size.

He will also have the EU1-A available soon, but Im not sure how that will perform with the russian engine - its a big bird and took a honkin .61 to really make it perform. Drop him a PM .... he has some nice aircraft available.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...=1&memid=28990

More common kits for RE like the old Bridi Escape, XLT are fairly easy to come by (wood/foam). Pipe runs through the canopy.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I-Love-Jets

Here’s the link of suppliers of US classic pattern kits

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3053513/tm.htm]List of Classic Pattern Kit Manufacturers[/link]

The German suppliers of above pictured planes are:

[link=http://shop.wega-sunshine.com/]WEGA-SUNSHINE[/link]

[link=http://www.bitmodell.de/]BIT-Modellbau[/link]

[link=http://www.rc-tronics-topp-rippin.de/]TOPP-RIPPIN[/link]

Old 10-03-2008, 05:11 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they make a tsunami .60 I had the 40 size and loved it. I will be ordering one soon for the 60LX with retracts.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:40 PM
daven

Is the Tsunami .60 available??

The website says "coming soon".

I'd buy that in a heart beat. Love the looks of it.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:46 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bob, where would you get an engine ?[X(]. what about the bullet looking pattern design, i think his rcu handle is bobr2, that was posted here a yr or so ago. that looks like a great design.

david
Old 10-03-2008, 06:51 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one from DC set back on the shelf

Look up JunoRC he also kits the Tsunami
Old 10-03-2008, 07:04 PM
daven

I have a .40 kit on the shelf, but not a .60.

You have one vic??
Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 PM
vicman

.40 size from Direct Connection
Old 10-04-2008, 01:34 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will call them on monday to see if they have both the 40 and the 60 ready to ship. I will buy a couple of them.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Guys:

Strange how things go around. There is a 40 sized DC Tsunami on the bench, fuse and wing tail feathers framed up. Happens to be #5 or so and each lasted many years and many flights, my most favorite airplane of all time. It flys a great pattern, best 1/4 mile slow roll around. Also my go to open class club racer for a lot of years until the gang came out with something quicker and it died a unnatural death. Forget retracts unless you will go for trike gear, the wing sweep will not accommodate standard retracts near the D tube but you can move the mains back, build up the nose a little and make them work. Did not go with retracts because of the weight that I am not willing to add. Did have to stretch the nose out only about 1/4" to accommodate the Jett 60LX. Kit provider is Juno RC, no 60 available, would prefer the 40 size regardless. This one is not being kitt bashed, in the past, standard configuration is quick enough to take on anything but a formula or Q-500. Allmost seems to increase speed in the corners which of course is not possible, nontheless very quick in the corners. If you build one, don't be afraid of the two piece fuse sides, never had one come apart in years of abuse. Leave her stock, you can always cut some wing off if needed. She is quicker than the Bredi Kayos and the Minare, but may have been engine or pilot related causes. Will outrun a Q-500 OS or TT powered.

Caution: My kit from Juno was identical with those from DC, part of the original stock Juno purchased I think. After having difficulty in making the fuse streight even with pin in place jigs, I found the plans were distorted in both the fuse and wing area. Was building around the time of Ike, and could not get ahold of Juno RC as the net was down, but able to work around the problem. Measure yours to be sure, and enjoy a great little bird. Maby we can all get togeather on nutural turf, would still like a shot at daven, vicman, bob, and I love Jetts before my time is up. Have no problem loosing to my betters, just have not found many. he he he. ENJOY
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

You got me Bob! I thought you were asking a question! Should have known-

I can truly say with 100% certainty that there is nothing I know about RC that Bob does not already know....

You are a legend Bob-Jett!

Those Curare pictures almost make me cry with envy...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 PM
vicman

Roger and Razor, heck anyone else who wants a piece of this is welcome to it!
Come this way next June for the 2nd annual Carolina Speed Rally. I'll be waitin[>:]
Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Phoenix 8 "kit" pass thru my hands years ago

kit = galss fuse and foam cores
Old 10-11-2008, 04:18 PM
I-Love-Jets

ORIGINAL: rmenke

The 90 VRDF is a different beed of cat as ar several other DF engines available. Have had a OS vrdf engine in the cabinet for a couple of years now waiting for a good overall airframe design of the wing thing type. Not looking for 200 mph, allready have several capable of low 200's, but fading eyesight and reactions make us something of a hazzard. The around 150's are still sound and safe, I think. Just want something stable, large enough to accommodate the 90 along with retract weight and decent fuel load. Of course it should be quick, otherwise a nap would be in order. Let me know if something comes to mind.

Hello rmenke,

check out the JETFIRE 2 made by Topp-Rippin:

That is basically an RC1 pattern plane looking like a classic 50s jet fighter. Because the wing airfoil’s character is comparable to a good RCI pattern plane (Curare etc) retracts are possible.

You should install the OS .91 VR-DF inverted. The fully integrated muffled tuned pipe ([link=http://www.jetmodelproducts.com/exhaust.htm]Jetmodelproducts JMP 2[/link] preferably) just would need two small air scoop intakes right behind the firewall and an air outlet behind the tuned pipe that features a slightly larger area than both intakes combined. That negative pressure trick promotes effective pipe cooling within the pipe tunnel.

As for a commercially available and cheap prop that is able to withstand the power of a 15 cc ducted fan engine you could use the Zinger 11x10 (#513) wood prop that is cut to 9.5“ of diameter + rebalanced.

Besides powerful dives from high altitude very large loops and slow rolls should be the most fun. This is not a plane for the pylon course...

With the OS.91VR-DF engine and the Zinger 9.5x10 prop top speed will definitely exceed 150 mph...

I personally would shorten the ailerons to avoil flutter issues. Just leave the outer 20% of each wing aileron fixed. Same applies to the the rudder and the elevator length.

Talking eyesight the wing span of 70“ and total length of 54“ makes this plane easy to follow enabling very high altitude speed dives (1000 ft). [>:]

The JETFIRE 2 like all well designed pattern planes does slow down nicely for landing.