Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

GP SHOESTRING or Midget Mustang by WM for YS 1.10

Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

GP SHOESTRING or Midget Mustang by WM for YS 1.10

Old 10-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GP SHOESTRING or Midget Mustang by WM for YS 1.10

I playing with the idea of repowering my GP Shoestring with an extra YS 1.10 that I have laying around, or putting in my WM Midget Mustang. Does anyone have any experience with this engine and these planes.
The Shoe has been flying for several years with a Tower .75, but I would like a little more speed. Can these planes take the added speed that a YS 1.10 with a high pitch prop can deliver?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GP SHOESTRING or Midget Mustang by WM for YS 1.10

Motorman:

A number of us out here have had Jett 90's in the Shoestring, Little Tony, Mustang and latest Alley Cat. The general design of all of the above are based on a sport wing, that along with a draggy fuse limits the potential of the overall package. There are formula racers that equiped with a good Nelson or Jett engilne that will give you the most cost effective around 200 mph speed. Most of the local area warbird racers are useing the YS 110 along with high nitro fuel and big pitch props to get some good speed out of the total package with success. The real fast guys have their engines modified and push the rpm's above recommended limits. The still faster guys are stuffing OS 90 VRDF fan engines and have learned how to keep them alive. The YS guys are pushing 14,000 plus, the OS guys over 20,000, whee. The anticipated life of either is short as neither engine was designed for that type of use. My YS engines will stay in their 3D birds, while my 90 VRDF is waiting for a home brew bird that just seems to always be pushed back in favor of some real scooters, 40 sized airframes with Jett 60LX power. The Jett 60 is one of the few 60 sized engines available on the market that will crank way over the typical 13,500 rpm sport engine and still be user friendly. Yes, the OPS will turn well when modified, but the great engine artists are around Germany, apparently have more work than they want. If you really want to go fast, prepair to invest dollars and start reading and get educated from the diverse information available on the net, there is lots. ENJOY
Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Iflyglow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am not looking for a different airframe. I have these two airframes allready, and it will be fast enough for me. I am just asking if they will hold up to a YS 1.10 spinning like a 14-10 or 13-12. Will the stab and and airframe hold up without fluttering to pieces.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 AM
still4given

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have experience with the two frames you speak of but I have three planes with YS 1.10's in them. A [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGM2&P=ML]Phoenix Models Strega[/link], a [link=http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN4325]Hanger 9 T-34[/link] and a [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/nizefi5254sc.html]NitroModels Zero Fighter[/link]. I have not had any trouble with them holding up so far. I run the APC 13x11 on them and 45% nitro.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48562.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1053403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58901.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1053404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42727.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1053405  
Old 10-18-2008, 04:35 PM
RWHorton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have either plane you mention, but my GP cosmic wind with the ys 1.10 and a 14x11 runs about 120 mph. I took all the monokote off reinforce the wing glassed the wing and stab. Flies great is all I can say.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Iflyglow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The wing center section was glassed when I built the ARF. The stab is built up, but unmodded. It seams very stiff. It took everything the Tower .75 & APC 12-7 could throw at it, but the speed difference with the 1.10 I think will be much higher. The Stock .75 turns a little over 12,000 on the ground.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:07 PM
russm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have the gp shoestring-ys110 setup. no problems. bought it with a 61fx already installed in it. boring. tried my jett90lx next. much better, but the ys110 really brought this plane to life it is a very nice combo.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:42 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the cosmic wind minnow. First plane was a good flyer but not fast with the OS 91 surpass. This ones gettin the YS110. I cant imagine any probs with the shoestring. Im just gonna lay a strip of glass down the center of the wing and add a couple dowels for the leading edge of the wing to fit into the fuse. Gonna try robart hinges all around. If the rear surfaces arent big enough Ill do some dubro nylon hinges. I initially hated the way the minnow looked in pics but bought it built as a second plane. It looks much better in person and flys great. I learned to really like that plane. So a new ones waitin for me. Cant wait till next spring.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Iflyglow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Russim,
Could you post some pic's of the YS install in the Shoe? I do have an extra cowl for the Shoe, so that the swap will not be a problem. What prop are you running, and what did you do for a fuel tank?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
RWHorton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For breakin I used an APC 14x10. Great vertical, pulls like a tractor, mph is down to the mid 105 range. My two cents is that the motor is turning in the mid 9,500 on the ground and as slick as this plane is I am sure it's unloading in the air quite a bit. I can't remember what the 14x11 turns on the ground. I bought a 13.5x12.5 to try. Haven't tried it though. One issue with these high pitched props is you don't get any dynamic braking with them. The plane on landing bleeds off speed very slowly.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:53 AM
russm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

have to agree w/ rh above. right now a 13-6 apc. no digital camera for pics. like the toni and minnow, the tank fits in the first former very tight. not a good thing. i take a dremal and ream out the former about an 1/8", then wrap the tank in some thin foam and slide it in makeing sure the foam stays in place. then i pack the balance of the cavity with foam. have had problems w/ bubbles in the past. this has cured the problem for me.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:42 PM
RWHorton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A nice feature of the ys engine is that you can place the tank anywhere. I moved the tank back so it sits over the cg. I made a couple of formers for the tank to fit into. The battery is as far foward as I can get it. With this setup I don't have any trim changes during the flight.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Iflyglow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am well aware of the operation of a YS. I have been running them for years, I just never shoehorned one in a small plane.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Iflyglow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: russm

have to agree w/ rh above. right now a 13-6 apc. no digital camera for pics. like the toni and minnow, the tank fits in the first former very tight. not a good thing. i take a dremal and ream out the former about an 1/8", then wrap the tank in some thin foam and slide it in makeing sure the foam stays in place. then i pack the balance of the cavity with foam. have had problems w/ bubbles in the past. this has cured the problem for me.

You sure you have a YS 1.10, because a 13-6 is way way way to small.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:05 PM
russm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

14-6, my mistake. no shoehorning involved. anything smaller is not worth the effort. and yes, it is a 110
Old 10-23-2008, 02:40 AM
C_Roundy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

ORIGINAL: russm

You sure you have a YS 1.10, because a 13-6 is way way way to small.
Quote from "russm": "14-6, my mistake. no shoehorning involved. anything smaller is not worth the effort. and yes, it is a 110"

Quote directly from YS 110S manual: Select a good quality propeller that will turn in the 8,000 to
11,000rpm range. We recommend sizes 14x11-12, 15x10-11.................................

Have fun, but please be safe with your props around people. Whether or not you are gonna prop your engines to your advantage.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Iflyglow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Russ,
You are still 5 inches off on the prop. YS calls for a 14-11 as the smallest for the "S model" and 14-10 for the older FZ1.10 .[X(] Are you sure you have a 14-6 on there.[sm=confused.gif] If you do, I sure the heck would get it off that YS.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have both and could be a coin toss from my side. I love the Shoestring andhave a G90 and does well. The way the plane is built though, Jett 90 could give it a real beating-but would be fun to watch for a while
Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Iflyglow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will the Shoestring stay in one piece? The wing is glassed from day one. I am concerned about elevator and rudder flutter more than anything. The bottom stingers were replaced with spruce from day one two. The concerns are really with the fuse towards the tail and the tail. The YS 1.10S's can really put out the ponies. They will turn a APC 15-8 over 10,000, and have no problem spinning 14-11 and 13-13 props up around 10,000 too. My other option is the WM Midget Mustang which is also sitting down stairs.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
RWHorton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry I can't help on this one. I hate to speculate weather a plane can handle the aerodynamic loads we ask of them. My father worked on the C5 project. He was part of the team at lockhead that designed the landing gear. I asked him how they came up with the landing loads the plane might see. He told me they ran all the number and in the end when they were satisfied they had it right they doubled those numbers. The point I am making is we can guess till christmass and then all it takes is one gust of wind coming the wrong way and all will be lost.

I have built and design several fast planes, never had one fail yet, could have built them lighter, but then who knows what might of happen. Rule #1 if it looks weak it most likely is.

When I fly my little toni I don't abuse it but I do make a few racing lapes with it, With the thin wing these birds have, it will high speed stall asap so I respect this plane alot for what it is and what it does. It is such a gracefull flying plane I would hate to lose her.

Good Luck.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:18 PM
russm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

have had no problems with this setup. it is not as fast as my toni w/ the same setup. kind of a fat fuse and thick wing, but moves right along. lands a lot slower than the toni. like i said before, a very nice plane-engine combo. p.s. to horten, love my toni`s too.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:47 PM
RWHorton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had the GP little toni back in the Mid 80, (seams like a long time ago) was a long time ago[] Anyway It had a enya 1.20 in the nose and I couldn't get the engine to run the same twice, but when it did run it was a great flying plane. This set up with the ys 1.10 IMHO is the best plane/engine combo out there.

My question to GP is why pull it off the market, I am sure they were selling.

Great flying plane,
Old 10-25-2008, 01:53 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RWHorton

I had the GP little toni back in the Mid 80, (seams like a long time ago) was a long time ago[] Anyway It had a enya 1.20 in the nose and I couldn't get the engine to run the same twice, but when it did run it was a great flying plane. This set up with the ys 1.10 IMHO is the best plane/engine combo out there.

My question to GP is why pull it off the market, I am sure they were selling.

Great flying plane,
????
GP Toni and Minnow are both still available... I know the Toni was out of stock for a while.

The GP Shoestring was discontinued - was the first of their racers and for the most part was the slowest of the 3. Still a nice flying airplane.

Was it one of the Joe Bridi aircraft Toni's you had back in the 80s? Glass/foam setup?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:57 PM
RWHorton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, Great fling Plane. With todays ys 1.40 that would be a rocket.

Back then they had races for the 1/4 scale goodyear racers. Living in the south I never made a trip to an event though.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Iflyglow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just picked up a NIB "Shoestring" last night. Now I can leave my other one as is with the Tower .75.