Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Building board ?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 AM
p.j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building board ?

Hi all. I would like to build my first 40 size delta but because of its wide shape I need a different building board than I use for my other planes . I was wondering what you guys build your deltas on .

Thanks P.J
Old 11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Building board ?

I guess you could look at it as a wide fuse or a short wing span for a 40 size. A 30"x40" table works for me.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:16 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I build on a 4x8 foot sheet of partical board that is actually the outfeed table of my tablesaw. Tape the plans to the table, tape waxed paper over the plans, mist the wax paper with spray adhesive to hold the wood pieces in place. No pins, jigs, etc, just use a small 90 degree triangle to keep things square. A Diamond Dust can be laid out in pencil directly on the building board in just a few minutes.

BTW, forgot to mention that a DD will come out true if the tubular spars are elevated on 1x2s [after the ribs are slid over them and before any gluing is done]. This is as fancy as the "jig" needs to be. Use a small square [or triangle] to line up all the pieces over the lines on the plan, then tack it all together with CA glue. Just like building a kite, but more fun afterwards.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 PM
p.j

I am looking at building the Skyfire 40 from Radical RC.

P.J
Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: p.j

Hi all. I would like to build my first 40 size delta but because of its wide shape I need a different building board than I use for my other planes . I was wondering what you guys build your deltas on .

Thanks P.J
My building board is a cheap interior door that I carefully shimmed straight on a wooden base. To the top, I used contact cement to laminate a layer of cork. Works great. Not small though. You could cut one in half. Sometimes you can scoop these from a junk yard or when someone is renovating.

MJD