Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston uk working on Mini MagnumR prototype

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston uk working on Mini MagnumR prototype

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:39 PM
mk1spitfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston uk working on Mini MagnumR prototype

Looks like to take a hot 36 such as their powerhouse V1 and Electric version.

New twin 36v1 for massivive horsepower to go in bigger magnumR.......!!!!!!!!! Twin pipes howling in harmonics....Yerrrrrrrrrrrrr

Scroll down on page and you will see their prototype Vampire plane also, with enclosed tuned pipe, again powered by that screemin hot 36v1 single.

Westonuk sure love their speed the way they modify those webras

http://www.westonuk.co.uk/index_029.htm
Old 11-13-2008, 10:06 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Weston uk working on Mini MagnumR prototype

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

Westonuk sure love their speed the way they modify those webras

http://www.westonuk.co.uk/index_029.htm
For sure, great stuff. They would have more credibility if they didn't exaggerate the aircraft speeds so much..

MJD
Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't forget the early Diamond Dust ads that claimed 200 mph. They even got "Mr 300 mph" [Eddie Hill] to do a testimonial endorsement.
BTW, that Vampire looks very cool [8D]!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like my full size Magnum and have wanted a 1/2a size for a while but haven't taken the time to scale one down.

That Vampire is cool!
Old 11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: vicman

I really like my full size Magnum and have wanted a 1/2a size for a while but haven't taken the time to scale one down.
Speaking of which (I spend far too much time sketching model ideas..) - Vicman, CP, I wanted to know, in general if I design a half-A aircraft where the engine compartment fits a TD fairly closely, will it accomodate a number of the combat etc. engines available these days? I know my VA's would fit, but I don't own any others, like Fora, Stels, Profi, etc. to check.

Thx,
MJD
Old 11-14-2008, 04:07 PM
vicman

I'm not the best guy to ask since all I have are Black Widows, TDs, and Norvels. CP is the guy with the spendy motors.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:48 PM
combatpigg

The Cyclon and Fora come with backplate mounts for 4 screws. I use #2 sheetmetal screws into 1/8" plywood. The firewall needs to be a 1 1/4" diameter circle with a notch in it to clear the exhaust stack.
I've thought about doing a 1/2A Vampire. The Magnum would be a great one to do a SWR with.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:53 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The Cyclon and Fora come with backplate mounts for 4 screws. I use #2 sheetmetal screws into 1/8" plywood. The firewall needs to be a 1 1/4" diameter circle with a notch in it to clear the exhaust stack.
I've thought about doing a 1/2A Vampire. The Magnum would be a great one to do a SWR with.
No, no, no. It has to have a proper airfoil!!

Oh no-o-o-o-o, not this one again... nope, just foolin'.

Okay, I can picture that but I don't know how to size the notch. What about firewall to prop driver face height? Any chance of scaring up those numbers? Ple-e-e-a-s-e[sm=kiss.gif]?

MJD

a.k.a. Mr. D
Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 PM
combatpigg

I've got a couple of project drawings that might help, but there's no substitute for having an engine in your hand to size things up with. I just attack the model with a "rasp bit" on a die grinder when it is time to clear the exhaust, then glass the gaping hole back up after the model is built. It helps to have a 1/2" thick balsa sub-firewall behind the plywood.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 PM
MJD

I've got a couple of project drawings that might help, but there's no substitute for having an engine in your hand to size things up with. I just attack the model with a "rasp bit" on a die grinder when it is time to clear the exhaust, then glass the gaping hole back up after the model is built. It helps to have a 1/2" thick balsa sub-firewall behind the plywood.
Isn't a chainsaw blade about the right thickness to cut a tunnel for the header...? You could do 'er in one quick swipe.

Yeah, I'd like to have examples of those engines but I don't for now.. all I have anymore are these lousy Italian speed engines [&o].

MJD
Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 PM
combatpigg

A chainsaw would be perfect! Why not just bolt a chainsaw directly to a workbench vertically and use it like 5 or 6 tools in 1?

I think you need to get moving with the OPS projects before we start fantasizing about 1/2A projects [>:]
Old 11-14-2008, 08:08 PM
MJD

A chainsaw would be perfect! Why not just bolt a chainsaw directly to a workbench vertically and use it like 5 or 6 tools in 1?

I think you need to get moving with the OPS projects before we start fantasizing about 1/2A projects [>:]
Spinning one at 900 rpm in a lathe chuck would make a great free-hand shaping tool. Or is that a free hand-shaping tool..?

Yes yes, I am working on the Whiplash speed trainer.. really.. and weather permitting I hope to fire up one of the .65's on the test stand this weekend.

MJD
Old 11-14-2008, 08:12 PM
combatpigg

Test stand?? The Whip IS the test stand. If it sounds good, then let it go!! Test stand are for old men who can't fly any more!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 PM
vicman

Of course you would then have a Shop Smithy lathe mill combo...Ask PT about that idea.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 PM
combatpigg

Wonder how many millions of dollars of units they have sold compared to how many dollars worth of parts those Shop Smiths have ever produced?

A good place to start with a 1/2A Magnum would be 150 squares....about 30x 6 at the root and allow it to taper towards the tips. I think the Rifle is a slightly better looking plane. Almost the same plane, just a little bit more "believable" looking.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:10 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

CP:

Right on!!!! You are sure my kind of guy!!! Do you think that MJD is sort of getting cold feet??
Old 11-15-2008, 09:10 PM
combatpigg

Roger, maybe we should start a "no questions asked" test stand surrender program for guys who are in the brotherhood but have" lost their way"?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: rmenke

CP:

Right on!!!! You are sure my kind of guy!!! Do you think that MJD is sort of getting cold feet??
Wha-wha-what? No cold feet here, buddy boy, them little ol' engines don't scare me. Geez Louise, I haven't built and test flown it this weekend and I'm takin' it from all sides. When I saw the piles of wet squishy crud belching out of the clouds from Saturday morning onwards I gave up on any such notions for the moment, it really is crap here. Whole whack of trees down from the weight of the spooge on the branches. You guys were probably flying in T-shirts today [&o].

CP - 150 squares? I'm talkin' about a squirts-and-giggles 1/2A Magnum, and yer talkin' about powered gliders. What gives? 9-10 ounces, 100 squares, something like that maybe? Wait I better check - with that silly wing, it might only have a 7" span.

MJD
Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 PM
combatpigg

MJD, 150 is a little bit doggy. The Outlaw is 124 sq in.. There was another SWR that was 105 and weighs 11 ozs.....pretty much the upper limit for wing loading.

Besides running 4 bolts and a header mount into your Whip, [2 hours for a union mechanic] don't forget your main assignment for this winter.......the 220 mph ME 163!!! As keeper of the OPS .65s, this is your destiny [8D]!!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 AM
MJD

MJD, 150 is a little bit doggy. The Outlaw is 124 sq in.. There was another SWR that was 105 and weighs 11 ozs.....pretty much the upper limit for wing loading.

Besides running 4 bolts and a header mount into your Whip, [2 hours for a union mechanic] don't forget your main assignment for this winter.......the 220 mph ME 163!!! As keeper of the OPS .65s, this is your destiny [8D]!!
Now looky here, union-boy, you think I'm making up excuses? That thing needs major surgery on the engine mount, I'm still working on where to stuff all the fuel, my Mac's pipe ain't here yet (I only have muffled OPS pipes at the moment), I gotta make a plug and mold the cowl/pipe tunnel, there's 3 inches of slush on the ground, it's freezing, the car needs brakes, the wife wants me to renovate the bedroom (actually that would be "novate", there's nothing to redo), the dog ate my homework and my piles are acting up [:@]!

And wait a minute.. I thought I was supposed to finish the pulsejet this winter? Goodness me*, lookit all the projects, what's a fellow to do?

MJD

* that's not really what I would normally say, but I must abide by the rules.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 AM
combatpigg

I took all that other stuff into consideration, that's why I gave you 2 hours instead of 1. I would seriously reconsider cowling the whip until after you fly it, it might end up being a waste of time. The plane will let you know after you fly it if it deserves the extra attention [and weight]. It does look like the engine will need to be shoved back. If you've got questions you could contact Chuck Auger at one of the other forums.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
vicman

Insert mancard into the slot ___________

[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

CP:

Are you sure all had a proper direction in the first place? Us-n older guys seem to have a slight tendancy to become a little more critical as the years go buy. That twin boom thingy has given rise to some inspiration, picture a 90 OSVRDF upright, pipe extending to the tail, 10 X 9.5 or 10 CF prop singing around 24,000, retracts with doors. Bring on the quickees and rifles!!!! MJD, you gotta realize we jump your case with honest affection for our fellow man just because you are so much fun to jump on!! Buy the way, did anyone tell you that that OPS is a cranky nasty, hatefull thing that loves to hydraulic lock, sling props and plugs and challange your knowledge of all internal combstion engines???? Mine has the piston skirt cut down, crank rod and shaft lightened, OSVRDF carb and other modifications, where the combinations therin appear to be a bomb looking for a place to go bang. It sets in the motor cabinet gathering dust after loosilng favor to my Jett 60LX, and OS91VRDF, a case of love at first flight. OMG, her song is inspirational to all that has a mechanical soul. A honest offer. If you have problems with yours, let me know and will send you my beast, prop and pipe. You return whats left after she pulls the wings off what ever you get the guts to stick the thing in. Don't think you can really hirt these things much. Would love to hear/see your reaction to pilotilng something scooting in the 200mph range. Don't blink, concentrate on keeping it in close, have someone close by to help you trim. Don't take your eyes off the thing or it will be gone. It is a experience only a few will ever have and one you will never forget. ENJOY
Old 11-17-2008, 04:23 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: rmenke
MJD, you gotta realize we jump your case with honest affection for our fellow man just because you are so much fun to jump on!! Buy the way, did anyone tell you that that OPS is a cranky nasty, hatefull thing that loves to hydraulic lock, sling props and plugs and challange your knowledge of all internal combstion engines???? Mine has the piston skirt cut down, crank rod and shaft lightened, OSVRDF carb and other modifications, where the combinations therin appear to be a bomb looking for a place to go bang. It sets in the motor cabinet gathering dust after loosilng favor to my Jett 60LX, and OS91VRDF, a case of love at first flight. OMG, her song is inspirational to all that has a mechanical soul. A honest offer. If you have problems with yours, let me know and will send you my beast, prop and pipe. You return whats left after she pulls the wings off what ever you get the guts to stick the thing in. Don't think you can really hirt these things much. Would love to hear/see your reaction to pilotilng something scooting in the 200mph range. Don't blink, concentrate on keeping it in close, have someone close by to help you trim. Don't take your eyes off the thing or it will be gone. It is a experience only a few will ever have and one you will never forget. ENJOY
Yeah, it's all good, jump away! Nobody ever takes me seriously anyhow.. [&o]

Bring on the beast. I am looking forward to this speed airplane thing with "glee and anticipation". Sometimes modelling activities just go status quo for a while, so it seems to me anyhow, and then once in a while you take a sharp turn in some other direction. They're pretty much all good directions (the jury's still out on lekkies..), so how can you lose? I think I can handle this sort of aircraft, but I am by no means complacent towards either the engines or the prospect of flying them. I've been working up to it. Besides, I figure enough other folks can fly 'em, I can too.

I nearly have my good flying buddies educated to STFU (you can figure that one out.. ) when I am flying fast stuff, they seem to think I don't need to concentrate sometimes.

Now, as to that monster you have lying dormant in your cabinet waiting to be fed fuel, that's quite an offer. That engine belongs in the nose of a nicely finished Strega.. [>:]. I'll video my efforts at running and setting up one of the .65's. My son will be eager to help in the hopes of catching a shot of a finger flying off in midair. I am BTW really itching for those Stregas, one of those honkin' low down the field with the gear up and doing 200+ on a howling .65 should be enough to wake the dead. Sounds like fun anyhow. At least I have about 5 months to plug away at these fantasies now.. sigh.

MJD
Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 PM
combatpigg

Roger, I like your plans for a .60 sized Vampire, it would be a real bat out of Hell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.