Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Dominator pushrod exits. How?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:17 PM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dominator pushrod exits. How?

The Dominator 500 project is again on my workbench and I'm ready to install elevator and rudder (traditional tail) pushrods. I have some carbon rod for the pushrod material that I'm going to slide 2-56 rods into on each end. My question is where should the pushrods exit the plane? The plans show the elevator on going through the side of the fuse and then attaching to the elevator horn which is mounted on the underside of the elevator. The rudder is not shown on the plans. However the picture on the box shows both rods coming out the top of the fuse. either way it's such a shallow angle and it would seem like I'd have a large slot to have the carbon rod transition from inside to outside the fuse. Or, would it be smart to end the carbon inside, then have wire coming out the fuse at a right angle so I could have thin slots in the fuse sides or top? Plans show a solid carbon pushrod all the way back to the surface, I guess for less chance of flex. Can anyone help or show me some pics of their rudder/elevator-built Dominators?

Mike
Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dominator pushrod exits. How?

post a photo or two of what you have now.

In general....

The elevator pushrod should be a straight line shot out the side of the fuselage.

Rudder pushrod should exit in front of the stab on the top.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dominator pushrod exits. How?

As Bob said a pic would help but for the most part a simple slot is what I do when I'm running push rods out of the fuse. Sometimes I do a little dog leg type thing to keep things from binding but never a full right angle. I can take some pics of what I'm talking about if you need.

Also whenever possible I put the control horn on the top of my elevators so that I am always pulling for up, that way I'm not depending on the rigidity of the push rod to make the surface move. I don't normally make the plane dive on purpose, the elevator for up is used most of the time.