Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Rossi 45 break in tips

Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
gio
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rossi 45 break in tips

Hi all, I just recieved my rossi 45 black head and I need some break in tips.
What will be the best way to do this.
Thanks

Gio.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Rossi 45 break in tips

Here's the best break in procedure I've found:[link]http://www.jettengineering.com/tech/breakin.html[/link]

Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We just ran in one Rossi Q40 engine the old skool way ... as usual use a prop of 1" smaller then we ran her about 2-3 tanks semi rich. After that it was running for about a whole gallon of 2-3 mins blubbering rich and peaking it for 30 secs. Pain in the butt but she was running so smooth after that. I ran in my Rossi 45 by running her rich for a few tanks then was off flying her.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:33 AM
YUKONFLYR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is what I do. I install the extra head shim and use 10% Nitro, 20% oil (50/50) castor/syn, balance methanol.
I use a 9x6 as the Rossi's like to turn the rpms. Crank it up at full throttle and screw the HS needle in to a clean 2 cycle (20 seconds) to warm it up a bit and straighten out the
liner. Then back it down to until it breaks into 4 cycle then back up to the point where its bouncing between a 2 and 4 cycle. I run it for an additional 2 minutes then shut it down to cool off. When its cold open the needle a half turn, then crank it up again for 3 minutes readjust the needle to the point between 2 and 4 cycle. I run it for a total of about 12 minutes (4 runs) then start pinching the fuel line to bring up the rpms a bit at random. After another 2 runs I will then set the idle screw as Rossi's always come filthy rich on the low speed needle. Once its running real good and has a great transition I will then fly the engine on a plane. After about 30 more minutes you will notice that the transition is a bit sluggish again. Its just the engine becomming fully broken in. Reset the low end and it should be good for a very long time.

I also take the engine apart prior to the first start and check it inside for metal debris ect. Gives you a chance to lube it up a bit as well

Rossi's are really great engines and once you get them broken in and tuned you will have a long lasting high output engine. Some of mine are 8 - 9 years old and still running strong
Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

put it on the test bench.

bolt on a 9x6 prop

use the fuel you are going to be flying with

Set the needle about 4-5 turns out (will be rich)

Fire it up, full throttle position - leave the glow driver on
Lean it out fairly rapidly after it starts until it is running a smooth 2c. Then remove the glow driver.

If you have a tach, set the engine to run about 17,000 rpm - should be a bit rich at that setting.

Just let it run like that for 3-4 tanks (15-20 min).

Then switch up to a 9x8 or a 10x6 - back out the needle slighly. Fire it up, lean it slowly to breifly find peak rpm... back out quickly about 400-500 rpm and let it run there. Two tanks like that. You now have a reference rpm for the flight prop and an approximate needle setting.

From there... time to fly it.

Most importantly..... stay behind the engine - stay out of the prop arc.

Bob
Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tIANci

We just ran in one Rossi Q40 engine the old skool way ... as usual use a prop of 1" smaller then we ran her about 2-3 tanks semi rich. After that it was running for about a whole gallon of 2-3 mins blubbering rich and peaking it for 30 secs. Pain in the butt but she was running so smooth after that. I ran in my Rossi 45 by running her rich for a few tanks then was off flying her.
This is good for an ABC/AAC engine????????
Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I usually make sure that a priest or at least a witch doctor is present.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:32 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MJD ... I know what you mean. Many say its best to run ABC/AAC near to its operating temp etc. I don't dismiss that but from what we have run so far (not saying its the Blibical truth) the engines are smooth and power is there, we do tach it to see what is the peak.

In the past when running in ABC car engines we would run it in rich (4 cycling) for at least 10-15 tanks and the engines have always lasted and they do have power. I know many will disagree but so far after doing it this way with many many many ABC car engines, we have not noticed any disadvantage.

Just brought back and Rossi 53 and will go to the field soon to break her in using the way most are suggesting, wanna see how it goes. I could not get a 9x6 will the load of a 40 pylon prop be ok? Its an 8.8 x 8.75. Anyone got the number for a good priest or witch doctor?