Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

P-51 eats dirt :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:22 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-51 eats dirt :(

Well the World model Rockwell P-51 bit the dust today after I removed a foot of wingtip when I clipped a barbwire fencepost at over 145 mph. Six hundred feet later it slid into the ground littering an area two hundred feet long. I didn’t know it was the fence that got it at first, I thought it lost the wing at the wheel well when the plane started rolling wildly and all I could do is close throttle and watch. It was some of the 30 pairs of eyeballs that told me I had clipped the fence and this seemed to be confirmed by the balsa shards near the fence post. Funny, I didn’t think I was that low and far out.

The plane of course is a total, but because of the shallow angle of earth entry there is little to no damage to many parts. The left wing and tail feathers were disintegrated yet the fuselage was well dented but intact. The spinner, header and left aileron servo are toast.
Everything will be gone through before it’s used again.

Most Importantly, the OS 70 heli engine is fine all thou the fins were well packed with earth, no dirt made it into the engine. The engine was totally torn down to inspect except the bearings were left in place. The engine inside is in super good condition with virtually no wear or rust after about 70 flights with 30%. It’s reassembled, oiled and in a ziplock bag waiting for a new P-51.

The good news is my son gave me a $150 LHS gift card for Christmas. The old plane was looking a bit ratty after 3 different engine installs and many flights anyway. R.I.P.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71350.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1098472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38173.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1098473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97171.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1098474  
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: P-51 eats dirt :(

Man that was something else FF !!

I was just getting ready to take the runway and looked up in time to see the tumbling yellow mass as it neared the end of it's journey.
You really had that thing cranking thru the turns and the straight speeds were looking to be almost gold class.
I hope you are planning to use that gift card to get another racer ready for this season.

FYI we ran a watch on the FW190 on two different flights. First time for 5 laps and she made the five in just under 59 secs.
Second time I ran 10 laps as fast as I could and managed a 1:48. This was with an OS FS 120E and 40% nitro.

I almost took a camera out to the crash site(s) but didn't know how you were doing so I didn't ask.

Glad the engine is OK...... even if it is a two stroke.

Hey BTW....they have another Kyosho Hein at RC Country with the cool camo finish....hint hint.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
freakingfast

Hi Tommy

Ya know, it’s been so long since I had a crash, it’s almost a relief to get it over with.
All you can do is shrug your shoulders and say Oops!

Wish you did take some pictures LOL.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 PM
freakingfast

The Spit or the FW190 I'll get for my back-up racer running the YS 110S.............with a secret prop.shhh!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 AM
SpeedBoy

FF sorry for your lost but glad to know your engine survived [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Now , lets talk about secret props , I promise I would not say anything to anybody ok ..... this is just between you and me , what prop are you planning to use on the YS ???

Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: Tommy_Gun

Man that was something else FF !!

I hope you are planning to use that gift card to get another racer ready for this season.
One day later and I have 100% of the parts to start over, this racing and the people are not to be missed.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent!
So, which plane did you go with?

I'm planning to be at SAMs this Thursday AM for some sport flying and practice with the 190 and Hein.

Vacation is fun!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Huntster

There are easier ways of doing an Engine inspection.... Just pulling your leg. I did that (minus the Fence) this past summer.

Would recommend that plane to others? I have built a few World Models ARFs and they are well built.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: Tommy_Gun

Excellent!
So, which plane did you go with?

I'm planning to be at SAMs this Thursday AM for some sport flying and practice with the 190 and Hein.

Vacation is fun!
Another Rockwell for now, It's proven and easy just to move the parts over. Dang! I forgot all the little improvements I did....two or three weekends, a few hours here and there during the week when I'm not wiped-out after work it'll get done right. I have 13 other planes on the "back burner".

PS
I went with the yellow because on the big roll of covering I have for it, but the gell coat they used on the cowling is a real poor color match to the rest of the plane this time..Yuk!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:04 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feed two of my Magnums grass....

Now I only feed the new one nitro fuel.