Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike with AME 0.061 Norvel...

Old 06-03-2003, 04:17 PM
jchuston

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Shrike with AME 0.061 Norvel...

So, I just bought a nice little Norvel engine off a guy on here...I built a plane for the engine, but have a funny feeling that the plane won't last long (a little flimsy and may be too squirrely to handle) but what I want to know is this...

How fast could I get a 1/2 A Shrike going with this little engine...and what prop would I use for maximum speed...I am sure someone has this setup...would this be a 100 mph plane...or more like 60, but since it is so small, looks like 100???

Thanks,

-John Huston
Old 06-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John, I fly this same setup w/ some other guys in club racing- we all fly the same set up and they are great. The throws must be set up w/ only a little deflection or expo around center - see the directions. It does seem to fly fast so you need to stay close and use some bright colors. It flys like its on rails and is strong enough- we use it for pylon racing. Use micro servos and a small rec. - its not big inside. As for speed - It seems very fast the first time but I doubt it flys faster then 60 mph. Use a 4.75 x 4 APC for speed or a 5.7 x 3 APC for sport. Go for it - break in the norvel per the instructions and have a blast. Dale
Old 06-04-2003, 10:55 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John, One correction- we use the Big Mig .061 and you have the AME - so yours should be faster
Old 06-04-2003, 11:34 PM
jchuston

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Schu...

I was beginning to think that no one was gonna respond...

I will not be breaking in the engine because the thing was purchased from someone here on RCU...SRAfoamflyer...so far so good...once I get the right prop, things should be great...

Right now I am going to put it on a 1/2A scaled down version of the popular Taco...it is a little profile plane...is about a pound fully loaded and has a 24" wingspan...it is a very delicate little bird though...it is my firs build so there may be some flaws but the stabalisers and the control surfaces are all 1/8" thick...one rough landing and the shrike will be ordered!!!

Thanks again!!

-John