Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

What 50ish for speed on a budget

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

What 50ish for speed on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What 50ish for speed on a budget

A few friends and I are getting some planes for a little pylon type fun. We are not competing, but just having fun and are planning to set all the planes up the same with a 50ish engine. So what would be the best for speed without breaking the bank? Something fast but not overly expensive, so Rossi and Jett are out of the question. So what would be a decent engine at a decent price? There are 5 of us getting the same planes and engines, and not all of us have a huge budget as of late. So tell me what engines to go with and to stay away from (like the Magnum 52 with broken crank pins) if we can't find a decent alternative we may try to squeeze the budget and go with the 55AX but getting a jett muffler would just put the price a little over the top.

Thanks
Dauntae
Old 01-04-2009, 03:24 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: What 50ish for speed on a budget

I used to hear some guys at this forum say the Tower Hobbies engines run real good for the price.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daunte:

Some things just require a little pain in the budget. Romping on the guys is something worth some pain to me, but some of us are just not so overly competitive. (flawed) The one engine that would be over the top would be a Jett 60 LX, big bucks, but frankly worth every penney. You can put a Jett or Nelson tuned muffler on a Webra speed 55 along with a 10 X 10 apc and give the Jett a run for the money, honest. I frequently race my Nephew with identical airframes, his Jett 60 LX powered, mine a Webera speed 55. He has a tad on me down the streight, but not enough to make up for the experience overall, yet to win a heat. I have a 60LX but would never lug it down with a 10 X 10, the webra seems to thrive on the thing. One catch, you have to spend the bench time in breaking in the Webra beast, otherwise the reliability will not be there, at least a gallon of 5-10% before you go from a 10 X6 breakin to a 10 X10 scooter. Combat Pigg knows is stuff around here, so if he says you can get a Tower Hobbies engine to run well, you can take that to the bank IMHO. Do you have a old racer in the club that just seems to always have his engine running in front of everyone? Most do. If so, stick your nose in when you can and learn to needle your engine to run at peak in flight. Don't kid yourself, this is a fine art. If you takeoff at maximum, its going to dog off after a few laps, and the well tuned engines will go by. Like everyting else, there seems to be a catch 22 around. Yes, every darned engine from the same manufacturer will have its own personality. Learn to get along with everyone!!!! ENJOY
Old 01-04-2009, 08:56 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
The cheapest are the SK line of two strokes.
They are very good as are The ASP ( same as Kyosho GX ), SC, Magnum, Evolution and every other Chinese engine.
If you want a very good engine that is long lasting and runs on cheap 80/20 fuel than the European MVVS line of engines is something to look for.
Pictures below show the SK .40 and Kyosho GX .40 (same as the ASP .40) and MVVS .
If you chose to race with the .40 engines a 10x6 RAM or Graupner prop are the best.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79432.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1103124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70566.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1103125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67687.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1103126  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....we did a club racing thing with the GMS engines:

GMS http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDXL5&P=SM

....or go with the Tower:

Tower http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towg0146.html

There was a fuel restriction problem with some of the GMS engines that was cured with 5 minutes time
and a drill bit, but they are sweet engines for the price. You can bet that Tower will have parts in stock
for their engines at all times. They both have the same "tuned muffler".

The GMS turns 16,000 right out of the box on 15% Powermaster fuel and a 9-7 Master Airscrew prop.

....flip a coin.

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29923.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1103250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38789.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1103251  
Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dauntae

A few friends and I are getting some planes for a little pylon type fun. We are not competing, but just having fun and are planning to set all the planes up the same with a 50ish engine. So what would be the best for speed without breaking the bank? Something fast but not overly expensive, so Rossi and Jett are out of the question. So what would be a decent engine at a decent price? There are 5 of us getting the same planes and engines, and not all of us have a huge budget as of late. So tell me what engines to go with and to stay away from (like the Magnum 52 with broken crank pins) if we can't find a decent alternative we may try to squeeze the budget and go with the 55AX but getting a jett muffler would just put the price a little over the top.

Thanks
Dauntae
The TT .46 and Ultrathrust muffler is often touted as an affordable and decent performing combo, although yeah it involves an aftermarket exhaust just like your example above. Don't recall what people have quoted as stock performance though.

MJD
Old 01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Dauntae

We decided on the VQ Dego Red for sure, Should be ordering them soon, I would rather a .50 size because this is a lot of plane for the .46 to pull around. It would fly nice I'm sure but I don't think a .46 would give the speed a larger displacement would. Keep the ideas coming and I've been looking into the suggested engines. Where could I go to find the webra speed .55 can't find any in the USA

Dauntae

Specifications:
Wingspan: 58.2 "
Fuselage: 46.8 "
Weight: ~ 5.9 - 6.4 lbs
Old 01-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

.....put these in there. There isn't much difference between a 46 and a 50.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towg0175.html

You can use 12 inch props with this engine. A 12-7 Zinger would work.

FBD.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
still4given

I'll second the Tower 75. Great running engine right out of the box. Also, I haven't had any problems with the rod pins on the Magnum 52. Great bang for the buck IMHO.

Blessings, Terry
Old 01-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

I can give the nod to the Tower 75. There are guy putting them on the NitroPlanes Bobcat 50. (a pusher prop plane)

Tower specs show it is 6oz. heavier than the 46.
Don't bother with the Tower 61 more weight and less power than the Tower 75 for a savings of $10.00

Just make sure that the tower .75 would it fit on plane you want to put it on....
Both the mount to the firewall and don't forget about the CG.

bob

YES, I am a JETT man but do have Tower .46 on the girlfriends traner.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Dauntae

Now you have me thinking LOL It should scream with the .75 Wanted one for the Bobcat but that was when they where on eternal backorder, Now I have to run it by the other guys LOL. We just got another club member interested in this little venture but I'm not sure he is up to the speed flying (He's an older Gentleman) But a great guy and loves flying with our little group, The price is good too without any extra muffler too. Can't wait to talk to the guys now. Let you know what the group decides. Formation flying should be fun. Just have to put some distinctive color schemes to the covering to help tell them apart. As for the prop, It should fit fine, The TH .75 calls for similar prop sizes as a .70 4stroke and that is what it calls for on the Dego. It is a pretty good size for a 40 size plane. I already can see some added strength to the engine box. Just hope not to much tail weight is needed, I hate adding extra to a plane and VQ is known for slightly nose heavy planes.

Dauntae