Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OPS .60 fans

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Blendzall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPS .60 fans

I have a line on a NIB OPS .60 (not .65) RIRE 5 port, just one catch. It's a fan engine with a reed bank inside the backplate, reed induction. I haven't been allowed to pull the backplate to see the crank, but I'm pretty certain there is no disc valve on the back since the inlet is directly in the center of the backplate. The backplate is billet aluminum it appears. The rest of the engine appears to be regular OPS .60, has "60" engraved on the mouning lug. It's in the box with papers and OPS slide vavle carb. I've got a few OPS engines and never saw a reed valve OPS.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OPS .60 fans

ORIGINAL: Blendzall

I have a line on a NIB OPS .60 (not .65) RIRE 5 port, just one catch. It's a fan engine with a reed bank inside the backplate, reed induction. I haven't been allowed to pull the backplate to see the crank, but I'm pretty certain there is no disc valve on the back since the inlet is directly in the center of the backplate. The backplate is billet aluminum it appears. The rest of the engine appears to be regular OPS .60, has "60" engraved on the mouning lug. It's in the box with papers and OPS slide vavle carb. I've got a few OPS engines and never saw a reed valve OPS.
That's interesting.. guess they took a stab at fan engines at one point. What designation did they give to it, or did they call it something different?

Would you happen to have any experience with OPS Speed .15 RC's...? Just got one NIB. I'm not mystified how to run it, just curious if you knew anything about 'em.

As a matter of fact, I was sketching up a XSST (speed "trainer") for an OPS .65 this evening just for giggles. The idea is/was to kind of combine quickie fuse construction with some molded cowl bits to make something similar to typical Euro speed designs, but simpled down a bit to get the hang of that gig, and also to lessen the pain-in-the-arse factor to build. Mebbe 10% airfoil, 500-600 squares, clean as possible, hand launch. If I'm still interested in the idea tomorrow I'll sketch more. It shouldn't be too hard to get such a bird up to 180-185 or so with an engine like that if I do a halfways sensible job of designing it.

MJD
Old 01-07-2009, 11:26 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Are you sure it's not a drum valve? The early versions of most of the drum valve boat motors were all turned aluminum like that. I'd be really surprised if it isn't.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Blendzall

No, I'm familiar with drum valve engines. You can see the reed bank when you look in the hole, that's why I was wishing I could pull the cover to see if the crank had a pin on it.

I can't recall the exact designation, but it looked pretty much just like the RIRE OPS engines I have except for the rear cover.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

ILJ posted something about reed valve OPS's in the RCG engines forum...
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ILJ certainly knows OPS, i will give him that.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

if its speed type ops engine, its either a disc valve or a drum valve, reeds dont handle high rpm very well, a cox reed 049 turnng 20k isnt the same thing at all. if the carb is in the center it is a drum valve engine it its offset then its a disc rotor engine....
Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Blendzall

The carb is in the center, and it's reed valve.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
forsakenrider

I dont understand how you are "not allowed" to pull the back off and show us some pictures! Pull it apart and take some pictures! lets see this!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Blendzall

The carb is in the center, and it's reed valve.
No, no, can't be. Someone who has never seen it says it isn't.

[Just foolin' around LFinney, I don't have a mean bone in my body]

I'd love to see pictures of this oddball! Tear it apart, show us! Okay, here's bribery - if you tear the case gasket(s) I'll mail you spares, howzat?

Or send it to me, and I'll replace them, and.. and.. I'll send it right back, promise. None of the parts would fit any of mine anyhow. Well, except for, um, all of them I guess.

MJD [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970617

There's a pic of one in there...
Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: proptop

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970617

There's a pic of one in there...
I brought a copy over. Neat!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98378.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1106787  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 AM
MJD

See the note at the bottom about rpm range? That ain't no fan engine. Is this designed for - and I am only guessing out loud - boosting torque in the lower rpm range without timing changes?

There are two .60 RCA's listed, the 8000 and 8001. First time I've seen/noticed the 8001 .60 RCA.. 12k peak. Sounds like their version of a low rpm/big prop pattern engine.

MJD
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Blendzall

ORIGINAL: forsakenrider

I dont understand how you are "not allowed" to pull the back off and show us some pictures! Pull it apart and take some pictures! lets see this!
Well, it's not my engine, it's in another town some distance from me, and the owner doesn't wish the backplate to be removed to avoid any possible damage to the gaskets in the event he does eventually sell it.
If it was mine, I'd pop the back off and take a pic.

If the version in the ad pictured is the only reed valve model they made, then it would appear that it's not a high RPM engine. The guy that owns it said the thought it was a fan engine,
it's totally possible he's mistaken (his involvement in the hobby is not RC airplanes).
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

thats a very rare and odd engine, guess you would be on your own to find new reeds etc
Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM
dhal22

according to ILJ all ops speed engines are RIRE engines. on one of his posts lists a photo of a boatload of ops versions, their model numbers, the rpms, horsepower etc. that is where i found out my ops spa/rca .60 is a pattern engine.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:50 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: dhal22

according to ILJ all ops speed engines are RIRE engines. on one of his posts lists a photo of a boatload of ops versions, their model numbers, the rpms, horsepower etc. that is where i found out my ops spa/rca .60 is a pattern engine.
My OPS Speed .15, as OPS labels it, is FISE. So ixnay on that theory, although I think it might be the exception. How "speed" it is I don't know yet, but coincidentally I am heading to my buddy's tonight to work on a new test stand so soon I can start answering these questions for myself.

That .60 is indeed a pattern engine, and a bloody fine one at that. My first one was in a Cass Eng Pulsar bipe that, before retirement, must have weighed 73 pounds. Well, maybe not, but it was a dog when my buddy owned it and had a .61 FSR on it. The OPS hauled it around like crazy. It was pushing 8 pounds IIRC. They just sound so good too, dunno why, but they do. I have a couple of sport .60's lying around, and I am not sure when I will use those again, after I foolishly and irresponsibly snagged two more OPS .60's on eBay.. and I didn't even ask my wife for permission! Well, that's why I have them now I guess.

Does your have an OPS slide valve carb or a Perry?

MJD
Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 PM
dhal22

where is ILJ btw? keep buying the ops engines. maybe you will tire of it when i decide to start accumulating more of them.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:04 PM
MJD

where is ILJ btw? keep buying the ops engines. maybe you will tire of it when i decide to start accumulating more of them.
Dunno, maybe he got tired of reading about prop jets and overpowered trainers?

I think I saw a recent post somewhere else but forget where. I PM'ed him a couple of weeks ago but have not heard back, and we have corresponded before so I don't think he's ignoring it, but who knows, it's me after all. Hopefully he's out there and still speaking to us.

MJD
Old 01-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Blendzall

Something like this, maybe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29888.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1107319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42987.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1107320  
Old 01-10-2009, 06:31 AM
dhal22

that's it or very similar. that may not be a help for you but it might answer the RIRE vs FIRE question.

thx
Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 AM
MJD

that's it or very similar. that may not be a help for you but it might answer the RIRE vs FIRE question.

thx
I think it is safe to say that all of their drum or dics valve engines are timed for boat, car or aircraft "speed" and are ported to suit. That reed valve engine sounds like an experiment in boosting lower-mid rpm torque to me. Whereas, with my .15 as a live example, not all front intake engines they make are "non-speed". Seems there are variations floating around that do not show up on their charts too. I like OPS engines.

MJD