Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Cheap Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 01:53 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Speed?

I haven't ever really had a speed plane and was thinking about getting a Predator to play with. What can you guys tell me about this plane. Good choice or not? Also what kind of speed are you getting with a standard .46 engine ie no jett's etc. What props etc.......throw some info at me.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:50 PM
splatt

Default I fly one

I race in Minnesota with a Predator with a OS 46FX and it goes 120 MPH with a 8.75x8.75 APC pylon prop. I use Hitec 225 servos and a 555 receiver.

The Predator has had lots of opinions from flyers, both good and bad. But hey, for the price, it a good choose for cheap speed.

One problem to mention is the tail incidence. They always seem to be on the negitive side. meaning the leading edge of the tail comes out a little low, so you end up having to use all your down trim to fly level. If you search through the Pylonworld forum there's a procedure to check V-tail incidence.

here's a pic of my red Predator, good luck
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...77&forumid=111]
Old 06-05-2003, 01:50 AM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Default Cheap Speed?

What RPM's are you turning with that prop?
Old 06-05-2003, 04:26 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Cheap Speed?

I race with Splatt using the same engine/plane. With the APC 8 3/4" x 8.75 W prop we see Rpms between 15,000-15,500 peaked.

Make sure to back it off about 500 rpms, especially if you are not using a bladder tank.