Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OPS Speed .15 RCA

Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default OPS Speed .15 RCA

On another thread it was mentioned that all the OPS Speed engines were RIRE, but I know of one exception at least as I snagged it on some auction site last year. I thought I'd throw up a couple of pictures (cough cough) for general interst's sake. The engine chart in the instructions include this one, but I have not seen it on any others I have.

Engine is new, and I haven't bought a 2.5cc pipe yet. I do have a top and side view done for a .15 size Magnum however, which might be a fun little project for this. It has all the right attributes, including side exhaust and a foot or so of plumbing hanging out in the breeze instead of neatly tucked behind the engine. Either that or a scaled down quickie type thing with the pipe down the side or fuse bottom. We'll see. If it was rear exhaust then only the slipperiest of designs would do.

The rod is pretty substantial, and I would imagine this engine can be run upwards of 25k without too much distress, and likely approaching car rpms although I'd guess the timing is more likely designed for 23-25k or so. HP is listed as 0.65 at 23k. The prop on it is just a an MA 7-6 clipped to 6" so it had something on the shaft to admire. Gonna break it in at 22-23k I guess, CP suggested a 7-3 prop, and from some numbers I saw yesterday for the Conquest .15 that seems to be just about the right load to get it there.

I do have an old Doubler kit, but it is not really a very clean design compared to what is possible - I think I am more likely to drop an OS .25 in that, or perhaps the Conquest .15 once I get to sending it out for ABC p/l and a look over. That's in next decade's budget..

MJD

p.s. in picture 4, you can see the divot I removed from my left thumb while tuning my Magnum on New Years Day while visiting another club and demonstrating how to safely start a snotty .50. Note to self - keep fingers farther away from back of prop. Also, next time 5 people gather around an airplane to watch me start it, tell 4 of them to go away and let me relax and think, while the 5th guy can hold the airplane for me in stony, submissive silence. And I get to work the throttle. "..an' I get to tend the throttle, right George?" "Right Lenny, you get to tend the throttle."

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54476.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1109911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57624.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1109912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56694.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1109913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66930.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1109914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am73777.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	1109915  
Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 AM
RocketRob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: OPS Speed .15 RCA

Sweet!

Where did the perry carb come from? Come w/ engine?
So like your motto for OPS is "Collect them all!"[8D]

It would look/run great in a JMGlasscraft Penetrator!

Roger on prop safety! I was recently running up a Taplin Twin at half throttle warming it up w/ a 13x6 apc razor.
Decided to use my left hand to reach around both heads to see if warm before advancing to full throttle, and forgetting my thumb sticks out forward of the rest of my hand - stopped the prop cold! The blood stayed inside the thumb as a blister and I was able to pass it off Monday morning at work as a Hammer/thumb/nail incident. Kinda tough to needle an engine now however......
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

Sweet!

Where did the perry carb come from? Come w/ engine?
So like your motto for OPS is "Collect them all!"[8D]

It would look/run great in a JMGlasscraft Penetrator!

Roger on prop safety! I was recently running up a Taplin Twin at half throttle warming it up w/ a 13x6 apc razor.
Decided to use my left hand to reach around both heads to see if warm before advancing to full throttle, and forgetting my thumb sticks out forward of the rest of my hand - stopped the prop cold! The blood stayed inside the thumb as a blister and I was able to pass it off Monday morning at work as a Hammer/thumb/nail incident. Kinda tough to needle an engine now however......
I didn't even do it and it still hurts.. ouch. I bet it would have been dramatic if you were to lance it at lunch for everyone to see.

The carb came with it, it's not unknown to see some OPS engines come with Perry carbs.

A Penetrator eh.. lemme take a look. What is that, 18" wing span ? Perfect!

MJD
Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never knew OPS had such a wide array of engines. Build a little ME 163!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that ops .15 did very well in goodyear C/L racing back in the day.....
Old 01-13-2009, 03:44 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MJD:

Nice looking little engine. I would follow CP's break in prop advice, guy knows his motor stuff. If it was a Jett, or Neson, the directions would be rpm's, rpm's, rpm's just like all the others. Nice and ritch, but rpm's=little pitch props. Should really scoot in a Sig Wonder, but again no landing gear. Wish my micro-retracts (air) would get here so I can finish a new design for the Jett 35. Have two in my head that need to go to paper, both dependat on havilng landing gear. Our strip is paved and past due for replacement, sides sand and dirt. Anythilng that gets into the dirt must go home for a complete cleaning job, or you can tear out the belly on the asphalt ripples. If these micro retracts can go into a formula wing, should be relatively addaptable for wings and small Q-500 type reductions. After 6 or so years of running, little scooter is still tight on top and runs like new. Gonna outlive me.

Weather here has been cold for California, a might much for us'n older types. The new Tsunami hangs on the ceiling waiting for decent weather. Getting sort of anxious to see if I got her streight and how that Jett 60LX will pull her along. Should do a slow roll the entire length of the 600 foot runway on a string.

Like CP's idea of a ME 163 for the 15.