Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

electrified shrike??

Old 01-22-2009, 07:16 PM
risky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default electrified shrike??

Hi....i picked up a built but never flown 40 sized shrike. I fly strictly electric and when i saw it thought it would make an easy, interesting conversion {lotsa room for batteries in fuse}. It's next on the build list for winter {finishing a cmp extra 300l} and would appreciate any tip's from somebody who has done this convert or anything that I need to watch out for with this plane. Already have a Turnigy35-48 1100kv, tested it on 4 cell 4700mah and it produced 911 watts at 60 amp's with a 10x7 apc . Should be enough to get a 5lb plane in the air........LMAO. So any suggestion's or comment's would be appreciated ....thank's
Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 PM
evan-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: electrified shrike??

That set up will get it in the air and doing around 80-90mph, not exactly blistering but not bad. To get speed you'll need to go to an inrunner to get higher kV and the motor choices are limited. A Neu 1509 or other 36mm long motor will do the trick but it'll be hard to find the right kV to match a 8x7 and 4 or 5S to get the thing to 150 or so....
Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 PM
z06kal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Risky you could use an outrunner designed around higher rpm use like the helicopter series scorpion motors.

Some possible setups is the Scorpion HK 4025-890 which is rated for 2380 watts and 85amps in burst weight 11.5 ounces. Motor's run about $100. You would use this motor on 6S 4000 pack with a 10x10 prop. This would give you 1600 watts and a 130mph pitch speed with 80 amp draw. Just know if you use a controller which maxes at 6S you will need something with a 120 amp rating or the controller will burn. Otherwise just run a HV100 and you will be fine.

If you want to use a hobbycity motor you can use this in runner motor http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4935 which is 7 ounces heavier. You would use this on 5S and it would pull 90 amps and also run roughly 130mph pitch speed on a 10x10. Not sure how reliable this motor will be like that but for $50 I guess you could try it seems some people have success with em at this power level.

I would personally rather do the 6S scorpion setup which should be pretty durable if you fly it in bursts. You can talk to the guys at scorpion motors and they will give you some advice they have excellent support and will give you a fair assessment of what their motors are capable of.

I would not run any less than 1500 watts if you want the plane to start holding true to the title of this forum. When you are talking about speed don't worry about weight. Weight will make it harder to land and launch turning etc but it will not affect straight level top speed much if anything.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try this ... not sure if its too big for the Shrike but I ran this on 5S and its great. DualSky 4260-5 680KV. Was turning a 12x10 and hauling my SkyRaider Mach II like no one's business. I think a better prop on that motor with 5S is a 10x10. You can expect about 10,000 RPM @ 50A. Or else the DS 4250-6 840KV with an 8x8 and expect 13,000 RPM @ 45A. The DualSky motorcalc is pretty accurate. That sort of set up will get you close to 100 mph.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
z06kal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Try this ... not sure if its too big for the Shrike but I ran this on 5S and its great. DualSky 4260-5 680KV. Was turning a 12x10 and hauling my SkyRaider Mach II like no one's business. I think a better prop on that motor with 5S is a 10x10. You can expect about 10,000 RPM @ 50A. Or else the DS 4250-6 840KV with an 8x8 and expect 13,000 RPM @ 45A. The DualSky motorcalc is pretty accurate. That sort of set up will get you close to 100 mph.
This would only be about a 90mph setup.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 AM
risky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guy's.......thank's for the replies and input. I agree that the setup i have will fly the plane but only get it to about 90 mph. I've got a 105 mph funjet and it's starting to feel calm , so i was hoping to get the shrike a little quicker. Like you have said my biggest prob is the bigger a motor is, the less the kv is. I've got an e-mail out to a place called lightflight ,they carry a motor line called ARC, maybe they can help with my dilemma. Looked at neu motors but I think i would need a second mortgage to be able to afford one. i think i'm going to build it with the power setup i have until i can find something more suitable. Does anybody fly one of these planes?? any quirk's, is the COG and suggested throw's in the manual accurate?? Keep the suggestion's coming ........thank's ....Adrian
Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 AM
evan-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No quirks, easy to build...