Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

How fast is extreme?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

How fast is extreme?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is extreme?

Just curious, how fast does a plane have to be to be considered extreme.

Tim
Old 12-05-2009, 10:15 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How fast is extreme?

It's all relative.
A Cub with a Nelson is extreme but a Patriot or F-20 with a .46LA is not.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way faster than most of the stuff that gets discussed here. [8D]

In truth, extreme speed is really a phrase intended for true all out speed efforts such as the Speedcup efforts and the like. But really, anything that represents a madman's effort to make something go way fasster than it was intended will usually meet with approval.

If you want some kind of reference, to raise an eyebrow around here you need to think 150 is a mediocre day.

MJD
Old 12-05-2009, 12:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I asked RCU to update the subheading for this forum. So far no response.

I think this forum is advancing with the help of some onlookers.

Extreme speed is relative to the size of the model and the experience level of the witnesses.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:36 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Extreme speed is relative to the size of the model and the experience level of the witnesses.

Well said.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:07 PM
vicman

Yep,
I seem to remember a fine day a few years back and watching a little yeller mustang being hauled around by a FORA as being one of the more extreme speed flights I've seen and it was most likely around a buck.[8D]
Then I've seen Mac Hodges 20' bomber fly about 115 and think "oh look there goes a rather large plane lumbering down the line."
Fly a 1/2a QuickShot 90 mph and a Magnum 160 and the thrill or level of extremeism is about the same for pilot and onlooker as well.
Taking your speed a few notches past what the LHS would recomend is were exteme starts.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:34 PM
combatpigg

If you're flying 1/2A C/L on 35 foot lines, 70 mph will seem pretty extreme. Me and a friend spent a lot of time in training to get to the point where we could fly out a whole oz of fuel without crashing or falling down. It took some work.
I think it would do all RC Speedaholics some good to go see how C/L speed is done. There are yearly contests in most large areas. There is much that can be learned. On the first trip to watch, the main lesson will be what the definition of what "really fast", really is. This should help to raise your expectations.
Same goes for going out to watch AMA pylon racing in the "Nelson classes".....planes that stay pretty close to knife edge the whole race at 160 to 190 mph.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
ProBroJoe

Way faster than most of the stuff that gets discussed here.
Nothing personal Mike, but isn't that a bit snobbish? I think the general attitude of this forum is changing. Is that the idea here, to be an elite group that only runs Jetts, Nelsons, OPS, Piccos and the like? What ever happened to:

"Do you love fast airplanes ? Do you strive to make that
plane...."just a little faster" ? Do you over-power your
planes ? Do you peak that motor to the Max.? Have you
ever scraped or sanded the numbers off your prop, so
your buddies can't be exactly sure what prop your running?

If you want to have a little fun, join in. The "need for speed"
spans the Globe. We only need to promise.... not to argue
about our equiptment choices....or give out speed secrets
to anyone who lives within a 500 mile radius of your field" ?

Again, not to sound confrontational, but I think a true clarification is needed. If the forum is evolving, that's OK. I understand how technology changes and it becomes easier to accomplish certain benchmarks, but speed still costs money. I guess those of us who can't afford to do more than 150, will start a new forum like, Mediocre Speed Prop Planes.

-Joe
Old 12-05-2009, 04:02 PM
combatpigg

Well, to be honest, I was disappointed when I first stumbled upon this forum. I expected to see more than what I first saw. Especially since it lives in the shadows of the pylon racing forum for the most part. Generally speaking, all of those planes are faster than 90% of what this forum has to show for itself.
I think this forum SHOULD be faster, it should be more .....elite? I hate to use that term to displace someone who wants to show off a 120 mph Sig Wonder, but I'm glad to see the interest level in extreme speed picking up around here.
I am / was as bored / disappointed with this forum for awhile...MJD and I exchanged thoughts about this and decided that the only thing to do about it was / is DOING something about it...just pick up the pace to suit our ambitions.
To be perfectly honest and to lay my faults out on the table, I admit to rolling my eyes at some of this stuff...much like a "beer snob" would roll his eyes at hearing me raving about Henry Weinhards being a fine beer....

You know what I love....it's hearing about those "fastest for the cheapest" combos. I'm as impressed with that stuff as the "cubic dollar" efforts.
Joe, I understand what you're saying but in actual practice the guys who only come here to show off anything remotely related to speed almost always get a warm welcome, so encouragement and sometimes some advice whether they want it or not.......
Old 12-05-2009, 04:38 PM
MJD

Well, it could be taken that way, but really it was intended as a tongue-in-cheek dig at the difference between building purpose-designed speed aircraft and overpowering sport airplanes. It IS all relative, as CP and others have inferred.

Fact is, as CP said as well, the way to up the ante is to just do it. And tell people you are doing it. Personally, I think there is a growing interest in all out speed flying, and the only way to foster that is to be part of the participant base, to "do it". And to demonstrate whenever possible what kind of performance can really be had, and on a budget too. I look forward to the time there is a bona fide F3S event (IC...) in NA somewhere.

Kudos to anyone who feels the bug and drops a 25FSR in Shrike .10, or whatever. It's all good. On the other side of that, jamming big engines in run of the mill racer lookalike GP ARF's may be good fun and all that, but it's not "extreme", and strictly personally it doesn't interest me, at least until the part where the engine rips the nose off the aircraft. But it's one way to get the rush, and this is the place to talk about it, esp. since the soft drugs often lead to the hard stuff anyway and we can only hope the addiction strikes.

It gets to the point where you get disappointed if there isn't a bit of raw terror at every launch.. but really, that's what makes your early flying exploits so exciting too. Ya just gotta keep getting stronger stuff. But seriously, it is a cool technical challenge and in the process you can learn a whole lotta stuff that can be applied elsewhere. And I've hardly scratched the surface.

MJD

Old 12-05-2009, 05:35 PM
vicman

I remember the first few times I flew a Kangke F-20. Good for a buck but not much more. I was hands down the fastest dude at the field that day and had trouble working all the next week in anticipation of getting out the next weekend. Extreme? Not by my standards today from 8 years ago but still worth recognizing for the people wanting to go fast. Am I impressed by someone mounting a .91FX or similar decent engine on the ARF dejour not really, not even with the new retro racers sporting Jetts, nor do I care to read about some guy bragging about a .46 on a Q500 plane. Those feats are like falling off a log. However anytime someone breaks the 140 mark (honestly) with a .40 size model they are doing pretty good at pushing the limits.

You don't see me posting too many of my quickies often unless I've had a great day here in the extreme speed prop forums, they belong in the racing side. Primarily because those guys are focused on meeting the rules and the ESP guys are about just going faster, to heck with rules. I'm comfortable with both crowds.

Action is the key here. There is a core of us who have posted here for years and shown that we are trying hard to do something different and I really feel the random people enjoy our banter and ideas. I don't think we need to be the least bit eliteist about going fast, it breeds isolation.

I'm going back to work on a 428 plane now.[8D]
Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Wonder

Thanks for all the replies.
I understand the relative to size thing.
I did not mean to start an argument about what the forum is for, just curious if you had to hit some magic number to be extreme.
I normally fly 40 size sport planes (4*40, GP Corsair, Spacewalker, Seamaster) then I pop in here now and again and take a look just to see what is fast.

Thanks again,

Tim
Old 12-05-2009, 06:15 PM
mk1spitfire

Do you want to fly faster?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:50 PM
daven

I'm the token pylon guy that use to help moderate this forum. I mostly lurk, but try to help the guys that are new to playing with Nelsons and the like.

Have a couple projects partially started and the horses for a couple I have in my head. Hope to pursue this extreme speed thing when I get tired of racing.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:59 PM
ProBroJoe

...and I'm not trying to stir up the sh*t here either, I just needed to know what the rules are around here. (I certainly didn't want to embarrass myself, with tales of my exploits, where they didn't belong.)

I remember the first few times I flew a Kangke F-20.
I don't know how the Kangke compares to the Phoenix, but I was bored with mine after the first flight. (Hence my recent lurking here.) Throwing a pipe and a 10x7 on the ST .45 kicked it up a notch, but still, it's no where near anything that makes me weak in the knees. It is pretty cool doing easy-breezy knife edge passes down the runway at 100 MPH, 10' off the deck, but all in all, I'm thinking I shoulda got a something more purpose-built for the same $$$.

It gets to the point where you get disappointed is there isn't a bit of raw terror at every launch.
Yep, I know that disappointment well.

I understand the need for a place to keep the discussion here pure and goal oriented, I think it just needed said.

All the best guys,

-Joe
Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM
MJD

It's all cool, PBJ, your comment was well taken and right on point and the discussion is about as on topic as you can get around here! There is no need to be snobbish, there's enough of that at the club fields. In the end, extreme is what rattles your rafters.

If somebody posted their L'il Wizard with an Olympic .15 on here, I'd think it was one of the coolest posts in ages.

I do think more people should go nuts and fly fast stuff.

MJD
Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 PM
combatpigg

Not to argue, but I don't see it as arguing.

Coming to a consensus on what Extreme Speed should mean at this forum? Not possible, no sense in arguing that.

Is 90 mph at 14,500 with a 10x6 prop extreme? This forum has hosted many of those, usually without any discouraging words.

What's important is the exchange of ideas and information. Without this forum I'd never would have imagined what's possible and been able to assemble all the resources for building suppliers, building techniques, speed equipment, set up help, etc.

The difference in dollars between putting together a project that goes 100 mph and one that does 150 isn't that much. I boils down to doing a little research here for a combo that works and finding a good deal at the auction sites on a NIB engine that is capable of such.

Dave, looking forward to having you "dive in" to some extreme speed projects...I'm sure you'll up the ante around here a little, light a fire or 2 ..... especially with that slacker, Vicman.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Wonder

Do I want to fly faster???

I don't know. Thought about it a couple times but never did.
If I do it will only be somewhat faster not extreme.
I was going to buy a Wild Wiz one time, but got a good deal on a Magic and there went my engine.
Went to the hobby store to buy a Hanger 9 Sundowner and came home with a Spacewalker.
I am now thinking about either a GP Viper or a ParkZone F27c Stryker.
Don't consider any of those extreme, just fast.
I like to mix it up with variety, even built a couple SPADS.
Just bought a couple helis so I wont be buying any thing else soon.
Maybe next spring.

Tim
Old 12-05-2009, 07:40 PM
mk1spitfire

Whats extreme to one is not always to another,But if you think its pushing your flying limits and its intense then it might be for you.

Sounds like you like variety in your models which is great, you can appreciate each one.

Only you now how fast you want to go. Often with us speed freaks,being satisfied is breaking a personal best and so it goes on.
remember when drag equal thrust you wont go any faster.!!

Im sure you reach a point where you still appreciate the speed and have a good flight.

30-100 is fast enough for some,100-150 is the next step and anything over that is another experience.

Personally I like to feel the adrenaline flow from a good speed. Having a physical effect is part of the buzz.

At the end of the day,speed is just a number but its what you feel comftable with.

All I know its alot of fun and this forum is place to share those moments and learn to build a faster machine!!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM
parente

Yes I very much would like to fly way faster like 150-180 mph. Where can I buy one of those Magnum jets. I have a nice Jett just waiting to be mounted
Old 12-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Sessholvlaru

If you get antsy right before you start the motor, and your heart races while you fly it, I consider it extreme. When the kids watching you hold their ears when the Nelson fires, that's cool too.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Wiggy

Thanks to this forum I have mounted my FIRE Jett 46 on a Diamond Dust. This engine has been in a box for several years. I was told by Jeff Gilbert that the "best" setup for a Dust was a 32 class engine and I always stayed with that. I use a mousse can exhuast with an APC 8X8 prop for about 140 mph. This used to feel "extreme" when I first flew it. Now it is routine. Not boring just routine. I have decided to step it up after reading what MJD is doing with his Demon. Since this is a stock dust with no cowl etc I do not expect a great speed increase but I will find out.

Jeff was into doing violent maneuvers at full throttle with his dust and they are amazing at doing those 90 degree turns.

What I have learned from you real "extreme speed" guys is how little I really know about speed planes.

Thanks for all this information.

Wiggy
Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 PM
mk1spitfire

I dont know where to buy magnums in usa.

A delta, like the screamon deamon could be to your liking too.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

If you get antsy right before you start the motor, and your heart races while you fly it, I consider it extreme. When the kids watching you hold their ears when the Nelson fires, that's cool too.
Your heart racing the same rpm as the prop would be extreme
Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 PM
hairy46

going from marriage to devorce for me is extreme fast! I think she made a call to the lawyer a week before the wedding!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.