Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Plan for model like Great Planes Patriot XL

Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 AM
DominicM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Plan for model like Great Planes Patriot XL

Living on a small island the choices of high speed prop model are a little limited. I'm looking for a plan for a high speed model that must be very similar to the Patriot XL or Magnum. Any help would be really appreciated. Cheers.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Plan for model like Great Planes Patriot XL

I don't have one to offer, but I do think it would be good to have an "open source" planform similar to the patriot we could all enjoy. If we could gather together the right information like airfoil etc. (all the particulars) it is easy enough to design aircraft in google sketch up. I'm in to do whatever I can to pitch in if there are enough interested. I know we have the collective know how to do it.

If so I'll propose something that will accommodate .60-.90 engines.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 PM
DominicM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My design skills are worse than my building skills. And my building skills are not great. I was planning on asking a friend to laser cut parts with his new machine. But agree, having a plan of an 'open source' model like the Pheonix would be great.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:19 PM
brjensen71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Would there be a market for a kit or even an ARC ( Almost Ready to Cover ) of a Patriot style plane?

I will soon be retiring from my engineering job 25 yrs earlier than planned. If I stay retired for long, I was toying with the idea of kitting a plane similar to the patriot.

I have no delusions of grandeur that this would be of profitable venture, but if I could break even it would be a fun experience.

I was thinking similar to the Patriot, with a smaller wing and cleaner design.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 PM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

us classic pattern flyers have dozens upon dozens of plans available for most classic pattern planes. we trade 'em like baseball cards. shouldn't be to hard to do in this forum either.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:06 AM
AGR413

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think there is a constant low level demand for these planes. My interpretation is the patriot is a good all around plane that is also easy to squeeze some speed out of. I think that nich will always be there.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have both the Patriot XL and the Cermark F16 fitted at one point or another with similar power plants Jett90 or OS91/jettstream tuned muffler. Both have very similar flight characteristics and speed envelope. But I like my F16 better because of warbird looks. Only difference is that the patriot has flaps, can come in slower for landing and take off quicker off grass runway. Anyway, there are plenty of folks like me that like the F16 more, as evident by the crowd around the F16 every time I bring it out. One can get that ARF complete with air retracts for $400. Tough to beat. That's my 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys, if you're open to an electric powered option then take a look here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=991659&pp=50

I built the prototype FireStorm pattern ship for [link]http://www.mountainmodels.com[/link]. I've always loved pattern type planes like the Kobra, Kougar, Patriot etc and am starting to collect these old kits. I like them so much that I basically copied the Kobra covering scheme on this plane and several others. The Patriot kits seem to be selling for a premium right now on e-bay so I'll have to wait to find a bargain. (I hope!)

On a very basic power package I was able to read 85 mph in straight and level flight with the FireStorm on my EagleTree data logger. The plane is certainly capable of handling much more power and speed. I would think 100 mph would come easy. Brian wanted me to build this prototype as a typical buyer would though. After he releases the kit I plan to up the ante to 800+ watts in my plane!

The kit is designed for fixed trike gear, fixed tail dragger or mechanical tail dragger retracts. I built the prototype with retracts. I also used the Hyperion Servo-Slow to slow the gear to 3 seconds up and down speed.

Brian is making minor changes to the design based on my build yet still hopes to have it ready for release by the end of February. If you're interested in the plane then go to the website and use the contact link to bug him like crazy to get it ready to go!

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58530.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1140410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95329.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1140411