Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Power Plant for Falcon 120

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Power Plant for Falcon 120

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
chemistrydude
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Plant for Falcon 120

Hello Everyone,

Just got my Falcon 120 yesterday and looking forward to starting the build this weekend. Can't really afford the turbine just yet (espescially in this economy), but am curious about a prop engine or EDF to put in it. I'm putting in retracts so there's a little weight thing to consider. Any suggestions or experience out there? Any help is always appreciated....

Thanks,
Old 02-07-2009, 01:35 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Power Plant for Falcon 120

I have flown one with an os 120 2s. It had a mas 3 bladed pusher prop (do not know size or pitch). I would say this is the minimum engine size you want to use. The owner had problems with using retracts on our thick grass field so he opted for fixed gear. He also builds things solid (ie heavy). He builds it so it wont fly apart. I bet it weighs 2lbs more than the average Falcon. So I think he could use some more power, but he seems happy with it. It can still do all the basic sport aerobatics (loops, rolls, hammerheads, inverted, etc..).

It can take off in about 30 ft with full flaps. It takes a circuit to get up to full speed (I'm guessing around 80-90 mph in a shallow dive), then it grooves pretty good. The os really revvs, so I am guessing he could use more pitch (and maybe get away with a 0.5 inch diameter more prop). Vertical is o.k., not ballistic by any means, but it may go 100 ft before it runs out of poop. I did have to put it in a shallow dive to get a decent loop (50ft circumference) out of it. It lands like a trainer with flaps deployed.

I am considering one, especially since they are on sale, (will have to hide it from my wife). I have a ys 140 (or os 160) to put on it (with a 2 bladed apc pusher prop, if I can find the one I want). I will definitely use retracts. I bet you can have a lot of fun with more power, but it still wont compete with the turbine ones...
Old 02-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

96 pages in the turbine forum:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5913492/tm.htm

TAMJETS has EDF for the Yellow Stingray:
http://www.tamjets.com/

Also there is a man in texas thats makes replacement canopy.

Mark (Moki) 1.80 and Magnum 1.80 4-stroke engines on sale at:
WWW.HOBBYPEOPLE.NET

THERE HAVE BEEN ISSUES WITH TAIL BOOMS / MOUNTS. READ UP PLEASE.

Me I bought Used Artes Super Bee.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
chemistrydude

Thanks Wildnloose,
Good info. I've spent the day getting everything in order to purchase (retracts, servos, motor, hardware). Most of the time was spent on the power plant. I ran simulations on all kinds of electric set-ups, and have been reading, reading, reading. I'm building the Falcon 120 with my other project in mind (Ziroli F9F Panther) and plan to strip the Falcon at some point. That said: I've pretty much decided on an OS91 VR DF set-up with a Ramtec fan unit. I looked at a lot of vids and it looks like the best power plant for the Falcon is between a DF unit and a turbine, with the turbine winning hands down. But like a lot of us, I can't really swing the turbine at the moment so I'll probably go with the DF set up just to get it in the air.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 PM
chemistrydude

Thanks Crazy4Flight,
That to is some good information. However, I clicked on the link you provided to view the TJ100 powered Tamjets Yellow Stingray, but I don't see a vid there for that jet. I went to YouTube 'cause you sparked some interest with that, but haven't found anything yet. I must confess though, after all the research, I had not considered that unit. It does look powerful, so I'm gonna check a little further and check the possibilities. Please let me know if you happen to find a vid of the Yellow Stingray using the TJ100. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chemistrydude,

I do not have the Tamjet EDF unit, nor can I comment on it. I just kept it on file for a stingray project in the basement.

What I do know, from talking to BobV of BVM at the Toledo show 2 years ago, is you can expect 250-300 cycles (flights) on a 10s lipo.

C4F