Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Flying low and fast

Old 06-09-2003, 02:09 AM
AeroD79
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying low and fast

When I was told not to fly over the runaway fast and low. I lost interest in my speed planes. Low and fast is the major thrill factor for me. Majority of fields in my area dont allow this. The one that I fly now at El Toro,....I reminded myself to follow the rules and stay within the limits. But....I saw other guy flying so fast, low and over the runway by himself. That I feel that this is ridiculous that he can and no one complained and I feel that I cant, so I asked the eldest guy in the field at that same day. He said that I can do that If im the only plane in the air.

A week later there was a field marshal on the field I wanted to double check with him since he he has that tag on his cap..he said "No exceptions you cant its only for Take off and Landing" I got to the point that im mad and thinking "what's the point for me flying fast" so I only got to fly my fast plane for adjustments and only to have fun with my 3d plane.

Have you guys gotten warnings about not flying fast and low and what have you guys done to continue your interest in speed. Thank you for the comments.

THe last time that I had my fun on flying fast was at Las Vegas 4-5weeks ago. Unfornately I dont live there and its too hot to fly out there rightnow this season
Old 06-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Low passes

I`ve been pretty lucky so far haven`t been yelled at yet. I try to do my 2ft. speed passes when no one else is up. Their usually watching to see if I`m going to put it in, haven`t made their day yet.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default yup

I got "talked to" about being too low and too fast-

And I was the only one flying!

The helis hover 12" above the runway and go up and down when planes are in the pattern and no-one says word-1

I just laugh it off until they leave then fly as low as I would like...

I still love speed planes and I fly D/F there when noones around-

The next week I was "too-loud" ( different plane..)- Just by ear they complained... Later I tested and I was @ 104 DB's at 10' (So they were right..)

Frustrating, but noone can take my need for speed!

james
Old 06-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Blue Skyy
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Problems? Not really,

I have never been asked to stop flying low and fast. I was once asked during a major event to fly a little further out from the crowd rather than right down the runway, and I can see that. But as you well know if you want the sensation of high speed nothing does it like close in and low. I fly at 8-9 large events per year often as a show of high speed prop flying. My planes are also very loud, especially since all mine run nitro pipes. (Especially with the .91 fan engines) Never been asked to shut down due to the noise level. In fact at most places I fly, I'm asked to get up there and do another run because the people at the show want to see some extreme speed. I've flown where there were as many as 2,000 people in attendance and was not asked to park it.

I don't get why you should be told to stop flying. You pay your dues like everyone else and have just as much right to fly the way you want as anyother pilot. Granted, I don't usually start up where the other pilots are because my planes are loud, and I'm sure that helps. Still it's just another segment of model aviation.

I flew high speed at the "Internet Fly In" near Indianapolis, Indiana this past weekend with no problems at all. One of the planes I brought was a Delta with a .91 fan engine on it and because there were so many people there, I didn't fly it due to safety reasons. For me Deltas are a lot harder to see than conventional airframes, but I'm not going to risk anyone getting hurt just so the crowd can see something fly over 200mph! The plane I did fly, ran a GPS of 191mph with an OS .91 VR-DF.

Experience? Well most of you probably have more than I. I flew my first R/C plane 7 years ago.

Have another event to fly on the 22nd of June and it will be low, fast and loud!

Blue Skyy
Old 06-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

we fly fast low and close here, not may moans but only fast planes up at the time, look at my sites videos to see just how close sometimes

we did goto another club that use a old RAF base, despite flying still far awayish ( far side of the runway ) as guests we got warned and told not to go near the full size gliders either. the club mebers then proceded to fly from the back of the pits, towards the gliders and the pits side of the runway. one rule for some,.........
Old 06-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In our country the aviation rules state that radio controlled model airplanes are not allowed to fly higher than 300 ft... So that just means I have to fly low... hehe...

But seriously, what is that rule all about? You're not allowed to fly low? How do you guys have pylon races?

I can understand there are rules about not flying close to the pits, where the crowd is, but if you're a hundred feet away from the pits, flying in line with the pits, not straight at it of course, I really don't see what the problem is.
And I even could understand it if there were like 10 planes in the air, because then there always someone landing or taking off...

At our club, on busy days, we sometimes get some sort of line up, where everybody is flying a large circle in the same direction, doing low passes over the field... with a plane passing over the field like every 4 or 5 seconds...cool...
Of course, in that case, the nut who tries to fly in the opposite direction gets yelled at by the others

Accidents will continue to happen at our model airplane fields. Air collisions and stuff are part of the hobby IMO. You can't "rule out" accidents. If you try that, you might as well call it quits...
Old 06-15-2003, 04:03 AM
Jackjet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Flying low and fast

Originally posted by AeroD79
When I was told not to fly over the runaway fast and low. I lost interest in my speed planes. Low and fast is the major thrill factor for me. Majority of fields in my area dont allow this. The one that I fly now at El Toro,....I reminded myself to follow the rules and stay within the limits. But....I saw other guy flying so fast, low and over the runway by himself. That I feel that this is ridiculous that he can and no one complained and I feel that I cant, so I asked the eldest guy in the field at that same day. He said that I can do that If im the only plane in the air.

A week later there was a field marshal on the field I wanted to double check with him since he he has that tag on his cap..he said "No exceptions you cant its only for Take off and Landing" I got to the point that im mad and thinking "what's the point for me flying fast" so I only got to fly my fast plane for adjustments and only to have fun with my 3d plane.

Have you guys gotten warnings about not flying fast and low and what have you guys done to continue your interest in speed. Thank you for the comments.

THe last time that I had my fun on flying fast was at Las Vegas 4-5weeks ago. Unfornately I dont live there and its too hot to fly out there rightnow this season
AeroD79,
just come on out here to Rabbit Dry Lake- Lucerne,Ca -about 90 miles north of El Toro - you can fly as low and as fast as you want to. No one will ***** about it.

Jackjet
Old 06-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our flying field is a AMA design top of the line owned by the ciity. We do have seven basic rules which we try to enforce. When someone just wont listen, we call the police and get themout of here.
A few of the rules are "No aerobatics over the runway area." Runway is for take offs and landings. We are also very verbal. Calling out takeoffs and landings. High Speed passes are dealt with as long as it is not 2 inches from my nose.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Scott Godbee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just recently got bitten by the speed bug. I have only been flying now for about 8 months, and was getting bored with flying in circles and general aerobatics. I have enough property at my home that I can fly anytime I wish, and I am constantly tinkering with my low wing trainer to squeeze the most speed out of it that I can. With each mod that I make, i.e. tri gear to tail dragger, tuned pipe,etc. I tend to want to show out when I go to the field. I get a lot of "How in the hell did you get that trainer to go so fast?" And also, "Why in the hell would you want to make that trainer go so fast? Why not just buy a racer?" Anyway, My point is that it just seems logical that I only want to fly like a maniac when everyone is safely in the pits, and I get heckled, mostly by the old timers that I am a sissy for not peeling the stripe off the runway on my passes. Which is their way of trying to get me to do something stupid so they can see me crack up. Then when I bring it in, then all the "reserved" folks return to fill the skies with their cubs and caps. The moral of this story is that there is an unwritten understanding between all of us, that you keep a lid on the horse play until the time is right. If I or any of the other speed demons were to cut loose while students or slow fliers had the field, the antics would come to a screeching halt. Maybe you could get other members who were into speed to sit down with you to talk to the officers and senior slow fliers to allocate you time to fly fast, or race or what ever you might want to do. Like I said, when myself and the other guys are out there burning up the sky, its almost like a show for the other members to watch and enjoy too. If your club can't make exceptions for everybody, then why have a club?

For what its worth,

Scott
Old 06-19-2003, 09:37 PM
mpriestley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I know your pain, I flew as a guest at El Toro and I realized that I am in a hobbie to have fun and not to have people *****ing at me for doing so.

I absolutley believe in safe flying. but at my field safe flying includes inverted full spead down the run way passes, I do this on a weekly basis to keep me up on my skills.. (I landed inverted 2 weeks ago, it is better to land on the wheels.)

Here is the good news I live right around the corner from El Toro and you dont have to fly there. I am a member of a field with in 20 min. of the El Toro field and we do not like people that do not want to have fun.

Again we believe in a safe flying environment but we know how to balance that with some balls to the wall low passes!

Got to love it!!!!!!!!!

email me if you want club information. (may not be as easy to get to but we have a full set of facilities.

michaelpriestley@mridp.com
Old 06-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Jackjet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default El Toro

[Again we believe in a safe flying environment but we know how to balance that with some balls to the wall low passes!

What I do not understand about El Toro is as far as I know the main runways are closed to most full size aircraft - WHY can't the R/C pilots use the MAIN runways ???? Another reason why I like the dry lakebeds out here in the desert.

Jackjet
Old 06-20-2003, 01:10 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default low and fast

I'm the president of our club in Lafayette Louisiana, and also a CD, we have a set of rules that are strictly enforced, one being no high speed passes down the runway, but as a compromise, we allow aerobatics, full throttle runs and the like on the outside edge of the runway... I'm the only turbine flyer at my field and out of courtesy its an unspoken ritual to just allow me in the air with the turbines, and I'm allowed to do some over the runway stuff since I'm the only one up there at the time.. so, its my opinion that there is a happy medium in being safe and also having fun..

Safety should always be on everyones list of priorities, but if theres no fun in the sport, whats the use?

I use flying as a stress reliever, and after a stressful week I go out to fly, if I were policed to a point that all that was allowed was flying in the pattern and going around in big circles all day long, I'd have to take up skydiving, or buy a cub..

I think clubs should think safety first, not everyone is aware of this, but in the event of an accident, your homeowners policy is the primary insurer, then AMA picks up the slack, If you dont own a home, then AMA is primary, but if you were blatently breaking the basic AMA guideliness for safety, you are S.O.O.L.

You could theoretically not be covered, at which point a personal injury shark/attorney could have a hay day with all of the other club members and use the approach that the club did not enforce standard rules, hence an accident.. not a happy scenario...

As I said, theres a fine line between being safe and having fun... clubs just have to decide where that line should be drawn...
thats when club meetings and voting comes in..

but thats just my thoughts on the matter...
Old 06-20-2003, 01:52 AM
Blue Skyy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flying a turbine is a stress release? Wow you live a lot different than me. The ever present possibility of losing a jet would be pretty dang high. Do you work on the bomb squad for a living?

Just kidding,

Blue Skyy
Old 06-20-2003, 01:59 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default stress

does sound a bit out of the norm doesn't it? I guess its the same rush one would get from riding a bull in a rodeo or cliff diving I guess...
Old 06-20-2003, 04:36 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

People were ragging on me in my club for low and fast over the runway, until I told them, ok fine, I won't do low and fast, but the heli's have to fly normal circuits, and the slow flyers stay away from the runway, and the fun fly 3D stuff stays off in the field.

No touch and go's, and no slow photo flyby's.

Now everything is kewl, nobody minds, as long as you call your passes first, don't just surprise them, and that is common courtesy