Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Dago Red vs 50"SD

Old 02-21-2009, 08:24 AM
nesikachad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dago Red vs 50"SD

Ok, a buddy bought the Dago Red Mustang and is stuffing a GMS 76 into it. He's thinking an 11X8 prop

I have a 50" Sundowner with a Jett60. Right now I radar at 120+ in level flight but that is with a 9X8 prop and the engine is still a bit fresh with only five/six flights on it and two tanks of fuel in the garage. I've been told to back off to a 9X6 so the motor will unwind a bit more. She tachs at about 15,500 on the ground with the 9X8. I've put a lot of work into this thing with baffled front end, pull pull, and internal elevator linkages. My control linkages are about as petite and clean as I can make them everywhere (no nuts, soldered everything in place after setting the surfaces) I sealed all my hinges and my muffler relief up front is about as tight as a guy can get it. (that only took all damn day to do!) I'm using Funtana 90 wheel pants cause the tail ends are sleeker and the orange is a perfect match (they should have used these instead of the ones it came with IMO)

The big question. Who's gonna kick who's behind? I have well over a thousand bucks in this dern thing and if I get smoked by an ultra ghetto $350 dollar set up I'm gonna be seriously irked!

I think he might actually have me though. (bastage!)

What do you think guys?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 AM
still4given

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dago Red vs 50"SD

You should have the edge. You might try a 10x6 prop just for kicks and giggles. 15,600 sounds a little low to me. Which Dago Red does he have? World Models, VQ? I doubt he will see 120. Is he running a pipe?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 PM
YUKONFLYR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't think the Dago Mustang will be that speedy with a .76 , Now if your buddy shoehorned a large YS in that Dago, then look out[X(], he just might be a contender
Old 02-22-2009, 12:19 PM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A clubmember at our field has a ys 1.10 on his dago. If your friend had that setup than I would be worried. Another guy had a sundowner with a 91 fx. I believe a 12x8 apc. It was just a bit slower than the dago with the ys but plenty fast. It was diffinitley faster than my SD with a 0s 75ax.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
nesikachad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

He has the World Models one with the retracts. I guess its a F. glass fuse.

I'm in Baghdad right now so I haven't seen it. I do have a recently freshened up YS110. I was seriously thinking about stuffing it in one of these and just raising all kinds of hell with it. The weight doesn't kill it though?? I figured it'd be a tank.

Hmmmmm......

I've got 21 days to ponder it. (3 weeks till I'm home for GOOD!)
Old 02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
nesikachad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: still4given

You should have the edge. You might try a 10x6 prop just for kicks and giggles. 15,600 sounds a little low to me. Which Dago Red does he have? World Models, VQ? I doubt he will see 120. Is he running a pipe?

I had a 10X7 on it originally during break in on the bench and the first flight just so it'd get airborne a bit quicker. Then went to the 9X8. According to Bob, Dubb jett got the best speed from a 9X6 and/or 9X7. He said it's all about the RPM with this engine. It's my first one if it's kind so I'm still a bit chicken when it comes to letting it tach up to the moon. I keep running it a bit on the fat side. I let it go lean once and cooked a plug when I first flew it. Still seems to run fine though.

It's had a nice blue contrail behind it ever since that day. does look cool with an aluminum "lakewood pipe" exiting out the bottom of the fuse though.

Cool stuff!

My buddy isn't going to be happy if he reads this thread and sees no one rooting for him. He's liable to pull the 140YS out of his 120AW yak and stuff that in there!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
yfz450106

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nesikachad: My quicke 500 is going to blow the doors off both of yours and Brents planes. LOL
Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
chuck993

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a YS110 in an Edge and a brand new 91FX I need to stuff into something, I would think the 91FX would be faster, I love the YS, but why is this faster than the 2 stroke?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 PM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I seen it with my own eyes. I cant remember what prop they were using on the 1.10 it was something with a 12 or 14 pitch. Ill ask them next time I see them. A 91fx will not turn that kind of prop. The guy with a 91 was using a 12x8 apc. It was close.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The YS110 will turn a 13x12 I believe, one of those pattern props at about 9K RPM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nesikachad

Ok, a buddy bought the Dago Red Mustang and is stuffing a GMS 76 into it. He's thinking an 11X8 prop

I have a 50" Sundowner with a Jett60. Right now I radar at 120+ in level flight but that is with a 9X8 prop and the engine is still a bit fresh with only five/six flights on it and two tanks of fuel in the garage. I've been told to back off to a 9X6 so the motor will unwind a bit more. She tachs at about 15,500 on the ground with the 9X8. I've put a lot of work into this thing with baffled front end, pull pull, and internal elevator linkages. My control linkages are about as petite and clean as I can make them everywhere (no nuts, soldered everything in place after setting the surfaces) I sealed all my hinges and my muffler relief up front is about as tight as a guy can get it. (that only took all damn day to do!) I'm using Funtana 90 wheel pants cause the tail ends are sleeker and the orange is a perfect match (they should have used these instead of the ones it came with IMO)

The big question. Who's gonna kick who's behind? I have well over a thousand bucks in this dern thing and if I get smoked by an ultra ghetto $350 dollar set up I'm gonna be seriously irked!

I think he might actually have me though. (bastage!)

What do you think guys?

do you have the 60L or 60LX ??? the LX was mas to run 18000 rpm all day long
Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 AM
nesikachad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the LX with the high rpm modification.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 PM
bettungesvik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, it looks like nobody thinks the .76 is going to work well so I will be forced to shoe horn in the 140 (lol). Dixon, it is a good thing you have a good self asteem, because you are going to need it when you get back....
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
YUKONFLYR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: YUKONFLYR

Don't think the Dago Mustang will be that speedy with a .76 , Now if your buddy shoehorned a large YS in that Dago, then look out[X(], he just might be a contender
Like I said........................

Popcorn anybody?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 AM
nesikachad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, it looks like nobody thinks the .76 is going to work well so I will be forced to shoe horn in the 140 (lol). Dixon, it is a good thing you have a good self asteem, because you are going to need it when you get back....

"Beware the fury of the patient man."
-John Dryden

Oh, and once I'm home mister you are no longer allowed in my garage without calling ahead first. Not until after this little debate is settled. No trying to get a warrant either!

+

[center]

+

='s

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 PM
YUKONFLYR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nesikachad

"Beware the fury of the patient man."
-John Dryden

Oh, and once I'm home mister you are no longer allowed in my garage without calling ahead first. Not until after this little debate is settled. No trying to get a warrant either!

Looks like we have an offical Extreme Speed Throwdown [8D]

Can't wait to see the outcome of this one