Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Make My P-51 Scream! Part II

Old 03-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Steven H

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Make My P-51 Scream! Part II

Some of you may remember my thread from a few years back with the same name. Well I got some great suggestions from you all. I took your advise and installed a Tower Hobbies .75 in my .40 size Modeltech P-51 and it did scream. I put more flights on it than any plane I have ever owned. I even had to replace the piston and liner once after burning a hole in the piston from a lean run on 40% nitro. It finally met it's end last spring while doing a full speed pass at about 12". I didn't pay attention to the tall grass at the end of the field. The debris scatter was impressive.

Now on to the next one. I am starting with a NOS Modeltech .25 ARC P-51. I have been flying one for about five years and it is pretty quick with a .32SX. The new one is being modeled after Strega since I was in Reno this year when Tiger won the Unlimited championship in it last September.

My question is concerning engine choice. I really want this baby to scream. I mean over the top fast. Yes I know that it has thick wings and all of that, but there must be an engine that comes to mind to you speed demons out there. I am ditching the bubble canopy and going with a turtle deck and small canopy, just like full scale strega. Any airframe speed mod ideas would be appreciated too. I don't want to use a big pipe. An oversize muffler would be fine. I was thinking Jett or something similar. But I don't know which one. I have only owned O.S. engines for the most part. Let the ideas flow. I am just starting the assembly so now is the time for mods and engine choice.

thanks,

Steve
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Make My P-51 Scream! Part II

ORIGINAL: Steven H

Some of you may remember my thread from a few years back with the same name. Well I got some great suggestions from you all. I took your advise and installed a Tower Hobbies .75 in my .40 size Modeltech P-51 and it did scream. I put more flights on it than any plane I have ever owned. I even had to replace the piston and liner once after burning a hole in the piston from a lean run on 40% nitro. It finally met it's end last spring while doing a full speed pass at about 12". I didn't pay attention to the tall grass at the end of the field. The debris scatter was impressive.

Now on to the next one. I am starting with a NOS Modeltech .25 ARC P-51. I have been flying one for about five years and it is pretty quick with a .32SX. The new one is being modeled after Strega since I was in Reno this year when Tiger won the Unlimited championship in it last September.

My question is concerning engine choice. I really want this baby to scream. I mean over the top fast. Yes I know that it has thick wings and all of that, but there must be an engine that comes to mind to you speed demons out there. I am ditching the bubble canopy and going with a turtle deck and small canopy, just like full scale strega. Any airframe speed mod ideas would be appreciated too. I don't want to use a big pipe. An oversize muffler would be fine. I was thinking Jett or something similar. But I don't know which one. I have only owned O.S. engines for the most part. Let the ideas flow. I am just starting the assembly so now is the time for mods and engine choice.

thanks,

Steve
The choices are somewhat divided amongst the .25 block size and .40 block size. In the .40 block size an instant suggestion is the Jett 60LX - you get pretty-much Quickie engine power and nice throttling. I would think that would make that thing rip. Or RIP as the case may be..

In the smaller the BSE .35 is apparently purty hot, but someone else here would have to tell you the comparison between the two.

Another alternative is a 2-3 year out of date as far as the racing circuit go but still hot as blazes pylon .40, for example I saw a Nelson SS go for $76 on fleaBag sometime before Xmas. You also get the macho factor of full throttle starts. He-man [>:]! Or bargain Daven on here for that St X-.40 he apparently picked up NIB for a song recently.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:31 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Steve, mount the engine in such a way that you get the least amount of junk hanging out. I don't know about your particular plane, but in general having the engine inverted follows the lines of the P-51.
If you're not building any part of the plane, there isn't much you can do [for speed] except a clean assembly job.
Wind the antenna up on a bobbin like Darrol Cady shows at his web site.
My ultimate choice of engine would be a Nelson .40 with just a fuel line pinch off to kill the engine.
If you want this plane to be over the top, there you go.
Don't overlook the Nelson .36 combat engines if you see one for a good price.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Steven H

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am going to mount the engine inverted. The motor must have a throttle. Sorry that I didn't mention that in my original post. I plan to let the antenna hang straight out the tail of the plane. I did a little research on the Jett site. I may give them a call today.

thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming!!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Webra 50, it's very light and strong. You can run it on FAI fuel (0% nitro) and save on fuel costs with increased flight time too. Run 10% MAX nitro if you want a very small gain in power.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Holy cow! I remember that thread...It was a C L A S S I C-

All of the requisite advice has been given-

Nelson would be pretty sick. If you can find an MVVR GRRT that'd be cool also- and cheaper.