Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Gettin' it together

Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Gettin' it together

Well, all the ribbing and abuse has finally drilled it's way past my defences and I must finally give in. CP and Vicman, as the main perpetrators, should know zackly what I'm talking about.

You gotta take stock of what you have on your plate sometimes. I love flitting from project to project, I really do, but it is so darn inefficient most of the time that sometimes stuff never gets done. So, while I have about 5 designs I am dying to prototype and get into the air or into the ground depending on how things turn out, and shelves full of kits I want to build (I wanna do more FF this year..) I realize I must calm myself and leave those for later in the season and get down to what really matters:

Noise, fire and smoke! [>:]

So I am hereby shelving all other distractions, with the exception of repair/maintenance of my tiny C/L fleet with which I am enjoying a revival of interest.*

Two aircraft will be my focus from henceforth: 1. Pulsejet Fi-103R (AutoCAD is running right now with two 3-views imported in for tracing), and 2. that .65 sport speed thingamabob I sketched a few weeks back. That's it! Get 'er done boy!

MJD

*I was reminded just this morning how long it's been when I came upwind inverted at 7-8 feet and had a momentary lapse of brain function... What really happened was this was only flight three of my C/L revival, and I was flying okay but recognizing I was way out of practice. And.. 99.99% of my ukie experience is 1/2A sport. So here I am with a TF ARF Flite Streak, and I had a well used but healthy Magnum GP40 around, so put that on. Since the LG supplied is really short and the wheel is a tiny piece of crap, it won't clear a 10" prop. So on went a 9-6 APC which on a .40 is inviting rpm and speed. As it turns out, when it goes full lean due to me forgetting the backplate gasket it turns 2.8-3.0s laps on 60' lines, which according to my calculator is around 93mph allowng 3 feet for arm length. This might be considered a bit fast for a guy with about 20 successful flights total on aircraft larger than 1/2A's. But I had years of flying those and could fly them pretty well, flew some sport combat with buddies and all that, although I am sure we sucked at it in truth. I was doing okay, but of course stupid me I have to fart around more than I should..

Flight number three for me and the aircraft, once again I needled on the ground to a 2-4 setting and more towards the 4 side and ran out. And once again after a few laps it gradually went full tilt boogie. So, that plus the 3.5 ounce tank I stupidly installed was wearing me out by about halfway thorugh the flight. So, horsing around doing loops, wingover and figure eights (and horrible ones at that) I decided to try another few inverted laps - my second time - and bugger it when I decided to do a couple of outside loops that was okay but I had yanked it pretty hard coming out of the second one which on a Flite Streak is like tossing out the drogue chute. So when I levelled out inverted - or intended to - just as I was coming around upwind out of the second loop - which yes should have been a 1/4 circle earlier - I felt the lines go a bit light, panicked just enough to oscillate a couple of times before coming in inverted at maybe 5 degrees. Whack.. bits. Not that bad I guess, I stripped the mashed up outboard wing and am repairing the spar and ribs now, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to fix up ready for recovering. And it needs a new fin - everything got cleaned of fup to the tristock I put in the corners - that held! I've decided not to mess with the original colors, I'll just swatch out the wing in neon green and paint "oops!" on it or something stupid. I intend to fly this thing, not baby it.

But, it gets a longer LG leg, a decent wheel, and a 10-5 prop. Oh yeah, and the backplate gasket that I noticed was still sitting on my workbench this evening. Doh! I get it now. As it warmed up the case, it was gradually leaning over the first few laps as it sucked more and more air due to expansion from case heating and subsequent increasing air leakage.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:52 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Gettin' it together

MJD, I think fuel foaming is the main cause of the lean runs. Not traditional for C/L, but a Jett tank would be a good idea.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 AM
RocketRob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get busy man!

I just got back from a family get away to DC and while at the Air & Space Museum, I was surprised how small the V1 actually was.

Fire, Smoke and Noise![8D]
Old 03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

Get busy man!

I just got back from a family get away to DC and while at the Air & Space Museum, I was surprised how small the V1 actually was.

Fire, Smoke and Noise![8D]
Well, for pulsejet smoke I could dissolve about 10% anthracene or perhaps napthalene in the fuel mix, that ought to do the trick. The noise and fire are already taken care of!

MJD
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whad I say? [sm=what_smile.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vicman

Whad I say? [sm=what_smile.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Forgotten already, have we...?

"When MJD gets half of the 4378.24 projects he has started complete and flown I'll consider his request. Untill then it's more likely to see the air this season in my hands . Nothing personal of course "

But seriously, I really must say: Touche!

MJD
Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! I wasn't aware you grew a uterus at the same time as your newfound conviction. LOL[sm=bananahead.gif]

You got that quote perfect, and not even a cut and paste job.

I really am glad you are feeling the love buddy. I look forward to your flight reports and your cameo at our speed rally. I'll let you know if the Charlotte rocket club has a two day launch planned for that weekend and I'll go down there with you if you want to fly some rockets too.

The PJ project is the one I really want to hear about!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Who knows what kind of chunk I've bitten off with this one, but heck, let's have a go at it. The first thing I noticed about the V1 as I crawled over the 3-views was that for not a lot of wing area you get a whole lot of fat fuselage. Me thinks I will exercise a little scale leeway and bump up the wing area a bit. Other than that, the darn thing is an 1800 bomb with Hershey bars bolted to it and should be a piece of cake in the aerodynamics department. Just a big explosive farting Ugly Stick.

Another issue that irks me is the moment on the rearward mounted engine. It's a really light engine for the output luckily, 1.87lb for 18lb thrust, so hopefully with all the equipment I can think of rammed in the nose, I won't need more than maybe 2lb of ballast. If I keep the airframe weight under control I will still have all kinds of thrust to weight. Unfortunately on the model, I don't have the scale equivalent of a 830kg high explosive warhead for nose weight. Well, I'll start with a monster Rx battery and go from there.

So.. I gotta have something fast together for what is it, June, eh? This year, eh?

MJD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89501.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1159643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64605.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1159644