Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

ROSSI 60 FUEL SHORTAGE

Old 03-31-2009, 07:10 PM
BRAGUE
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ROSSI 60 FUEL SHORTAGE

Hello everyone. i have a tomhawk jet made by morris hobbies with a rossi 60 motor in the plane. when i start the motor with the plane level on the ground the motor runs great and has good idle to top speed reaction. but when i hold the plane up the engine bogs and then dies.[:@] i have checked the clunck and everything and the fuel lines are good. the fuel tank is located about 12 inches away from the motor and i am wondering if the motor does not have enough back pressure to put the fuel in the motor because it runs out of fuel.[&o]so if anyone can help me i would really be happy to finally figure it out .

Thanks ,
Cody
Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ROSSI 60 FUEL SHORTAGE

ORIGINAL: BRAGUE

Hello everyone. i have a tomhawk jet made by morris hobbies with a rossi 60 motor in the plane. when i start the motor with the plane level on the ground the motor runs great and has good idle to top speed reaction. but when i hold the plane up the engine bogs and then dies.[:@] i have checked the clunck and everything and the fuel lines are good. the fuel tank is located about 12 inches away from the motor and i am wondering if the motor does not have enough back pressure to put the fuel in the motor because it runs out of fuel.[&o]so if anyone can help me i would really be happy to finally figure it out .

Thanks ,
Cody
Yeah, I'd say 12" is a long way to draw fuel without a pump. No wonder you are having troubles. Is that what it calls for?

Open the high speed needle a good chunk - 1/3 - 1/2 turn I'd guess. Now, start it, let it get warm, and tune the top end with the nose up instead of level. Start with 45 degrees - adjust the top end for peak minus a few hundred rpm (p.s. what is the exhaust system?). Now put the nose level. What happens? Is it abominably rich or just more rich? If the latter, you're getting somewhere. Try adjusting it with the nose higher, then nose down again. If it runs acceptably with the nose level now, try that. You will have to set it rich enough that you don't starve it on the uplines. If you peak it level, you'll have much misery.

But myself, I would never try to draw fuel that far without a pump system.

MJD

Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 PM
BRAGUE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for a reply. we have already tried all of that and i can see that there is no fuel left when i pick the plane up it is running out of fuel. i have heard of a pump system but can you tell what kind i need or the type of the brand would be nice. thanks for all your help

Cody
Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM
snappa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

perry pumps google it
Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

personally , i think you have a leak in your fuel lines,and you would benefit from using a checkvalve in your pressure line, as well. how large is the diameter of your pressure tap, it should be a a 8-32 fitting. if all this doesnt fix your issue then this link is the direct source ....http://www.perrypumps.com
Old 04-01-2009, 06:40 PM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Cline regulator is also a common cure for this. The pattern guys use them sometimes when the tanks are mounted on the CG. the way they work is the engine is set up using case pressure (very strong) and then the regulator maintains a consistent diminished amount to provide a good constant mixture. I have never heard anything bad about them. they are a little expensive though.
Here is the link http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/

Personally I never had luck with the Perry pumps.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:28 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

The Cline regulator is also a common cure for this. The pattern guys use them sometimes when the tanks are mounted on the CG. the way they work is the engine is set up using case pressure (very strong) and then the regulator maintains a consistent diminished amount to provide a good constant mixture. I have never heard anything bad about them. they are a little expensive though.
Here is the link http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/

Personally I never had luck with the Perry pumps.
Perry pumps work ok if the carb was intended to be used with a pump like a Perry "pump" carb. If you use it on on a normal carb, the mid range is crazy fat since you can't adjust that area.

Cline systems work great with most standard carbs. You do need to tap the case for pressure and the regulator needs to be close to the carb for best results. It won't help much with a foaming problem. Isolate the tank and use an OS bubble-less clunk for that.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freakingfast
Cline systems work great with most standard carbs. You do need to tap the case for pressure and the regulator needs to be close to the carb for best results. It won't help much with a foaming problem. Isolate the tank and use an OS bubble-less clunk for that.
Alternatively solve that problem permanently with a bladder tank. Jett has a 12oz. No foam needed.

MJD
Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A bladder tank will stop foaming, but it won't fix a fuel delivery problem because of a 12" remotely located fuel tank. As you already said that's a long way.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:09 PM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oddly enough, a shot of Armour All in the jug of fuel stops foaming also! I do not think foaming is the problem here though.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 PM
BiggerDanno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Would lemonade work too?

How did you discover that armour all works?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think it was 5 drops of Armour All or STP's "Son Of A Gun" per gallon of fuel to help stop foaming. It does work, but it takes it's toll on the glow plug.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

A bladder tank will stop foaming, but it won't fix a fuel delivery problem because of a 12" remotely located fuel tank. As you already said that's a long way.
Right I know, but it will stop foaming and that's all I meant to say it would do - but I see after reading it again my answer was not well written to refer just to the foam issue. If the problem was only fuel foaming, that would be a nice easy fix - but I doubt it. I can't talk from experience trying to draw fuel 12" because I'd never even bother to try - I have enough problems when the lines are 6"..

MJD
Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 PM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was at a CL contest and somebody heavily shook a jug of fuel to demonstrate the foaming. Then he added some drops of Armour All and no matter how hard he shook it, it would not foam.

With that being said though, I have never had a fuel foaming problem. So I have never added anything to my fuel. Not sure of any downside but like I said, I believe the problem is the distance of the tank.