Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Outlaw with webra .36 problems

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Outlaw with webra .36 problems

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Outlaw with webra .36 problems

17,500 is really good. I'm getting 16,600 with a Jett Muffler on the same prop and fuel. I'll try the K&B plugs as I'm going through a plug about every 3 flights.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
newflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MJB,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am glad to get this bird done! I will order a couple of different wooden props and try them to see what I get out of them.

Newflyer
Old 04-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Strykaas

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Just to let you know what that engine is capable of or what you are shooting for with a mousse can:

The best top speed AND best acceleration with this engine and plane combo have been with an APC 9X7 prop @ 17,500 RPM on 10% fuel using a Macs tuned pipe with the stinger’s I.D. reduced to 5/16â€. The pressure tap is on the pipe’s apex. He used a 1120 and a #1140 but I would suggest the Macs # 1130 tuned pipe and reduced stinger. OS plugs (8 thru 5) have not been so good on these engines in respect of plug life or smooth operating range. Look at Rossi # 4 , # 5, or my favorites the K&B 1-L, K&B HP.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7589177
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7644321
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7871483

newflyer, the link you had above is for the Webra 55 not the 36, even so don't think the props the MFRs list are written in stone.

A 9X8.5 is too much load to get the engine into where it makes most of it's power.

Example: 9X8.5 @ 14200 = .98 HP VS 9X7 @ 17500 = 1.79 HP with higher thrust, unload and pitch speed.

These engines should be broke in with a light load prop at wide open throttle rich two stroke with a known working exhaust/muffler first.

0 to 10% nitro for best results.

I hope this helps.
Useful information. However, many are advertising the 8x8 as the prop of choice for this engine/airplane combination. What do you think ? Have you ever noticed any difference ? My guess is that the 8*8 will yield higher rpms, hence reduce engine life...
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
freakingfast

It would be a close match between the two with the right pipe tune for each prop. The 8X8 will be screaming higher for sure, which may lead to greater perceived speed. Engine life could be less like you said. The Outlaw is a bit draggy, I'm thinking it needs the 9" disc area.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: newflyer

MJB,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am glad to get this bird done! I will order a couple of different wooden props and try them to see what I get out of them.

Newflyer
The only wood prop I run on it would be a Vess 9X7. Wood props do spool up faster than plastic but the APC at high RPM may be a tad more efficient. Loose that big 9X8.5, shorten the header and find the power. You wont get away with more than 10% nitro at those rpm ranges unless the engine has already self reduced it's compression by conrod or piston damage (lost the pinch) at which point the end may be near or it may never reach it's full potential.

If you are uncomfortable about adjusting the needle that close to the prop, you can rotate the carb so the needle is angled rearward if you put a ball link on the throttle arm.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

17,500 is really good. I'm getting 16,600 with a Jett Muffler on the same prop and fuel. I'll try the K&B plugs as I'm going through a plug about every 3 flights.
Are you blowing out OS #8 glow plugs ?
It's amazing what the right plug can do, some engines are real touchy about it and some run on anything that glows. Get a few kinds and try them. Foaming fuel can eat plugs too so don't rule that out as a cause.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Webra's listed max rpm and prop choices don't make any sense to me. My OS .32 has never seen anything below 18,000 rpm [with a 8x8 prop] and it is entering it's 9th Summer of service. I would hope that the Webra is built just as well for what they cost.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 AM
freakingfast

I have a PBF (Pizza Box Flier or coroplast square ) with a OS 32 and Mac's tuned pipe, screaming the tips off the cheap black MAS 10X4 props. I can't tell you how many times this thing has eaten dirt by the hands of many. Eight props in one day I remember. It's outlasted several PBFs and servos.
And so many gallons of fuel. The thing and pipe were black with gunk so I tore it down and glass bead the engine and polished the pipe. Even reused the same bearings. It still runs strong and looks new. I have brand new one on a un-flown LR-1. Great little engine, what was OS thinking with stopping production? The Webra 36 is a more powerful engine and the best replacement but I don't think it will last as long.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Are you blowing out OS #8 glow plugs ?
It's amazing what the right plug can do, some engines are real touchy about it and some run on anything that glows. Get a few kinds and try them. Foaming fuel can eat plugs too so don't rule that out as a cause.
Yes, OS 8's and Fox Miracle plugs.

The Webra can handle much more than 17k - 18k. The Weston (UK) line of engines are modified Webra's and they spin in the 20k range.
There are quite a few Outlaws in my area. None have been faster than mine with the .36 /Jett muffler, an APC 9x7 and 10% (with castor). One guy had a .36 an APC 8x8 and a full tuned pipe spinning close to 18 grand. The speed between his plane and mine is impercievable. Although his plane sounded much louder and therefore had the perception of going faster. Side by side straight and level proved otherwise.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 PM
freakingfast

The Fox Miracle plug is a hot plug, you can even run it in a four stroke, too hot for your needs I think but it has a tuff element so it may seem to last. In the last few years I don't know what happened to the OS #8s. A while back I had 3 or 4 out of a dozen that were DOA!

I no longer use any OS plugs, poor life and too many duds from what I have seen. The K&B 1-L may still be too hot, but the K&B HP or the Enya #4 or #5 are all good to as low as 10% nitro and may be just the ticket. Think of your glow plug as your ignition timing. To hot and it's too far advanced and the cylinder pressures are sky high, so high in fact that it mangles and distorts the plugs element. The engine is fighting it's self.

Good engine and plug match examples: OS 46 VXDF on 30% @ 25K with K&B HP plugs about twenty flights and performance degrades. OS 70 heli motor on 30% turning a prop at 16K with K&B HP or Enya #5 plugs about 30 flights before burn out. YS 45 RE @ 17K on 30% Enya #5 about 25 flights. Webra 55 on 10% @ 16K plugs: Enya #4 or K&B 1-L about 35 flights per plug.

OS #8 in the above engines last one or two flights and OS A5(now known as OS #10) or R5 last a bit longer but the engines don't seem to run as well.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM
combatpigg

[quote]ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

[quote]ORIGINAL: freakingfast

....... One guy had a .36 an APC 8x8 and a full tuned pipe spinning close to 18 grand. The speed between his plane and mine is impercievable. Although his plane sounded much louder and therefore had the perception of going faster. Side by side straight and level proved otherwise.

Yep, unless you're racing 10 lap heats where the difference of 1 second at the end of a 1 minute long race means winning by 200 feet, it doesn't pay to beat your brains out looking for a few percent of extra power. Like you say, you're already going about as fast as you're going to go, anyway.
Nothing beats the sound of a piped engine though[8D]
Old 04-30-2009, 04:36 PM
newflyer

Sorry I haven't responded in a few days! Been busy at home with the whole spring shrub/flower honey do things! I ordered a APC 8X8 prop and a 9X7 and will order a Vess 9X7 prop next week. The motor seems to be running good finally. I have gotten my Diamond Dust out and run it for a tank ,also got my 1.20 size mustang out and got it started up and ran a tank through it. Brought my raptor .50 in today and got one tank through it. Only leaves my KMP Pitts 12 to bring to the shop and get it charged up and a tank run throught it and I should be ready for flying season. It's been raining here off and on this whole week and the ground is nothing but mush plus I have to be at a distributor open house this weekend in K.C. so no flying here but as soon as I can I will get to the field and try the different props and the mousse can with the 5/16" stinger and see which combo works the best. I bought 2 of each props so that my buddy can have one since these are for us to race around with at the field. He still has the mousse can with the 1/4" stinger on it and the one time we flew his it seem to run great. I can't figure out the difference in the two. Both were bought at the same time (motors and planes) built the same way at the same time and about the only difference is my header has black paint on it and I have different servos in it.
I'll check in with you guys as soon as I can make it to the field with the Outlaw!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM
combatpigg

Sounds like you have more fast stuff to play with than you can shake a stick at!
IIRC, the mousse can pipe I built from SPADALLTHEWAY [or something like that] uses a 1/4" hole for the outlet....no stinger. It gave a LA .40 a 1000 rpm boost with a 11x4 prop. I think the aspect ratio of the stinger [diameter x length] has some effect, it does with full sized racing engines.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
newflyer

combatpigg,
Yeah I like the fast ones! I am working on buying a Sundowner right now. A new guy at our field has a .50 size one with a 50 hyper heli motor in it and man it screams around the field! We are lucky that we have a 80'X600' grass runway to land on and we have an open cattle field that we fly over. Sometimes I need all 600' of the runway to get some of my planes on the ground. I'll try to get a picture of them all in one shot here in the next week or so.

Newflyer
Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: newflyer

Danno,
that is what I am thinking too. I just bought 2 new butane cans and a brass stinger that is 5/16" and another one that is 3/8". The one that we have on the motor now is 1/4". I think it is causing too much back pressure and it is causing the motor to get too much fuel and the needle can't lean it out.

Newflyer

Your stingers do look kinda small, and very long...

But too much tankpressure making it impossible for you to run your engines rich? No way...when you close the needle you will effectively shut off the fuel supply, no matter what pressure...
Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Strykaas

Hi rudeboy, how are you doing ??