Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Finished my Dominator, but it's HEAVY

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Finished my Dominator, but it's HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 PM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished my Dominator, but it's HEAVY

As the title says I just built a Lanier Dominator that I've had in various states of completion for about 2 years now. It came out extremely tail heavy and even after switching out the standard tail servos for HS85mgs it still needed 1.4 ounces of weight on the nose to balance at the recommended 2.75 inches back from the wing. Also my plane weighs 4 pounds 2 ounces. I keep reading that they should weight about 3.5 pounds. On the other hand it seems to fly fine and since this is my first Q500 type plane I can't compare it with anything. Seemed a tad sluggish on the controls but showed no bad habits. Landing is as hard as I've been reading about, it just wants to float forever. I'm guessing the weight is from the rock hard, dense balsa that comes in the kit. The wing was bagged with gorilla glue so there's barely any unnessary weight there and the rest of the plane was built to plans. I used a conventional tail. I'm running a TTpro 46 with a 9x7 prop. It's a fun plane, I just wish it came out lighter.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46623.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	1175392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95431.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	1175393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68040.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	1175394  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Finished my Dominator, but it's HEAVY

Very nice. 4 pounds is still great for that much power. Hope you get 1000 flights out of it.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Finished my Dominator, but it's HEAVY

Whoa, check out the finish, thanks for making me look like a putz. Well okay, I did that myself, but my self-esteem bubble just detonated. [&o]

It looks great! Yes, it is surprising how light balsa can be, but it can also surprise you just how dense it can get. And even more surprising is that it gets cut and kitted as often as it does.. but of course selectivity drives cost. Some of the hardest balsa wood I have ever touched came in a Phaeton 40 kit. I have no idea what the AUW would be, I disemboweled the kit for materials and parts after the weight of the fuselage got so high at some point during construction it began to frighten me.

MJD